Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: 9mm TC mold

9mm TC mold

I was poking about in one of my favorite gun shops today, and came across an RCBS 9mm-124-CN truncated cone two cavity mold in new condition. I am sure it has never been used. They wanted $25.00 for it so it came home with me. I see that the new Lyman manual has some loads for this boolit so I'm good to go there. Has anyone used this boolit? Any comments, favorite powders, alloy, comments about how large it usually casts in your alloy, etc. would be welcome. I'm new to 9mm cast boolits, but have dipped my toe in the water with the Lee 358-105-TC, and the Lee 358-125-RF, but only just a bit. I had sized those boolits at .358, but I don't know if this mold will drop boolits that large, or not.

Boolit Bub
    Love the boolit hate the lack of load data for it

Take a powder like WST that already has limited info and you will be in my position.

The new Lyman manual lists quite a few loads with that boolit.

Boolit Bub
    Could you post a 124gr TC mold WST/Bullseye/WSF load around 1075fps ? I am trying to gather as much info as I can for 9mm minor uspsa.

As far as the bullet itself I find my lee molds always throw better TC bullets than LRN.

at 25 yds groups shrink like 1" in my experience over lrn (shooting through carbine). They feed well but i don't really have any problems with lrn.

I will also say if you have lee's 124gr lrn mold it is easy to mix up the bullets(they look similar).

Boolit Master

The RCBS #1 Cast Bullet Manual lists:

5.0 1135
    4.5 1015

700X
    3.6 104
    3.1 902

Bullseye
    4.0 987
    3.5 852

Unique
    5.2 1166
    4.7 1083

The boolit in the Lyman Manual will be the 356402 which is lighter, kinda' looks the same. I would size 358, but what ever you gun says.

Doug

Boolit Buddy
    South Louisiana, right between New Orleans and Baton Rouge
    WSF 4.6g / OAL 1.055 and a LEE 122 TC bullet (same profile) gets me 1083 fps out of my CZ 85 Combat.

Lyman #4 maual lists the RCBS 9mm-124-CN with 3.7 grains of Bullseye for 1036 fps at 26,000 psi, and 4.1 grains of Bullseye for 1136 fps at 30,000 psi. as a MAX. load.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    Lyman #4 maual lists the RCBS 9mm-124-CN with 3.7 grains of Bullseye for 1036 fps at 26,000 psi, and 4.1 grains of Bullseye for 1136 fps at 30,000 psi. as a MAX. load.
    What OAL?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
    What OAL?
    That style of bullet is usually seated with the juncture of the cone and drive surface of the bullet at the front edge of the case. With the 3 mgrs that I'm aware of the point length is different between RCBS, Lyman(longest) and Lee(shortest) resulting in 3 different OALs with basically the same amount of bullet in the case and basically the same pressure.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Man
    Fecmech said:
    “With the 3 mgrs that I'm aware of the point length is different between RCBS, Lyman(longest) and Lee(shortest) resulting in 3 different OALs with basically the same amount of bullet in the case and basically the same pressure.”

This is very true. I went so far as to make a spread sheet to help me keep up with “Powder Length” for all my reloads.

This is the 9MM portion of my Loading Cheat Sheet.

Oal

Quote Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
    What OAL?
    Sorry for leaving that out since it is critical for 9mm loads. Lyman lists1.050 as the OAL those loads were tested at.