Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LBT bullets 300fps faster than other types .

Quote Originally Posted by Gohon View Post
    More powder equals the same pressure as less powder? Please explain that...... I always thought more powder equals more pressure which equals more speed. That can be accomplished with any bullet design. Where is my thinking wrong?
    Because you just changed your case size when you have less boolit in the case. The same powder charge in a greater case volume equals lower pressure.

Boolit Master
    Because you just changed your case size when you have less boolit in the case. The same powder charge in a greater case volume equals lower pressure.
    I understand that but that is not what he said. What he said is with more space because the bullet is seated out, you can add more powder and still have the same pressure.

Perhaps I just woke up, but I've been cruising along under the belief that equal pressure with equal barrel length, and conditions with the same weight bullets would produce pretty much the same velocity. Somehow that thought escaped me when Keith claimed the same thing because his bullets were seated further out. Hmm, gotta think on this one. Doesn't the .357 mag, and .44 mag require more powder for the same bullet to reach the same velocity as it does in 38 Special, and 44 Special cases respectively? I guess you can see where my internal ballistics knowledge runs out of gas.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dwight hardy View Post
    Why is it so easy for some of you to attack a mans spelling and grammar.
    If it makes you feel superior you need to take a long hard look inside.
    Personal attacks should not be allow on this site or any others.
    \
    I agree
    I have never talked to the man
    but all I have heard from people is how crappy his grammar is
    what all of a sudden I am back in school
    aint gunna do it
    may have to buy one of his molds
    to really check his gammar
    sheesh
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by Gohon View Post
    I understand that but that is not what he said. What he said is with more space because the bullet is seated out, you can add more powder and still have the same pressure.
    If boolit X weighs 300 grains, has a bearing length of 0.450", an is seated 0.350" into a case over 20 grains of Z powder, it has a pressure of say 36 kpsi.

If boolit Y also weighs 300 grains and has the same 0.450" bearing length, but is only seated into the case 0.300" over the same 20 grains of Z powder, it will have a lower pressure because of the increase case capacity.

To get Boolit Y up to the same pressure as boolit X, you have to add more of Z powder. Pressure is now the same for both loads, but velocity can be increased because of the increased volume of gas produced by the additional Z powder you added to get the pressure the same. I said "can" be increased here because it doesn't always work out that way. You will get some increase, but many times not as much as you think you should have.

Another way to look at it is in reverse. What happens to a robust 9mm load if you inadvertently seat the boolit a little deeper than you should. Pressure goes through the roof with a velocity increase because you just reduced the case volume. To get back to the original pressure you have to reduce the powder charge when using that new seating depth. Velocity will likely be a bit lower than than the original load since there's less gas volume produced now.

Look at the very end of the page in this link at the 25-20 data. http://www.handloads.com/misc/lineba...tion.tests.asp

That was with my 6" S&W pistol using the same brass, primer, powder & charge and bullet (Lyman, not LBT). Except the faster velocity was with LBT Blue lube.

OK, so that showed the difference was 5 fps short of 200 fps faster. I'd be willing to bet I could get an honest 300 fps faster just using LBT blue if I actually tried.

I've never had any problems shooting Veral's LBT bullets to 1,000 yards and you can't do that with unstable boolits.

David

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    \
    I agree
    I have never talked to the man
    but all I have heard from people is how crappy his grammar is
    what all of a sudden I am back in school
    aint gunna do it
    may have to buy one of his molds
    to really check his gammar
    sheesh

The fact is that Veral knows cast bullets better than probable any man alive, whether or not he knows grammar is immaterial to me. If I wish to learn about grammer I will consult an expert in the field and that is why I consult Veral, he is an expert in his field
    Last edited by jwp475; 02-09-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks BABore.........now that you've drawn me a picture I'm starting to understand a little better. Not sure it is sinking in all the way but it gives me something to chew on for awhile....