RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Performance Center Muzzle Brake removal

Performance Center Muzzle Brake removal

Anyone know how to go about removing the muzzle brake on a Smith and Wesson 500 Performance Center.
    I'm having fits with it spitting lube and power bits back in my face. The stuff that don't get stopped by the shooting glasses gets stopped by the rest of my face and ear on the left side only.
    I want to remove it and see if I can fabricate something that will tend to direct that debris away from my face a little better without loosing too much of the obvious benefits of the brake.
    It looks like a guy could make a little tool to go through the slots and simply unscrew it and make a small index mark to be certain it's put back in the right position and at least close to the right torque.
    Thanks
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    Did you check to see if the cyliner is aligned with the barrel correctly?

You would need a gauge that fits down the barrel and has a nub in it to fit in the firing pin hole like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=594137 But for a .50 cal.

Although the 500 s&w has one of the strongest yoke/barrel alignments available it's not impossible that it's not aligned properly.

It might not be the muzzle break that's "spitting" lead. Belive it or not, a yoke can be be bent pretty easily by closing the cylinder sharply, like seen in the ol' humphrey bogart movies. (AT least with the smaller frames.)

No one has "Bogarted it" have they?

Andy.
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Anything is a possibility. But I have always been real careful to not "Bogart" the cylinders of any of my double action revolvers - I surely can see however, that with a cylinder full of cartridges with 500 grain or even heavier bullets that slamming it shut or slinging it open would be a great way to tweek something.
    I'll save me a few bucks and turn one of the centering guage on my lathe. It'll have to go in line with the dozen or so other projects I have going.
    I have carefully ground about a 30 degree angle on the forward edge of the side slots. Have not had a chance to see if this will make any difference - will report back when I get to the range next
    Last edited by Ron60; 02-12-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to get a little powder speckling (In the face) when I shot mine, but I found that by changing from 4227 to trail boss the problem went away.

Probably because of the shape of the powder granules.

Also, after re-reading your original post, since it's only hitting the left side of your face and only coming from one side I would suspect the yoke IS probably out of alignment. These guns are built tough, but if it's hitting one side of the forcing cone harder than the other you might damage it by further shooting.

I would email S&W and have one of their guntechs ruminate on your problem. Chances are your gun is still under warranty and could be sent in and fixed for free. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...4_757812_image

They were very helpful with any questions I had in the past and you are getting it "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak.

Just my .02
    Last edited by andremajic; 02-14-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

The left side is probably because its held in front of right eye. More face on that side.

Now I'll find out he's a strong lefty!LOL!
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Brake modification

I gave up being careful and just went ahead and applied the modification I was thinking about. It's based on geometry. The new angle of the side slots will now theoretically 'bounce' leading and lube and powder residue farther out and away from my face.
    I shot 15 rounds yesterday and nothing hit my glasses. I thought I might have felt some light 'spray' on my left cheek under my glasses but it's a big improvement over having to clean little and some not so little specs of lube on my glasses and get hit in the face and ear hard enough to make me flinch.
    I will be taking my friends Performance Center out to shoot it side by side with mine to see if there's a notable differ enc in recoil. Didn't seem to be.
    Oh, and that's something I did not mention here - my gun is an older run and my friends is brand new out of the box and they both behave the same. We both shoot a 500 grain bullet I had Dan of Mountain Molds make for me and use Rooster Red lube. I load with 33 grains of H 110.
    I was really afraid cutting that angle toward the front of the muzzle would cause increased recoil. But if it has it's nearly imperceptible. As I said, shooting it side by side with my friend un modified brake will tell the story. I hope the photo came through OK.
    Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake 1.jpg  
    Last edited by Ron60; 02-14-2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Add photo