Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New To BP Cartrige loading

Boolit Buddy
    you'll have to play with the amount of compression it likes too. my marlin 1895 cowboy likes 3f with .25" compression and thats all i can find that it likes for some reason. i forgot to prime a case once so i pulled the bullet and had to dig out the powder with a screwdriver.
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

What bullet are you using craveman ? I am in the middle of making up some 45/70's for my 1895, first time using BP. Thought that I would get some practice reloading some while I wait for my Shiloh Sharps to be made.
    You'll shoot your eye out kid !

Pyrodex??? I thought this was the "Black Powder Cartridge" forum. LOL!

Pyrodex and ALL BP substitute powders are measured volumetrically NOT by weight. You'd need a volumetric measure to meter the right load with BP substitutes. With real FFg or FFFg BP you can weigh it because the weight will be good enough for guberment work. Theoretically, 100 grains of FFg BP by weight is equal to 100 grains FFg BP by volume. And, FFFg is close enough to FFg in this regard. YMMV!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Look up my posting on my 1887 12 ga SXS after it was test fired with Pyrodex and then shipped to me. The pic will tell you the truth about Pyrodex and real BP!!
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

there are many cases like cajun's out there. nothing particularly "wrong" with using the aftermarket bp sub"s...its just that the potential for having a rust bucket on your hands is god-awfull high. i for one have the firearms i have at a high price and never want them to be subjected to the danger of these products...same as i wont use some cleaners as they are harmfull to most finish's found on my guns. just a personal thing with me and many others...have fun tho with whatever you choose to use.

Boolit Man

I appreciate the understanding,.... I havent been able to find BP in the area yet....
    Sheels doesnt carry it.... Im hopin for Bass Pro, There is a gun show this weekend, but they are pretty buzy arming Iowans,...with handguns.... If push comes to shove, I will go in with other folks and get one hasmat fee and have it shipped. Thanks again.....

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Hazmat fee is cheaper than a tank of gas.
    Take a look at Grafs or Powder Inc. Grafs will ship you 1 lb if you want to stand the price, Powder Inc ships in 5 lb lots.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Dont cost much more to ship with powder inc than to pick up after you pay state tax. They were out of swiss last week but thought some would be in tomorrow. Great people to deal with.

Boolit Master

I have a bunch friends or fiends who all use black powder. We went into a group buy last year bought 50 lbs of black powder from Powder Inc. on the internet and got an excellent price. One hazmat fee and the price went down from $24.95 per lb to $18 and change per lb. A good deal and now we are again considering another buy but this time we will be getting probably 100 lbs in this shipment.

The local UPS driver hates me. Between alloy and powder and primer deliveries he is wondering what the heck I am doing with all this explosive and heavy stuff. He has delivered a lot more to me than any one person could possibly utilize over the last two years. Actually I am expecting a visit by some alphabet named Federal Agency pretty soon. Good thing I keep only nominal amounts of powder and firearms here in my little tin trailer. Most of my goodies are kept in another location far away from here.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Bub
    You might also give Upper Missouri Trading Co. a try. They also sell in small quantitys. I ordered a case on the 15th and recieved it today. Great prices and excellent to deal with. Now to wait for my first match of the year !

Boolit Bub
    here is what ive been loading in my 45/70, lyman 405, lyman 490, and rcbs 530, all loaded over 65 to 70 gr of 2f goex.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

This is the pic of my shotgun after a gunsmith fired it with Pyrodex and then sent it to me via a 4 day UPS truck ride.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet