Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Getting Started, LEE Molds.

Getting Started, LEE Molds.

I am just getting started and I have a question about the LEE molds. In the directions it says to lubricate the mold with LEE Alox Beeswax. I did not order any because I did not know it was needed. So my question is if there is a substitute lube I can use? Also the directions do not say what to lubricate or how much to apply. I would assume the lube point is the pivot point on the sprue plate. Should there also be a coating between the sprue plate and mold block?

Also, when fluxing a 20lb pot with sawdust how much sawdust should be used at minimum? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I am just getting started and I have a question about the LEE molds. In the directions it says to lubricate the mold with LEE Alox Beeswax. I did not order any because I did not know it was needed. So my question is if there is a substitute lube I can use? Also the directions do not say what to lubricate or how much to apply. I would assume the lube point is the pivot point on the sprue plate. Should there also be a coating between the sprue plate and mold block?

Also, when fluxing a 20lb pot with sawdust how much sawdust should be used at minimum? Thanks.
    Bullplate or 2 Stroke engine oil work.

I cover my 20lb with about a 1/4" covering of sawdust, mix it in, remove, then add another like amount over the top, which I leave in place (reduces the exposure to oxygen)

Boolit Buddy
    Lee wants you to put some lube on the steel alignment pins to reduce wear. Any good high temp lube will work. Don't get it in the cavity.

Lube both the horizontal & vertical alignment surfaces, the steel pins on the bottom & the aluminum V's that go up & down. Then lube the sprue plate, especially at the pivot point. Bullplate lube is best, but a mixture of high temp grease & never seize will work too. Don't use too much. You will need to clean the residue off when your done casting. The Bullplate doesn't really leave much of a residue behind, which is just 1 of its many good qualities.

When fluxing with sawdust, I usually use about a teaspoon in a 20 pound pot.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Holy thread resurection batman.
    So I've noticed a couple burrs causing friction between the mould block and sprue (spelling) plate. What is the best way to remove theese?

Boolit Master
    if they are on the sprue plate then a fine file followed by some fine grit 600 grit wet/dry sand paper works well. If it is just some burrs on the mold block then a sharp knife will work i.e. exacto knife

Boolit Master
    I took beeswax and mixed it 50/50 w/ alox over the stove. That's all that other stuff is. Lube the moving parts (sprue plate bolt) and connecting pins. Also watch for galling...I've got a little on one of my 6-cavs, no biggy. I just need to stone down the high spots. Yes, a little lube on the top where the sprue plate contacts, but none in the cavities! Very thin coating there. everybody here swears by bullplate, so i ordered some.

as for sawdust...just a couple tablespoons when you're casting. Mix it up and then let it set on top–it helps prevent oxidization of tin Just a thin layer of blackened sawdust–you can push it aside when you heat up your mold (you're gonna wanna do that, 30-40 seconds, dip the corner right in there) then sweep it back over the surface of the melt.

Good luck–and welcome!
    Last edited by Boolseye; 02-06-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Mr. File...but carefully...and then figure-out what caused the galling. It'll be either burrs on the steel sprue plate, or lack of lube. Mr. File takes care of the burrs. Bullplate or 2-stroke oil will take care of the lube .