Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Alox users?

Lee Alox users?

its all I use. Love the stuff.
    Do others here use it?

Lots of us use it successfully, but not all love the odor, smoke (when fired) or stickiness. It works well enough when I don't want to use my lube sizer and have no complaints about the accuracy I get with applying it by hand.

Is Lee the only one who has this type of lube?
    I like the simplicity of the Alox, but it would be nice to try other brands if theyre out there if they work the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    I like the simplicity of the Alox, but it would be nice to try other brands if theyre out there if they work the same.
    we have a vendor sponsor who sells it ( or more or less "it" ) labeled as xlox , for all intents and purposes it's close enough to the same thing look in the vendor sponsors for white label lubes or user's for Lars
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Buddy
    I use it almost exclusively. I haven't had the problems other folks describe but then I don't have a load that exceeds 2000fps. I tumble them and after they dry I tumble them again. Let them sit a couple of weeks and they are ready to load. Sometimes I will lube them by hand, especially for my 30-30's.

Mike
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him neither harm nor favor"

Boolit Master

Yep, tumble , size, tumble again, load and shoot.

I heat treat, size & lube normaly, then dip lube with a of alox diluted 20%.
    2000 FPS NO LEADING.
    XLOX is absolutely the same stuff, and really priced right.
    Last edited by pls1911; 03-07-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: sp & title correction...

Boolit Grand Master

I think Lyman has an Alox mix with something. Someone on ebay sells alox in big jugs and you could mix your own.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

add molly and HEAT it in hot water its not sticky IF you heat it

xlox.
    Thanks. I'll check it out

Banned

Lube them with something, then with alox? Do you have to let them sit for a couple weeks?

Boolit Bub
    I've had great luck with it but it's getting time to make another purchase. I think I'll try the Xlox this time.
    "I love sleep, my life tends to fall apart when I'm awake you know." Ernest Hemingway

I use it to lube them before I run them though the sizer. But they already have been baked into bee wax, lard, and STP. My standard lube
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

While on the subject: I use Alox as well. I tumble lube, size and call it good. I don't reapply the lube, and I haven't seen any issues. I'm wondering if Lee's second application is just a way to get you to buy more Alox...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

I used to use it until I discovered Dar's Lube. The leading problems I had with LLA disappeared. Now I use Dars on pistol bullets and LithiBee on rifle bullets, all my guns clean with less than 6 patches and powder solvent.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
    While on the subject: I use Alox as well. I tumble lube, size and call it good. I don't reapply the lube, and I haven't seen any issues. I'm wondering if Lee's second application is just a way to get you to buy more Alox...
    No, it isnt a way to get you to buy more lube. The surfaces that are exposed by sizing are also the bearing surface which generally needs lube. (When you think about it, only the full diameter section of the bullet gets sized). That is the reason Lee recommends a second coat. Some have had success without it, others find they need that second round for best results.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    Hello everyone, time to make my first post.
    Found this stuff a few years ago and have good luck with it.

CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor Marine
    Part No. 06026

Seems identical to the Lee lube but in a 10 oz. aerosol spray can.
    Price is around $6 each.
    Used to be able to get a gallon jug for $80

Boolit Grand Master

Works ok for me, but hate the mess, am not crazy about the smell from the btl., and really don't like the smell when the wind is in my fact at the range.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Again, I highly recommend support of fellow forum folks.
    XLOX is the same as ALOX... I ordered what could economically be shipped, something like 5 quarts and am SUPER pleased with the performance and the price... great folks to do business with.
    Check it out!
    www.lsstuff.com/lube/liquid-x.html

Hope I live long enough to use it up, and it's handy for LOTS of other uses too, like non permanent thead locker, rust preventitive preserver (thin with mineral spirits and dip or spray on, then let set to dry... it's the same stuff as ZIEBART rust proofing, and close to cosmoline in performance). If you need less than 55 gallons , this is the place to buy it.

BulletFactory: yes, I heat treat and double lube.

After heat treating, I lube and seat checks normally, through an over sized .312 die. Only one of my 30 cal bullets "true up" at all. Mostly, this effort simply crimps the check and lubes the bullet. I've had unfailing good results with microgroove barrels, as well as early Marlins from 1893 forward).

My final step is a dip in an alox(xlox) thinned 20-30% with mineral spirits, set on the bases and dried at room temp "over night". normally I'll knock 'em over & let the bases dryanther 24 hours or so 'till I'm ready to load. Although I just dip to the crimp groove , a full tuble lube would work equally well.
    I admit it's probably overkill, and some may say it's detrimental to bench rest accuracy.
    However, in my experience with more than a few thousand rounds down range, I can tell you for sihouette shooting and hunting at 30-30 velocities or with ANY 45-70 gas checked rounds (even in 34" LONG barrels), I've NEVER had a trace of leading, and clean up is no more than good swab with Ed's Red , and couple of patches (normally only a little gray powder residue) and another swab of Ed's Red for storage.
    Accuracy? Well, any animal I've ever pulled a trigger on...died. And most silhouette critters at reasonable ranges too.
    I was lucky to be raised that way. When I was 6, if I missed, I had to quit shooting for the day, and suffer the news at the dinner table. It was a good lesson for a kid who lived to shoot, and had do extra chores to buy his own ammo.
    A week's work for a 6 year old equated to a 25 cent box of .22 shorts at the time, and a few hours in the woods! (Unless I missed a critter shot, of course)