WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with magna star

Boolit Man

Need help with magna star

I need help with the new star I didn't even get a bullet lubed and broke the O ring, I'm sure it is something I'm doing wrong but you don't get very good instructions, anyway the top O ring is shot anybody know where to get one and what size and any idea what the He!! I did wrong. useing BAC don't know if lube was to stiff or if I miss measured the lube groove I just don't know. any help would be appreciated
    Terry

no expert on parts replacement, but I would call magna star 480.987.9008 . Some of the fellows may have a fsster suggestion. Should be seeing my spankning new Magna Star Friday, ordered the Air feed and heater.

Sure wish we had our one secition

Boolit Master

I need more information. How do you know the O ring is broken?

I will assume you installed a sizing die into the Star and seated it all the way down so the flange on the die is sitting flush on the Star machine. -- Based on your statement, you tried lubing some bullets and....??? -- Is lube coming out somewhere that concerns you? You mention "miss measured the lube groove" -- that, in and of itself would not have anything to do with a broken O ring. -- Did you remove the die and actually see a broken O-ring?

Please tell us more...take us through your set-up and trial run ...step-by-step.
    Jon

Boolit Man
    yes I remove the die I have the broken O ring in my pocket, I tried to size and lube a couple of bullets no lube was coming out of the star so I cranked the presure up until I got lube from the star and replaced the die and tried again, no lube on the bullets after couple of passes with the bullets with no lube I pulled the die and their was lube all inside where the die goes and a broke O ring
    Terry

Boolit Bub
    Tag, gotoypur favorite hardware store and get #14 size "O" rings. Actual size is 15/16" O.D. x 3/4" I.D. x3/32". They work like a charm

Broke my oring the first or second time I tryed to remove a die in my new Magma star.
    I left it out and only use the lower oring.Works fine no leaks
    Steve

Dies go in and out easier too

Boolit Man
    Thanks, any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    Terry

Boolit Man
    no O ring Steve? Really
    Terry

Boolit Master

If you are using the Star and no lube is oozing out around the die flange, then you should be OK. -- THose rings, (Its been said already), are common and can be purchased at your local hardware store. Its an easy fix.

In the future, do a couple of precautionary things before you install / remove the dies to limit breakage of the seal. These are things that I do...
    1. Heat up the Star around the die before inserting or extracting.
    2. Rub a little oil/grease (just a little) on the outside of the die before installing.
    Jon

watch the star videos on youtube put out by magma engineering...I think they're also on there website. It should give you some info to help set up your machine.

Without a bullet in the die and the die installed in the machine, can you even get lube to push out then? If lube will come out without a bullet, you need to adjust your bullet height until. If you aren't getting lube, does your sizer feel cold? I think that my Lyman can go a little cooler in temp before lube won;t move than my Star will.

Hopefully some of this helps
    Tim

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys, I'll get back at it tomorrow. I did not even think to try it without the bullet in the die I did try it without the die, the lube seem stiff but I did manage to get it to flowout of the luber/sizer I have it set on a heater but it may have still been to cold. so if I get it flowing without the bullet do I simply adjust the punch up or down untill it lubes the bullet?
    Terry

If you have the die out, make a measurement from the top of the die to the base of the bullet. Then set the sizer to push the bullet to this depth at the end of the lubing stroke. Magna has a youtube video here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/magmaeng.../4/wtlW5czTpSM

Boolit Buddy
    I am by no means an expert with a Star as I have only had mine set up for three weeks. Using 2500 plus lube with the lube too cool if I managed to get lube into the lube grooves it required to much pressure and also lubed the nose of the next boolit. I had to push the boolit out, let the extra lube blead into the die and once the lube warmed adjusting the holes to the lube grooves was fairly easy. I think if you cannot pump lube through the die freely with no boolit in the die the lube is to cool and any attempt at adjusting is like beating your head on a wall. This is what I have learned so far anyway hope it helps.

Boolit Man
    Thanks mack1, all of the suggestions and ideas help, I think I was pretty close on the lube groove but it would not flow through the die into the groove, must have been to cold, I'm useing BAC because it is a little cool in the reloading shed and its suppose to flow a little better when cool
    Terry

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    no O ring Steve? Really
    Really... and the dies slide in and out alot easier.
    Steve

Boolit Man
    I'm still not getting a complete fillout in the lube groove, this is a 9mm lee 125 round nose, if I add more presure it lubes the nose. would more heat help with the groove fill out?
    Terry

Boolit Master

Forget the O-ring. I don't use it on my 3 Stars, and they work just fine. If you are having trouble getting lube through the die with no bullet then the lube is way too cold, it should basically squirt out of there with no bullet if it has pressure. If you get incomplete fill-out then try moving the punch up or down a bit and see what happens. Or try more pressure.

Boolit Man
    if I add more pressure I get lube on the nose, without a bulllet in the die the handle bottoms out as the lube flows into the die but with a bullet in the die the handle does not come all the way back to the top of the die. is this normal?
    Terry

Size from Magma

I had always order #14, however Magma just sent me note that #116 was correct, but I think it's same dimensions as other member listed. This is form their emal
    MAGMA O RING (#116) 15/16X3/4X3/32
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting