Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3030 squirrel loads?

3030 squirrel loads?

i am wanting to load some 180g Wheel weight bullets (air cooled) up in my 3030win they are cast from the Lee c309-180r mold, i don't have any gas checks right now and thought that i could take my kid squirrel hunting and let him get used to shooting a big boy gun. the problem i have is, Where do i start? the powders that i have available to me are
    Reloader 15,Win 760, Win 748, H1000, H335, H4895, H4831SC, H110

can you guys help me out with a load that will be around 850-1000fps and accurate enough to slay a few squirrels. heck i don't even know if they need to be traveling as fast as i am wanting.

thanks,
    Justin Hill

Boolit Bub
    8 grains of Unique.

Boolit Master

I would choose none of the powders you've listed to do what you're trying to do. Like Gadzooks Mike said, I'd prob'ly throw about 8 grains of Unique under it and give it a go. If I had to use the powders you listed, I'd try around 20 grains of 4895. Without a gas check I'd want to be sure my boolit was plenty large and use a good lube. Velocity would prob'ly be on the order of 1500 fps or so.

IMO you need a faster powder and not ball or spherical. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like a good place to look at Trailboss. Bulky enough to not need a filler and it thrives on low velocity demands.

darn, i thought i would have a few options with the powders available, maybe i need to go shopping again.
    Justin Hill

I agree that all the powders you listed are slow burning for the kind of load you seek. I like 5 grains of Red Dot for a very light 30-30 load, though I have shot quite a few pounds of Unique down 30-30 barrels using boolits from 115 to 190 grains. I usually use 7-8 grains like many others here.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd concur with the others, none of your listed powders are suitable. I'd cast those bullets soft (ww/lead at 50/50, maybe 30/70) and simply tumble lube in LLA. A GC is going to give the best accuracy but something useable without a GC in the 800 - 1000 fps or so range can be had with that bullet using 5 - 5.5 gr of Bullseye. No filler or wad needed.

Better yet is to get a box of Hornady's .32 swaged 90 gr SWCs, push them through a .311 Lee sizer and load over 2.7 gr Bullseye. Velocity will run 810 - 820 fps out of a 20" barrel and you'll be amazed at the accuracy and fun that can be had with such a load.

Larry Gibson

i do have some bullseye. though being ignorant,(which i am) i neglected to include it as a possible choice. thanks a bunch.
    Justin Hill

Another load that would work good in a .30-30 would be a .311 roundball. Look on www.castbullet.com and look in the shooting section and down near the bottom of the page there is a article with loading data on this. I think your idea will be good I just thought this was interesting.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just don't ask a roundball load to do too much. Fifty yards is too far; a regular lightweight bullet has a considerably accuracy advantage over the roundball at fifty yards.

Roundball loads must be fairly slow. Too much speed ruins them.

For trajectory reasons, I like my bullets to be traveling around the 1050 fps range or just subsonic, similar to long rifle subsonics. If accuracy holds up, this speed produces usable trajectory to sixty yards, and that's as far as most shots on squirrel are taken.

Fairly quiet too, and minimal damage. I have had good luck with the Lee plainbase roundnose intended for the 32 revolvers. This weighs about 100 grains.
    Last edited by 35remington; 03-08-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I was thinking you're using a too heavy boolit for squirrels. My choice would be either the Lyman 311008 (32-20 boolit) or Lee 311-100-2R. Both of these loaded over miniscule charges will shoot accurately to at least 50 yards with minimal noise, and neither takes a gas check.

Boolit Master
    My favorit small game load for a 30-30 is a Lyman 311008 over 6 gr of Red Dot. It shoots into under 2 inches at 100 yards and is deadly on such critters as squirrel, rabbit, raccoon and coyote out to that range. I have been using that load for about 40 years with great results so Highly recommend it for what you want to do.

Boolit Master
    I just punched some really nice groups with my 30-30 Marlin using 7 gr. of Clays and a 311410 sized to .310"

John

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I'd concur with the others, none of your listed powders are suitable. I'd cast those bullets soft (ww/lead at 50/50, maybe 30/70) and simply tumble lube in LLA. A GC is going to give the best accuracy but something useable without a GC in the 800 - 1000 fps or so range can be had with that bullet using 5 - 5.5 gr of Bullseye. No filler or wad needed.

Better yet is to get a box of Hornady's .32 swaged 90 gr SWCs, push them through a .311 Lee sizer and load over 2.7 gr Bullseye. Velocity will run 810 - 820 fps out of a 20" barrel and you'll be amazed at the accuracy and fun that can be had with such a load.

Larry Gibson
    Dang Lar! You took the words outta my mouth! For all the casting I do, I would never want to be without a 500 count box of those swaged Hornadys. They simply WORK in most 30's and .311/2 cal guns. 32 S+W to 300 H+H, they work. A little Bullseye, red Dot, 2400, most any faster pistol powder or shotgun powder can be made to work. Think 22LR on steroids. And if the boy hits a squirrel, it WILL fall down.

Boolit Grand Master

Bret

The Lee TL314-90-SWC is almost identical to the Hornady, except you get to cast them yourself. I've a 6 cavity mould and cast them by the thousands, litterally, using mainly recovered range lead with 2% tin added. I TL in LLA and then pass them base first through a .314 Lee sizer. Then I can use as is with my .32 S&WL, .32 H&R or any of my .31 cal rilfes. I push them through a Lee .311 sizer for most of my .30 cal rifles. I also use a .31 M die with the .30 cal rifles. Even then I do not hesitate to pick up a 500 count box or two of the Hornady's when the price is right.

Larry Gibson

In Remebrance

You are a lucky man Larry. I missed the boat when Lee discontinued the 6 bangers in that design. I wish they'd do a run of them.

well i found this link that, i think holds the info that i am looking for. you need to click the bullet weight on the left side to see the info.

anyway, i am now wondering if anyone is familiar with this website .
    Last edited by luna butte; 03-09-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: seems to be credible
    Justin Hill

Boolit Grand Master

Very neat info. Compared several cartridges with my own results and I fine them to be correct. I saved it for future reference, thanks.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Bret

If you don't mind single loading either the Hornady or Speer .32 swaged HBWCs shoot extremely well in my .30/.31s also. They do feed from the right side of my Mausers if only one cartridge is put in the mag. Accuracy is excellent if you don't push them to hard. I stick with 2.7 gr Bullseye with case capacity up through .308W and 3 gr Bullseye in those up through the '06. That WC is very deadly at 800 - 900 fps on rabbits, squirrels and othe vermin. Great for plinking also.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

8 gr Unique !!!.....160-170 gr. boolit
    amen !!