Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: yugo 24/47 loads

Beekeeper

yugo 24/47 loads

I have 2 of them.
    I have been trying to get a good target load for them and have a couple of questions
    First the data.
    Barrel slugs (on both) at .324
    cases are milsurp sized and trimed to 8MM specs.
    boolit is Lee C323-175-1R that after a little work drops water cooled at .3245 to.325
    Have been using IMR 4895 , 28 grain up to 30.2 grain.

Now the questions.
    I get a lot of blowback with the 4895 and tried16 grains of Unique and got none.
    With 4895 got dirty barrel and what appeared as unburnt powder.
    With Unique clean barrel and no unburnt powder.

Have a lot of 4895 and would like to keep shooting it but want to solve the dirty barrel , unburnt powder thing, blowback thing if possible.
    Have read everything I could find but none seem to address my problem so am open to any constructive advice anyone is willing to share!

Jim

Boolit Master
    AA 5744 is your friend.

Boolit Grand Master

Drop back to 27 gr of 4895 and work up in 1/2 gr increments using a 1/2 gr dacron filler. The filler will increase the ignition efficiency and produce a higher yet more consistent velocity with less powder. I shoot lots of 4895 in m 24/47 and M48s an in other 8x57s; it is my goto powder for 160 - 210 gr cast bullets.

Using well fire formed cases and just neck sizig will also aleiviate most all of the blowback.

Larry Gibson

+1 to what Larry said.

The blow back and dirty bore are just from being on the low end of the powders burning efficiency. All powders have a range of pressure that they burn the most efficiently and cleanest. The Unique load burns clean because your in the pressure range that it burns the best. You can add more powder to get the pressure up with the 4895, but you are probably already around 1800 - 1900 fps and any faster might reduce accuracy and increase leading. If you want to stay with the 4895 do what Larry suggests with the filler. "Dacron" is just a certain company's name for Polyester fill. You can find it in any Walmart or sewing store as it is used for pillow stuffing and quilt batting.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee C323-175-1R WW cast ( or Lyman 165 Gr-works just the same),CCI primer,Prvi cases

and 13.8 or 14 Gr of Red Dot.This recipe works in my M48A for 4 years now ,last 2 years on the

same batch of cases.No leading,very minor powder residue to clean.Chrono says I get 1725 fps

+/- 5 fps,but I have to confirm this.

Boolit Buddy

24/47 Yugo loads....

Im a beginner and have gotten alot of help here. I have a 24/47 Yugo and its a great shooter. My load is an old Lyman 185gr. #323481 sized to .323 thru a Lee sizer with Alox lube and Hornady GC. Powder is 20.5gr.AA5744 andOAL 2.830"Shoots as well as jacketed in this particular gun and well in my other 8mms...HTH ...Tedly

Boolit Master

Work up to 21.5 grains of 4759 from 18.5 and see what happens as the velocity goes up.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    well you might try to neck size also, but the load your using 28-30gr of 4895 seems to work very well for sevral of my 8mm. imr4064 is also another good powder i've tried.

Boolit Bub
    I like shooting the k98 I shoot 200 gr lead hard cast gc I use red dot and blue dot with poly fill 1/2 to 1gr with real heavy crimp no leading
    Don