RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unhappy with w-231

As others indicate, I've had zero problems with this powder in my Ohaus DU-0-Measure, an ancient design by some standards. It meters like water and nary a variation of more than .1 grain.

Banned
    It is my powder of choice when it comes to light to medium handgun loads.

WW-231 has been my go to powder for 45 ACP and 38 Special for a lot of years. Economical and clean and meters very well. Watch Graf's. The often sell cannister powders with the prefix SMP. SMP = St. Marks Powder (Primex Technologies in St. Marks, FL) They are the OEM manufacturer of WW-231. SMP 231 is WW-231. SMP-289 is the Old WAP discontinued a few years ago. Sure miss that powder.

Jeff
    A woman has the last word in any argument.
    Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Moderator Emeritus

Just for information, WAP is available as Ramshot Silhouette powder. I've compared data for both and they're the same, and Western Powders says they're the same powder.

Hope this helps.

Fred

In Remembrance

About 2 1/2 weeks back I loaded up some 40 S&W cases with 5 1/2 grs. 231 and a 180 gr. "J" word bullets for a friends M 35 Glock. After shooting the 25 rounds I had loaded - no bullseye area left on the target from shooting at 20 yds.Robert

"Since Hogdon took over the Winchester powder business, several Winchester and Hogdon powders are now identical but still packaged under both numbers.

WW231 = HP38...

This can be confirmed by contacting Hogdons."

I thought this was pretty cool info. One question though, I use the Lazer-
    cast Reloading manual and they show different loads for the same velocities with these two powders. For example, 4.8 gr of 231 pushes the 200 gr SWC at 796 fps, while they have HP-38 at 4.4 gr yielding 798 FPS with the same bullet. Makes me wonder to trust the data if they are the same powder. any thoughts?
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Moderator Emeritus

It depends on the test conditions at the time. I test my loads over my chronograph and only use the manuals as guides for developing loads. The readings from the screens tell the real story, and I've found H-110 and Win. 296 to be the same.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Bub
    I've used 231 for over 10 years and never had a metering issue. HP38 is same stuff, only reason to change up is a SALE somplace. Just never mix the lots......

Boolit Master
    I have run 231 & HP38 for years in my Dillon 550b presses with no metering problems. I do not recommend using the load data interchangeably. I use several reloading manuals and cross reference. The amount for my Lead Light magnum .357 (1000fps) data is slightly different between Hp38 and 231.

BTW I have noticed the static problem and the idea of grounding in something I am going to check into.
    A further explanation of how to do this would be interesting maybe on a new thread.

Good Luck and use safe reloading practices.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    MPbarry: different lots of the same powder will give slightly different results. H110 -W296 have been rumored to be the same for years. Most manuals list slightly different loads and speeds.