WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing Dies too Long or Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Boolit Master

Exclamation Resizing Dies too Long or Am I Doing Something Wrong?

I just started using the Hornady headspace gauge that attaches to a vernier caliper in order to get minimally FL resized cases for my M1A in .308. I have determined that the proper resized case measurement from the base to the datum point is 3.635". Unfortunately, in order get that measurement after resizing, I need to adjust the die down .016" (as measured with a finger gauge) more than there is room, as the die bottoms out against the shellholder .016" short of where it needs to be.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am guessing the FL die needs to be shortened a tad, unless I am doing something wrong. I have tried this with both Redding and Hornady FL dies and encountered the same problem.

I'll add that I have also encountered a problem seating .110gr. VMax bullets in a Redding seating die as the seating stem isn't long enough. Arghh.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

bhn22
    Redding offers a competition shellholder set that may help you, depending on how thick the top of your current shellholder is.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/ind...ellholder-sets

Boolit Master
    I have no idea what the problem is. Your description confuses me.
    If you full-length resize a case, it won't chamber?
    Most complaints are that the sizing die is pushing the shoulder back and increasing head space. Often, you need a full length resized case to have a semi-auto chamber easily.
    I have never had a full length sized case not chamber easily.
    Bullet seating also has never been a problem.
    Of course, I don't have any "case gages' other than my gun's barrel.
    you can cut a slit in the case so the bullet is a slip fit and chamber it lighly in you gun and extract it and see what the MAX COL is with that bullet.
    You can take a couple of cases that have been fired in your rifle and have a custom die or two made.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Kevin how did you arrive at the resized case measurement ? Once fired cases cannot be any longer than the actual headpsace of the rifle (with repeat firings they can get a LITTLE longer, but not .016).

I DO know from learning the hard way that if you bump the shoulder too far with an M1a you will soon be looking for a broken case extractor.

For a reference check you can measure an unfired factory round and see if the resized case measurement you think is correct is within reason. For bolt actions I like to bump the shoulder .002. There was a thread here somewhere a couple years ago about shoulder bump for different action types.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

I am not having a problem seating cartridges. I am using the headspace gauge w/ casings fired in the rifle to determine the minimum amount of resizing needed to work reliably.

The problem is that the die appears to be too long to FL resize the case so that it is .002 <the fired dimension, and I can't screw the die down enough to bump back the shoulder to get that measurement of 3.635", which is .002 <the fired dimension. I was hoping someone here used the Hornady gauge and can offer advise.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    OK then I am not understanding where you got the .016" number from ?

It is not uncommon for the die to be long enough that you cannot bump the shoulder. It is a built in safety ninny factor to prevent what I referred to when we were reloading for an M14 years ago (an M14 not an m1a). Anyway the redding comp shell holders go from -.002 to -.010 in .002 increments to do exactly what you are trying to do.

Shoulder bump will be different with different brands of brass, and will change if you anneal necks.

If you have a buddy who has access to a surface grinder you can have him grind .002 at a time from a shellholder til you get your bump you want.

Again I would recommended you do a reality check to some unfired factory ammo (or a forster "go" headspace gauge if you have one) and make sure your numbers make sense....the .016" reference alarms me.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Do you have any factory ammo to check the dimensions against?
    I had a problem with a Remington 30-06 years ago.
    It would not fire my reloaded ammo consistently but would fire factory ammo.
    I bought a Wilson head space guage to check for head space and case length.
    I found I was bumping the shoulder to far the Hornady die was to short.

I have had one die in .243 that was to long don't remember the brand.
    I took it over to the belt sander and shortened it a little at a time untill it would bump the shoulder far enough to fit in my Thompson Center Rifle. It may have been that the TCR had to short a chamber they have had some QC issues in the past.

Boolit Grand Master

Kevin

Using the "D" gauge, 3.635" sounds about right for a minimally sized case to fit in standard M1A. I'm assuming that a case sized to that does chamber and extract freely? Your cases are right about max with that measurement BTW. Most USmanufactured commercial, ball and Match ammuntion runs 3.627 - 3.629" with my gauge.

Concerning your sizing of the cases; does the shell holder (is it the correct shell holder?) bump up solidly against the base of the die when sizing?

The press lever should stop solidly and not cam over.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I made comparison measurements:

1. Factory, unfired milsurp, Cavim on headspace: 3.623"
    2. Casing fired thru my M1a: 3.633" and 3.632" (4-casings; two of each measurement).
    3. Casing resized with the die screwed down till it touches the shell holder, using both CH and RCBS shell holders: same as #2 (i.e. no shoulder bump occurred).
    4. Casing resized using a Hollywood shell holder that looks to be thinner (am using a Hollywood Senior): 3.621".

So this apparently means that the first two shell holders were too thick and I need to stick with the Hollywood shell holder, or have my die shortened a tiny amount.

Am assuming that I need to bump the shoulder back at least .002 to get reliable feeding in my autoloader.

Larry: Yes, to your questions and I appreciate your reply.
    Will: Thanks to you and the others. The problem appears to be a function of the long die and a too thick shellholder. I will take a look at the Redding shell holders (pulling out their catalog as I write this)...Hmmm, it says that the industry standard for shell holder thickness is .125" and their special shell holders ADD to this measurement.

I'll call Hornady and Redding tomorrow. But I still appreciate all the help.
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 03-13-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    The proper question isn't what your gage reads but how well the sized cases fit your chamber. For that, just use fired and sized case shoulder comparisions. The specific dimensions/numbers you're concerned about are irrelivant for useful reloading needs.

You are correct that the oft suggested Redding "comp" shell holder sets are thicker than normal so they limit, not expand, our ability to FL size.
    Last edited by 1hole; 03-15-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Boolit Master

Correct. I am using casings fired in the rifle for measurement, then subtracting .002 from the gauge measurement to arrive at a headsapace size that should chamber easily. I am having problems sizing other brass to that measurement due to the die being too long. What I am finding, though is that some of my presses have some flex to them when FL resizing and I can take advantage of that flexing to screw the die down farther than normal to reach the desired measurement.

I never stop learning.

Boolit Master

Kevin, You can take a couple thousandths off your shell holder instead of the die. I bought a set of used dies in .243 one time with two shell holders and loaded a few rounds for a friend. A couple of them mis fired with light firing pin marks. Turns out on of the shell holders had been sanded down probably for a tight chambered varmint rifle. FB

Boolit Grand Master

Kevin

Sometimes dies out of spec do slip out the door so I'd call Hornady at this stage also if the FL sized cases are not chambering in your M1A. BTW; if you get another FL die I suggest getting the RCBS X-die (regular base as the small base is not needed with your M1A) as you will get much longer case life (upwards of 20 firings per case) and will not have to trim.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    "Kevin, You can take a couple thousandths off your shell holder instead of the die."

If the 'problem' is the die, why fix the shell holder?

Moderator Emeritus

The reason you either grind or mill a few thousandths off the shell holder is because they're cheap. They're also easier to mill or grind than dies are.

If you measure the depth of several shell holders of the same caliber, from the same manufacturer, you'll find variations in thickness, but all are within the parameters for the caliber. That combined with a sizing die that is at the maximum of the parameters set for them, results in "tolerance stack" that produces poor results.

I've had to do this with shell holders for 357 Sig, as all the shell holders I have (6 in this caliber) wouldn't allow the case to go into either my RCBS, Redding or Dillon Carbide sizing dies enough to set the shoulder back so the rounds would chamber in either of my pistols in that caliber.

Used shell holders can be picked up at gunshows for around $2.00, so if you mess one up, it's no big deal. It also doesn't take a lathe to take a couple of thousandths off the top of the holder, like it does a sizing die. It's simple economics and ease of actually doing it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    The reason you either grind or mill a few thousandths off the shell holder is because they're cheap. They're also easier to mill or grind than dies are.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I had a set of Hornady 308 dies that would not move the shoulder back like the OP said. I did the shell holder thinning trick so I could get them going. Later when I had time I returned it to Hornady and they faced off the die for me for free.

Greg
    The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

Boolit Grand Master

Will a resized case chamber? If so there is no problem. This sounds like some sort of
    measurement error.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    "The reason you either grind or mill a few thousandths off the shell holder is because they're cheap. They're also easier to mill or grind than dies are."

Both sizer dies and shell holders are usually case hardened. I've never found one to be easier to grind than the other and it takes carbide cutters to machine either.

"If you measure the depth of several shell holders of the same caliber, from the same manufacturer, you'll find variations in thickness, but all are within the parameters for the caliber. That combined with a sizing die that is at the maximum of the parameters set for them, results in "tolerance stack" that produces poor results."

All true but the die & shell holder tolerance range is designed to prevent tolerance stacking from preventing sufficent sizing. But at least one is out of tolerance and it's more likely to be the die than the shell holder.

My point is that shell holders get swapped around a lot but the die is the die. Grind or sand or lathe cut a few thou, 5-6 maybe, off the bottom of the die and it will size the cases as needed. Even if he takes a off few thou too much it's still quite easy to adjust a die for the desired amount of shoulder set back.
    Last edited by 1hole; 03-16-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    Borrow a 308 die from someone and try it. Maybe you need a small base die.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Moderator Emeritus

Ah, that's the beauty of being the boss in your own shop. You get to solve a problem any way you want that works for you. What may be best for you, may not be best for me, but both methods still solve the problem.

For taking a few thousandths off a shellholder, I just use my drillpress, with a grinding wheel mounted on an arbor and use the drillpress vice as a milling table. It only takes about a minute to do and the surface comes out flat and solves the problem.

Hope this helps.

Fred