Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharps rifle questions

Boolit Master
    Warren, I had an older Pedersoli and the sight acted as you mentioned, i.e. It would not fold back, only forward. The Pedersoli sight was designed to be mounted in two ways, depending on what kind of rifle it was mounted on. I found that in order to get mine to work correctly (with the long leg of the base on top) I had to carefully modify the detent for the spring in the sight base. I took just a bit of material out nd the sight then operated correctly.

Actually I still have that sight, but not the rifle. It works well, especially with the Hadley I added to it. It is bulky as heck though.

Edit: i should add that there is some adjustment in the spring, but it was insufficient on my rifle. I imagine that you've fiddled with that already?

Chris.

Edit: i should add that there is some adjustment in the spring, but it was insufficient on my rifle. I imagine that you've fiddled with that already?

Just enough to be dangerous.
    Warren

I put that sight on my Cimarron 1874 Creedmoor. It took quite a bit of fiddling around to have the sight perpendicular to the bore in the 'up' position. There's just enough clearance when folded back to clean from the breach. I love the Hadley on it, but wish Merit made one that would fit.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post

Recently he bought a C. Sharps Rifle in 38-55 Calibre. It is a beautiful looking rifle and is accurate as the bigger calibres at least up to 300 yds. The recoil is a joke compared to the bigger ones and it is lighter and uses less powder and less lead to make the boolits. This is the prececessor of the 30-30 in .38 calibre and although a mite lite for hunting it is a fine BPCR target rifle that is easy on the pocketbook and the shoulder.

If you are not going to hunt with this rifle then think about the 38-55 as it will save you a lot of money and pain.
    With all due respect, I would submit that that piddly 38-55 (which was the larger father of the .30-30) and its 30-30 offspring have killed more deer than you can shake a stick at. I have a 1894 in 38-55 made in 1900. It is tight as a tick, a pleasure to shoot, and deadly accurate with a 265 gr lead boolit. I would not hesitate in taking it deer hunting or hunting for any other game of the same size with one exception.....antelope (and only because of how hard it is to sneak up within a county or two of the pronghorn without being seen.) I also wouldn't turn it down on a black bear hunt as it is certainly capable of doing the job. Just my humble opinion. I would pass on using it on elk or moose here in Alaska though.

I have to second what AKGrouch has said. Reports on the new Pedersoli Hi-Wall in 38-55 indicate that with a 360 grain boolit, it will easily take a steel ram down at 500 yards. Even using the 250 ~ 265 grain boolits, it's more than enough for a deer at 200 yards. With an RCBS 312 BPS boolit weighing 318 grains and leaving my rifle at 1319 fps, it takes a steel ram down at 225 yards reliably. There's nothing "lite" about it's performance.

Has anyone used either of the RD 45 boolits in a Sharps? Looking at Trapdoor fps with smokeless. If so would a guy need a gas check?
    Thanks

Well I didnt get the rifle from gun broker b/c I found 1 from a friends friend its an 1874 Sharps shiloh in new condition hes only fired 50rnds threw it hes gonna let me make a few payment on it so ill have it in a couple months thanks for all the reply's cant wait to get it...
    Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice

Good for you let us know how it shoots.
    Warren
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

I tried to soot the above mentioned Pedersoli sharps today. I'm only 46 but I have to admit the eyes aren't what they use to be. The rear aperture is so small I can't see through it. It's to dark, is there any place I can get one with a larger hole in it?
    Thanks
    Warren

Longwood
    I had the same problem with my Uberti tang sight so I simply drilled it larger a little at a time with number drills until it worked for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 161 View Post
    I tried to soot the above mentioned Pedersoli sharps today. I'm only 46 but I have to admit the eyes aren't what they use to be. The rear aperture is so small I can't see through it. It's to dark, is there any place I can get one with a larger hole in it?
    Thanks
    Warren
    Pedersoli makes a Hadley disc for your sight. It has a number of different sized appertures. The apperture size is selectable with a tumb wheel. I added one of those to mine.

One other thing that helps if it's too dark is to use a slightly larger insert in the front sight.

Chris.

Thanks
    Warren
    Too small? Are you sure you aren’t shooting a Hadley turned down to the smallest aperture?
    http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...oli/Detail.bok
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Gunlaker
    I tried to work the rear sight like you said you did. I took the spring out before I removed any metal and swung the sight rearward, it will hit the stock before the spring would catch the next notch in the sight. You did say the long side of the base goes forward didn't you?

Longwood
    I thought I might just drill the rear aperture out what size drill did you settle on?

wills
    No it's just a single aperture wish I had one like you pointed out.
    Thanks
    Warren

Longwood
    Can't remember, I sold it and installed a Wm. Malcolm style scope.
    I used a set of number drills but I could have gotten by with a fraction drill since the size of the hole is not all that important. Try a piece of metal held in place with tape in place of the eyepiece and checking to see if you can see through it OK. Keep removing and drilling bigger holes in it till it works for you then drill out the sight with that drill.

On checking my other tang site, I retract the part about using fraction drills. Enlarging by 1/64th may not work for your much younger eyes. I just called the guy I sold the sight to and he says it is now a number 56 hole and a smaller one may work better for you.

More editing.

He just called me back and said the tang sight on his Rossi has a 3/64 hole and looking through both of them, he can't see much difference.
    Last edited by Longwood; 04-03-2011 at 10:29 PM.

In Remembrance
    It's not uncommon for a tang sight eyepiece to have a tiny hole in it. It is expected the owner will enlarge it to the size that suits him best.
    Much easier to drill one out, than to complain to the maker about it being too big, already.

I have the Pedersoli Hadley and most often use the fourth from the smallest aperture. The diameter of that 'hole' is .039".
    When I need 'more light', the next bigger size is .050". A 1/16" drill bit is .062"

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 04-03-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Gunlaker
    I tried to work the rear sight like you said you did. I took the spring out before I removed any metal and swung the sight rearward, it will hit the stock before the spring would catch the next notch in the sight. You did say the long side of the base goes forward didn't you?

Longwood
    I thought I might just drill the rear aperture out what size drill did you settle on?

wills
    No it's just a single aperture wish I had one like you pointed out.
    Thanks
    Warren
    Hi Warren,

Mine is mounted long side forward, and the eye cup will hit the stock on my rifle if the eye cup is set for 200yds or more. It's a pretty bulky sight.

Chris.

Are you sure your staff is in the right position for you to see through it? It only takes a few degrees out of plumb with the front site to not be able to see.

FWIW
    Big Bore = 45+

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post
    Are you sure your staff is in the right position for you to see through it? It only takes a few degrees out of plumb with the front site to not be able to see. FWIW
    Very true. The spring on the Pedersoli Creedmore sights allows some adjustment to place the staff in a perfectly perpendicular position to the bore line. It's important to get it right.

Shot the Pedersoli last Sunday about 50 rnds. 405 Suter's Choice on top of 5744 and 4759. Both at the bottom of the trapdoor data from Lyman's # 49. They chronograph about 1300 fps. It's a good thing the rear sight folds forward because it kept hitting my glasses. Found a place I could shoot at 500 yards safely into a open field side hill. This time of year before the crops go in is the only time I can shoot that far. I like 12 gr. of Unique as far as recoil goes. Need to get some steal to set up for it.

I'll agree with the folks that say its hard to clean from the breech with the tang sight in place, but that is the only detractor I've ever found with my Pedersoli long range! I visited the Shiloh factory last summer on a road trip out west all I can say is they had more money hanging on one wall than I think I had made last year. Good folks and even though I don't own a shiloh I still frequent the Shiloh shooter forum to get good info and ask questions!
    My firearms project blog