RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: GP 100 forcing cone

Boolit Buddy

GP 100 forcing cone

My GP 100 forcing cone is looking very rough. I'm thinking of purchasing the 11 degree chamfering kit from Brownells for 38-45. Anybody have any experiences to share or possibly have this tool that you would like to lease or sell? Brownell's wants $82, and I'll probably only use it once.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Master
    Yea I bought one to do my Smith & Wesson DA 10 shot 22 It spit lead and shot a real lousy groups. After doing the forcing cone with the Brownells tool it still spit lead and shot real lousy groups. I found out later by runing a range rod down the barrel 3 of the 10 cylinders didnt line up. So I fixed it, I took it to the gun show sold it at a loss and bought a DW 22 with a 10 inch barrel that shoots great.

You might ask what this has to do with your proplem. Sometimes what we do dosnt realy fix anything. But it was still cheaper than the price a gunsmith had quoted me.

Good luck Brownells makes some great stuff and if you buy one you will have it for the next gun you decided to work on.

Boolit Buddy
    check the info at brownell's on this before you go to 11d. something reminds me that ruger 38/357 are 5d, not 11, and you could wind up with a dual angle cone if not careful. you could take the gun to your favorite smith, have him set the barrel back a turn or two and recut from scratch to 11, but this is your call.

this is kind of one of those 'measure twice, cut once' areas. check it all before proceeding and get one of the forcing cone gauges that will sit inside the cone and keep you in range of proper cone depth as you cut. don't want to open it up to far, in any case. are you shooting lead or jackets? what you pick may make a difference in what angle you pick.

Boolit Master
    Got my Blackhawk's forcing cone cut by donating $15 to my gunsmith's retirement fund.

And, yes, he mentioned that it would be easy to end up with a compound cut.

Sir - I have the Brownell's 5° chamfering tool set with 38, 41, 44, and 45 bushings and two brass laps. It's never been used. Sent you a PM. Best regards, Hunter
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replys everyone. I'm shooting cast only. It's not spitting lead, but occasionally does get a bit of leading at the forcing cone area. Since the forcing cone looks so rough, and I'm shooting cast, I thought the 11 degree angle would help. I've already reamed the cylinder throats to .358.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Master
    "...a bit of leading at the forcing cone area. Since the forcing cone looks so rough, and I'm shooting cast, I thought the 11 degree angle would help."

That was my situation and the resolution.