RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ruger redhawk barrel blew off

Boolit Buddy

Welder, No, he was using factory loads.

I always thought rugers were the toughest. turns out I dont think so.
    I have had a S&W mod. 29 since 1981 and it has seen 20 to 30,000 rounds of all types and loads, mostly hot handloads and it still puts em down range dead center.
    One thing about the 29 though; there is a bushing behind where the primer is, after this many rounds, it gets beaten in, almost like peened. It started to shave primers when opening the cylinder.
    Has anyone experienced this with their mod. 29 ?

bigjake i also have two S&W mod. 29. if i am understanding you about shaving primers when you open the cylinder after shooting. your loads are to hot ! the psi is to high and pushing the primer back out of the case. this is not good if this is whats happening. what size boolits,type of powder, and how many grains are you using ?

Banned

buddy bought one in the mid 80s that it happened too so im guessing it was some of the first redhawks that were the problem ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Does anyone know what years of manufacture are prone to having these kinds of problems?

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine was made in 1983 and has probably 20K rounds through it, never any problems at all. From what I've read, this affected a relatively small run of Redhawks.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Mine was made in 1983 and has probably 20K rounds through it, never any problems at all. From what I've read, this affected a relatively small run of Redhawks.
    I sure hope so as I intend to buy a 4.2" Redhawk in .44Mag later this spring.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Man
    As I recall, it had something to do with embrittlement due to a solvent being used during assembly. Probably a chlorine compound IIRC.

416 SS is fine, as long as the steel doesn't have sulphur issues. Sulphur makes it machine like butter, but if there's long sulphur chains in the steel, you can get serious problems. S/F.....Ken M