Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
    Boolit Bub

Need to upgrade from Lee Lubrisizer

I want something faster and automated but on a budget.

I searched around and couldn't find much.

Whats out there(considering I spend $18 on the lee setup)

lee makes a lubrisizer ? i'm aware of the lee sizing only die ..... as for automated and budget ...depends on how big the budget is ( mine's currently non-existent :P ) best bet would be a used 45 or 450 which is also the next logical step up , prices vary but each sizing die cost more than the lee set up ( new vs. new ) and the lubrisizer alone would run $50-$100 plus still needed would be a top punch AND labor ( soz no automation ) used within it's limits the lee system and their LLA works , ummm quicker and easier than a manually operated lubrasizer anyways
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Bub
    I thought it was called the lubrisizer but now that I think of it that makes no sense because I lube them.

Its just the Lee sizing die.

I dont need to lube them at the same time was just wondering if there was a hopper style system similar to a progressive setup.

Boolit Master
    This is going to boil down to two things:

How fast do you want to be

What do you want to spend!

Now the Lee system is pretty basic and about the same level of production as pan lubing, however I think pan lubing is less messy.

The next step up is a machine and the already mentioned Lyman 450 is a prime example, as well as the fact that Lyman has made lube sizers for years means a bunch of them are out there at reasonable prices.

So here's the advise part: decide on what you shoot a month and then fudge that number by 40%.

Now that you have a figure you can set a goal

200 a month: any of the early lube sizers price range 40 to 70 bucks

300 to 400 a month: look to spend a little more for a 450 or RCBS LAM or, if you get lucky, a Saeco! Price range 90 to 120 bucks

400 or more: look to either a Saeco or better yet get a Star price range 190 to 275 bucks.

Some say start with the cheaper / older gear and work up. I've been there and done that and, had I had the chance to use a Star before I spent my first dime on the old gear, I would never have done it!

Yes you can resell all the old style sizer stuff but in the end you lose money.

Now you my have no need of the abilities of a Star, in which case much of the older sizers are very serviceable, but make sure you are honest with yourself on what your future needs will be and then plan accordingly.

Simply put buy right the first time and you'll be a lot happier!

Boolit Master

I think my sig line says it all.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    This is going to boil down to two things:

How fast do you want to be

What do you want to spend!

Now the Lee system is pretty basic and about the same level of production as pan lubing, however I think pan lubing is less messy.

The next step up is a machine and the already mentioned Lyman 450 is a prime example, as well as the fact that Lyman has made lube sizers for years means a bunch of them are out there at reasonable prices.

So here's the advise part: decide on what you shoot a month and then fudge that number by 40%.

Now that you have a figure you can set a goal

200 a month: any of the early lube sizers price range 40 to 70 bucks

300 to 400 a month: look to spend a little more for a 450 or RCBS LAM or, if you get lucky, a Saeco! Price range 90 to 120 bucks

400 or more: look to either a Saeco or better yet get a Star price range 190 to 275 bucks.

Some say start with the cheaper / older gear and work up. I've been there and done that and, had I had the chance to use a Star before I spent my first dime on the old gear, I would never have done it!

Yes you can resell all the old style sizer stuff but in the end you lose money.

Now you my have no need of the abilities of a Star, in which case much of the older sizers are very serviceable, but make sure you are honest with yourself on what your future needs will be and then plan accordingly.

Simply put buy right the first time and you'll be a lot happier!
    What do you mean by early lubrisizers?

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    I think my sig line says it all.
    Cheap and fast

A Lyman 450 (not the current model) from eBay for $75 handles 1,000 bullets a month very nicely. Chances are you will have to buy a sizing die and top punch, so there's more stuff to buy. Oh, forgot the lube too.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master

Early lube/sizers = Lyman 45/450/4500, Lachmiller/RCBS/LAM (all the same). These all use the same dies and nose punches.

Next step up (some say) - SAECO. costs more, dies cost more, and are not interchangeable w/Lyman/RCBS.

Next step up - Star. About $250, and dies are more expensive yet, unless purchased from Lathesmith on this forum, who does great work. Stars are available occasionally on eBay for about $200 + shipping.

I have a Star that I generally use for my pistol boolits. I have a couple of Lachmillers I use for rifle boolits - easier to install GC's, I think.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

ADMIN

This has been the question asked hundreds of times

You want to buy the LAST sizer/luber you ever will buy?
    Then buy a Star.
    You NEVER hear anyone say, My Star sucks I am gonna upgrade to a Lyman 4500 or a Saeco

Boolit Mold
    just got a magma/star.... they went up in price..... 275 now

Banned

If you want automated, I think Magma Engineering also makes a fully automated lube/sizer with an optional powerfed boolit collator, so all you do is dump the boolits in the hopper and stick a bucket under the sizer die. It's about nine thousand dollars for the setup.

I prefer the old Lyman 45's for most stuff, if the sizing job is a tough one I use a push-through (Lee) first, then run through the same size die in the 45 to lube. I have a Lyman 450 too, but it's so sloppy that it only gets used for really short boolits whose accuracy isn't critical.

Like Doby said, check out his sig line.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    I got by with a Lyman 45 for many, many years. It just works.
    I got my Star when I started shooting lots of pistol cartridge lever actions. I wanted to save time when sizing 500 bullets at one sitting.
    You will find nothing even close to as cheap as the Lee. Like you said, it is also only sizing and you are stuck with lubing by some other method.
    Doby is right- you can get fast and good, but it sure won't be cheap! It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend and none of us can answer that for you.

Have you looked at any of the gun shows around you? Some times you can find a good deal on a lube sizer. Like the person that posted about a 2 weeks ago, he bought a Star sizer used for 15$. It need O rings and a general clean up and had working in no time.

Another good place to try, is a farmers/flea market or swap meet. Some times you can find stuff there as well.

I have been using Lyman machines since the 50's and won't change now as I have so much tied up in dies. If I were starting over I would go with the RCBS because of their customer service.

If want to go up, skip the SAECO and go with the Star. It is the nee plus ultra of lubesize machines.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with Chargar on skipping the Saaco, it doesn't do anything the Lyman or RCBS won't but uses different dies and top punches. Some will claim It is more precise about alignment of the die and punch but I have not had trouble with the much cheaper Lyman.
    The Star is sort of the ultimate sizer. Fast, easy to use, and the nose first is easier on the bullets in some cases.

Pretty darned hard to find anything faster or easier than the Lee push through sizers. Nose first and caught in a little catch bin. Stuff the bullets in a bag, swirl em' around and voila, lubed. Doesn't get much easier than that. I use a Star and it's fast also, but the guys that really get it going are the Star guys with the auto bullet feeders and air systems. Lots of bucks though. The Alox lube works just fine for pistol rounds, ( even through my pistol caliber rifles up to 1700fps) no problem. But..if you just don't like the liquid alox type lube, then be prepared to spend a little more than $18.00.. I think when I bought my lee sizers they were 12something. I still use the lubrasizer most of the time, but have started to use the Lee sizers a little more often and think they're a bargain.

In Remebrance

I have the Lee, RCBS, Lyman 45 and 450. I've gone through periods where I was running off better than a thousand rounds a month. I prefer the 45 to the 450 and the RCBS to the 45. The Lee is just a different system. So is the Star. If I shot strictly pistol I'd consider a Star, but some of the Star users have a near religious love of the rig. Must be it impresses them.

I also started off with a lee push through. Worked pretty good. Now that I have that 450, it's a new story. I love it and it works great. I ran 600 through last week alone. Never a hiccup or problem and it was plenty quick (I did that in a little over an hour and a half) Great machine. Thanks guys!

For the record: I size all rifle bullet in a push through die. They are then lubed in a Lyman machine. All handgun bullets get lubed and sized in a Lyman machine.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.