Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on trade--Rem 660 for Marlin 1895 GBL

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a Marlin 1895 mod SS a few weeks ago. It is used with a stock showing some scratches. Price was $349 out the door with a used set of RCBS dies. Keep the 660.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 02-07-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Appreciate all the responses fellas. I do have another question..Just got a lead on a stainless Guide gun (for $550) and was wondering how to tell if it was made by marlin or remington..I saw in a previous post Keyston44:

"Marlins made by Marlin have the "JM" proof mark on the left side of the barrel by the receiver. Remington made Marlins have the "REP" proof mark on the right side of the barrel by the receiver."

asked the guy to look for the above and he said there were no marks on the right side, but there was some unidentifiable mark on the left side near the receiver/barrel but as far as it being a "JM" you'd have to give it "a lot of room for interpretation."

guess I could have him send me a pic, but is there any other surefire way to tell? FWIW, I asked how long he has had it, and he said he bought it new last fall.

Thanks again for the help guys!
    Last edited by USAF Shirt; 02-07-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Shirt View Post
    Appreciate all the responses fellas. I do have another question..Just got a lead on a stainless Guide gun (for $550) and was wondering how to tell if it was made by marlin or remington..I saw in a previous post Keyston44:

"Marlins made by Marlin have the "JM" proof mark on the left side of the barrel by the receiver. Remington made Marlins have the "REP" proof mark on the right side of the barrel by the receiver."

asked the guy to look for the above and he said there were no marks on the right side, but there was some unidentifiable mark on the left side near the receiver/barrel but as far as it being a "JM" you'd have to give it "a lot of room for interpretation."

guess I could have him send me a pic, but is there any other surefire way to tell? FWIW, I asked how long he has had it, and he said he bought it new last fall.

Thanks again for the help guys!
    From what I understand that would be a Marlin made Marlin.What is the first 2 numbers on the serial number.........Terry

Boolit Bub
    TCFAN,

First 2 of the serial # is 91, which based on my research is a 2009 model? Is this a Marlin, or a "Remlin"? I'll be looking at it in person this week...Might have me a Guide Gun yet!

That's how my new Guide Guns is. As long as the markings are on the left side your good to go. That was after the take over but still built in the Marlin Factory by Marlin workers.
    Good luck.
    Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Shirt View Post
    TCFAN,

First 2 of the serial # is 91, which based on my research is a 2009 model? Is this a Marlin, or a "Remlin"? I'll be looking at it in person this week...Might have me a Guide Gun yet!
    Yes that would be a 2009 model as I understand it. That would make it a true Marlin.

I bought a Marlin 94 44 mag. Cowboy limited last fall and it also has a 91 serial number. Not a thing wrong with it.

If the Guide Gun is what you want and you can look it over before buying you should go for it......................Terry

Boolit Bub
    Well guys, I am the proud new owner of a Stainless Guide Gun! Didnt get a 'smoking' deal on it ($550), but I think it was fair, considering it had only a box of shells through it, and by all indications it is a 'genuine' marlin. Fit/finish/feeding seems great so far. Hope she soots as god as she looks..

best part is, the old 660 still has a cozy home in the safe! Thanks again for the back check guys..I know I would have regretted getting rid of that one!

Congratulation on your new gun. They are a lot of fun to shoot. I have my plinking loads worked up. Just need to work up some heavy loads in case we have a herd of rabid buffalos invade Colorado. Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"