MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Reloading 200g SWC's in .45 Colt Ruger Redhawk

Boolit Mold

Reloading 200g SWC's in .45 Colt Ruger Redhawk

I want to reload some 200g SWC's in my Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt for plinking. I am thinking of using 4.6g of Clays. The only question I have is where to crimp and the OAL. If I crimp on the lube groove I get an OAL around 1.71 which is over the 1.60 maximum published. Is this OK? Or I can seat them like a .45 ACP where about 1/16 of the bullet is showing before it slopes. Would I use a taper crimp or roll crimp in this case? Thanks in advance

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Vigilante View Post
    I want to reload some 200g SWC's in my Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt for plinking. I am thinking of using 4.6g of Clays. The only question I have is where to crimp and the OAL. If I crimp on the lube groove I get an OAL around 1.71 which is over the 1.60 maximum published. Is this OK? Or I can seat them like a .45 ACP where about 1/16 of the bullet is showing before it slopes. Would I use a taper crimp or roll crimp in this case? Thanks in advance
    I have a 4" .45 Colt Redhawk. I sure like it.
    You can use any COAL that will fit the cylinder. The 1.71 should be OK. Pressures will be lower with longer COALs. They can be higher if you load real short, but in plinking loads with lead boolits you will be fine.
    I'm more inclined to heavier slugs in mine, but the 200's will be easy to shoot a lot.
    Use a roll crimp if you feel you need a crimp. for the most part, in light loads all you really need to do is turn your bellmouth back straight. The more you work the brass, the shorter it will last.

Boolit Mold

Reloading 200g SWC's in .45 Colt Ruger Redhawk

Thanks for your comments. Will go ahead and seat/crimp lightly on the lube groove and see how they shoot.

I have loaded these a few times with Unique. Crimping in the lube groove can over work the brass pretty quickly. I have crimped just barely over the driving band and a slight crimp on the driving band. I think the ones crimped in the lube groove shot best. Can't remember for sure but here's one target with my SBH Hunter, these were crimped in the lube groove. I have since just gone back to the ol standby for plinkers. 255gr rnfp with 8.5gr Unique, it's on the left in this pic. Easy shooting load.

Try crimping in different places or maybe even not crimp, just try seating it to the driving band and give it just enough crimp to take the flare out. Like a taper crimp on a 45 acp.

200gr swc's

255rnfp

I've used the Lyman 452460 200 grain SWC loaded to 1.655 OAL in my Blackhawk over light charges with just a very light crimp with good results out to 25 yards anyway. Very light recoil, and quitet accurate. Think I will have to cast some more today since I'm getting low.