Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Sizer Issues (what a surprise).....

Boolit Master
    A new Star die I purchased was giving me problems. I pulled the die, cleaned it, and noticed that a number of lube holes had not been drilled through. Sent it back and received a replacement. All is good now.

Best regards,

CJR

OK...that's it....I am done with this Star Sizer

I have done all the suggestions everyone has given me. Nothing has worked. I am so frustrated at this point I think I am going for a long walk.
    I have to turn the pressure handle virtually EVERY bullet. AND I MEAN TURN IT.....RIGHT DOWN TO NO MORE TURNING AVAILABLE. I get MAYBE 1 bullet that works well.....if I am lucky I get that. If I pump the handle 10 times at the bottom of the stroke (watching the pump go in and out all the while) MAYBE I get 2 bullets sized and lubed. I am using a brand new 358 sizer die. The H&G 51 has a lube groove the width of the Panama Canal. Changes in depth makes no friggin' difference. Temp up? It just runs out all over the place. Temp down? I doesn't even flow. Adjust the pump screw? No difference. In fact, it doesn't do anything for it. It doesn't move in or out for any adjustment whatsoever.
    First thing tomorrow, Magma gets a call, and the lube sizer goes back. Let THEM fix it. I am sick of it. This thing has been a pain in the butt since the day I bought it new from Magma. I know there are many that say they are the best, but I think something is wrong here. I think it is a defect somewhere somehow.
    Maybe I am being totally stupid here but I don't care any more. This thing is a pain in a butt like no other piece of equipment I own....or have EVER owned.
    My Mercedes diesel has 314,000 miles on it and still runs like a swiss watch. 35 mpg, doesn't burn a drop of oil, comfortable to drive, and reliable as all get out. NOT LIKE THE STAR SIZER!
    I did not have the troubles with a Lyman 45 sizer. Easy to set up, easy to use, and no frustrations. I am done with this Star sizer. Let THEM fix it.
    I am done.
    End of rant.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 02-14-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Frosted Boolits

Maybe you got a lemon. Don't give up on it. Let Magma look at it and fix it. There has to be a problem with it if you followed all the tips suggested.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

I didn't know what you think about mine at first either. I definitely think the Lyman and RCBS units are easier to work with, but if you get the Star right it does go faster. It can also make a bigger mess faster if things are going wrong which leads to the frustration.

Hopefully they'll figure it out and you'll be up and running soon.

Boolit Bub
    I just received my Star about 3 days ago, mine had the same problem, I think I found my problem.

Upper rubber O-ring in the die slot had broken when I pushed the die in, it was missing about 1/8" piece and the pressure would not "stay" in the die, pushing the too warm lube up and out, or with too cold lube would just get one or two little globs on the bullet.

Needless to say, the little 3" stick that comes with the purchase is now used as flux when I re-melt the boolits and start all over. Atleast I had all the ingredient in the house to make some more lube while I was trying to figure out what was going on with "the best" loobing machine available.

Worked for me.

Frosted Boolits

That o-ring will break every time your remove the die unless you have a heater base and get it nice and toasty before your try to remove it. I have run without that oring and it works fine.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master
    I learned the most about my star by operating it without a boolit in the die. I cussed mine till somebody on this site posted this tip. Played with pressure screw and lube temp and had my flashlight so I could look at the result inside the die. Used ice cream bar sticks to push out the worms of lube. The only difference between a boolit in the die and not is a "bump" at the bottom of the stroke with a boolit in the die. I got a digital meat thermometer with a remote probe from wally world that I stick under the pump bushing/spring. $18 but cheap after the price of the star and the frustration. I set the alarm and it tells me when it's made temp. As little as 4 degrees can take you from perfect to running out on the nose with Carnuba Red. I'm like most folks that I get 20 boolits lubed with a 1/2 turn on the lube screw. Good Luck.

Boolit Master

I say there is a problem with the machine. The mechanics of the Star are as simplistic as any other lubrisizer if not more so. I pulled mine right out of the box, inserted my lathesmith made .452 die and poured my melted BAC/C-Red mixture in, let it sit to harden and then put the plunger in and screwed it down till it bottomed out. Lubed approx 20-25 prior to touching it again.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

a little teflon tape works wonders if you are getting lube leaking out the top from damaged o rings

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFinn View Post
    I just received my Star about 3 days ago, mine had the same problem, I think I found my problem.

Upper rubber O-ring in the die slot had broken when I pushed the die in, it was missing about 1/8" piece and the pressure would not "stay" in the die, pushing the too warm lube up and out, or with too cold lube would just get one or two little globs on the bullet.

Needless to say, the little 3" stick that comes with the purchase is now used as flux when I re-melt the boolits and start all over. Atleast I had all the ingredient in the house to make some more lube while I was trying to figure out what was going on with "the best" loobing machine available.

Worked for me.

ADMIN

The Magma lube is harder then the bac red.
    Bac Red, I can put a hair dryer on the sizer and it works.
    Magma requires alot more heat to move.

With no heat at all I could use the Star using BAC RED (temps 60 or above) with the standard screw setup. With the Air cylinder set at 100 psi the lube didn't move until I put some heat on.
    My regulator doesn't go over 100psi even though there is 130psi in the tank. ARGH!

do you know what the air pressure limit is on a star befor it cracks/explodes?

I called them today

I called them today and told them of my tale of woe. The woman (not the usual one with the Brahma Bull voice) was very understanding and finally said...."OK....you have been riding this bull long enough".
    They said '....box it up with everything.....sized bullets, unsized bullets, lube, handle heater and all.....we will take a look and we'll fix it. We will call if there is any charge"
    Let's see how this one goes.

My heater from Magma tops out at 110 degrees which I feel is just shy of optimum temperature. I ordered an air cylinder today after trying every combination I could think of to no avail. I put the hand crank back on and have the same results, basically two or three boolits per quarter turn. Then wipe the nose before sizing the next one. Tedious but it's not like I need to size more than a few hundred for my 45/70 anyway.

I am also using the Magma Red.
    Lighten up, life is too short.

Boolit Master
    It's a balancing act of heat and pressure and lining up the die holes. Sometimes you just want to throw the M!@#$ machine in the trash. Then all of a sudden you find the right combo and all is well! Don't give up, after all it's only a hobby. Good Luck guys, Rod

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    It's a balancing act of heat and pressure and lining up the die holes. Sometimes you just want to throw the M!@#$ machine in the trash. Then all of a sudden you find the right combo and all is well! Don't give up, after all it's only a hobby. Good Luck guys, Rod
    actually, with a lot of guys, its not a hobby, its a PASSION. and thats a good thing too!!

Boolit Master
    I've got one on the way, and after reading this thread (and others) about Star Setup - I'm a little bit anxious.

Oh well, I'm technically competent. I'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane View Post
    I've got one on the way, and after reading this thread (and others) about Star Setup - I'm a little bit anxious.

Oh well, I'm technically competent. I'll figure it out.
    Unless there is a factory fault there is nothing to it. The bullet punch adjustment is simple & the pressure/heat thing is learned quickly. I think most people have trouble because the first isn't done properly before the second is figured the problem.

Boolit Buddy

Star

Just set up a new Star magna luber last night. Am using Jakes hard molly lube with a Lyman heater plate wired with a light dimmer adjustment. I had no problem sizing bullets from a Lee mould at .452 but tried to size Lee cone shaped 9 mm bullets that came out of the mould at .360 down to .356. That didn't work and gave up after I thought the handle would bend.

What am I doing wrong on the 9 mm bullets?

Added, I did lube the first 9mm bullets with imperial sizing die wax and the die with a Q tip.
    Last edited by ronbo; 02-23-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ronbo, before putting them into the Star try spraying the boolits with some kind of lubricant, silicone, or case lube, a dry die will give you a lot of resisitance.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

I may have problems with mine today but haven't had a hitch yet, still prefer the boolits dropping out bottom and haven't had an lube problems and i just measure from top of die to bottom pin and write it down and when change back to this boolit it works smoothly. Very things have lemons or something not right i always call these a Friday or Monday model. Hope can get things worked out and i know can be most flustrating when pay price u do for a Star.