WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Sub 1/4 MOA at 200 yards

Boolit Buddy

Sub 1/4 MOA at 200 yards

Last year I started shooting rifle competition, 200 yard varmit and 600 yard F Class, I had a Savage model 10 in .223 that shot well at 200 around 1/2 moa and placed 3rd and got a plaque, I wanted a more accurate gun for this year, I had shilen make me a 24 inch 6mm BR with 1-8 twist 4 grove barrel, after break in and about 100 rounds testing 3 bullets 105 amax, 107 smk, and ber vld 105 and trying many seating depths in and out of the lands the hornady has been the most consistant with 5 shot groups all .20, .23 moa, For those who may not understand moa, moa is minute of angle whitch 1.047 at 100 yards if you measure a group at 100 yards and it is .654 of a inch useing calipers center to center of the longest point of bullet holes you would multiply that by 1.047, so .654x1.047=.684 moa, if shooting further out 200 , 400, 600 whatever measure group multiply then divide by the yards 2 for 200 , 4 for 400 and so on. so .384 at 200 would be .385x1.047=.402 /2=.201moa, that was one of my groups.

never thought I could do that, right load , right gun , the barrel is mated to a Savage varmit action, and a HS precision Stock, I have a flat bench rest stock coming soon, and on top I have a competition 45x leupold, never had so much fun shooting, first match is this Sunday can't wait just hope I can shoot as well as in practice.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by frank_1947 View Post
    Last year I started shooting rifle competition, 200 yard varmit and 600 yard F Class, I had a Savage model 10 in .223 that shot well at 200 around 1/2 moa and placed 3rd and got a plaque, I wanted a more accurate gun for this year, I had shilen make me a 24 inch 6mm BR with 1-8 twist 4 grove barrel, after break in and about 100 rounds testing 3 bullets 105 amax, 107 smk, and ber vld 105 and trying many seating depths in and out of the lands the hornady has been the most consistant with 5 shot groups all .20, .23 moa, For those who may not understand moa, moa is minute of angle whitch 1.047 at 100 yards if you measure a group at 100 yards and it is .654 of a inch useing calipers center to center of the longest point of bullet holes you would multiply that by 1.047, so .654x1.047=.684 moa, if shooting further out 200 , 400, 600 whatever measure group multiply then divide by the yards 2 for 200 , 4 for 400 and so on. so .384 at 200 would be .385x1.047=.402 /2=.201moa, that was one of my groups.

never thought I could do that, right load , right gun , the barrel is mated to a Savage varmit action, and a HS precision Stock, I have a flat bench rest stock coming soon, and on top I have a competition 45x leupold, never had so much fun shooting, first match is this Sunday can't wait just hope I can shoot as well as in practice.
    Some of the BOSS units on the Browning bolt guns allow extreme accuracy when tuned correctly. I know of several 308 Win. Browning rifles with the BOSS on the barrel that will do 1/2" groups with match bullets at 300 yards. I know of some position rifles that do that also, but they're heavy in comparison. Four of us sat down one after another and repeated this same group with that Browning 308 rifle (and NO, I don't own it nor is it for sale.... I tried). An identical rifle then did the same thing (it wasn't for sale either). One 300 Win. Mag rifle has shot somewhere around 3.5" groups at 1,000 yards for its owner. All these were three shot groups. If your hunting or sniping, the first shot is the only one you'll probably get anyway. Well put together rifles with loads they like can do some amazing things.

Boolit Buddy
    sounds great, i do 5 shot groups usually a 3 shot wont tell the whole story if it going to mess up usually on 4th and 5th if theres a problem it will happen then 10 is really best to challenge shooter and gun then you really know what you got.

World record 10 shot in 2003 was 4.2 inch not sure about current record maybe they need to break a world record, 3.5 at 1k is a dandy i shoot 3.5 at 600 with remington 308 and 2.2 at 600 with savage f class gun in 6mm br all mine or 5 to 8 shot groups 3 shot would be about half, first 3 always good its the rest that wear on you, I sure would like to shoot what they were shooting with 10 shot group or 5 to set a record.
    thanks for info

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by frank_1947 View Post
    sounds great, i do 5 shot groups usually a 3 shot wont tell the whole story if it going to mess up usually on 4th and 5th if theres a problem it will happen then 10 is really best to challenge shooter and gun then you really know what you got.
    Rifle barrels heat fairly fast. The first three usually define the group size for me at least. The fourth and fifth ones are pretty well somewhere inside that group. After five, the barrel is heating up rather well............ the barrel usually expands somewhere out of its normal plane and you get to watch it walk. Admittedly, those shots usually keep the same pattern, but you are seeing what the rifle does when it walks and how stabil it is...... not what its real accuracy is, but what it does when it gets hot. A lot of rifle games allow a decent shot interval and some don't. I depends on what GAME your playing at the time. For serious uses, that first shot or two really count.

Agreed. I just built a 20 caliber AR that gave me my first group that would fit under a dime no problem. With a flyer included. A truly precision gun boggles the mind for a bit. And mine was only 0.401 MOA.

Boolit Buddy
    hunting yeh but competition you shoot 15 or 20 in one string in 10 minutes or 15 that is why we use a barrel with heavy contour .830 at muzzle and 1 inch at muzzle to not heat as much small contour hunting barrels heat fast ok for one shot hunting thats it, in competition all shots count so you want a small group for a long shot count or you lose idea is points in bullseye that is 1 inch at 200 and a dot in the middle that is a x count that is why we have to be 10 shot consistant and more, even with a hunting barrel they should be in same group if barrel is free floated, scope holds zero , scope is tight, and load uniformity.

I am a certified nra rifle and reloading instructor and the big thing is consistantcy, loads, free floating barrel, that is what i emphasise loads right on the money not varing .1 gr, must be exact, finding the sweet spot in the barrel, then having your seating depth exact useing a bullet comparator and so much more to this to be on the money for long count round, in the varmit match you shoot multiple targets not all in one like F class or benchrest were you put 15 rounds in one target, but in either game you must have a heavy barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    the AR is a 204??? good shooting with semi auto

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek061.html
    http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek090.html

Its close to a 204 Ruger. Its a 223 case necked down with basic dies, so its "practical". Hence the 20 Practical moniker. I LOVE the gun, so much fun.

Boolit Buddy
    good reading , who's barrel did you buy