Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Casting bullets in Nebraska

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbullets View Post
    I live in South Central Nebraska and there is no way no how would I cast bullets outside right now. As I am writing this we got 5 inches of new snow yesterday and the temp. outside is 4 degreees.
    Just think, you don't have to water quench

Boolit Master
    yeah it's below zero actual temp here in Iowa...geting cabin fever pretty bad....

Boolit Master
    Nebraska is the only state that has NO native trees. None, Zip, nada, zero.
    I remember a documentary about the Platt (?) River and they showed the only natural waterfall in NE. It was about 2-3' drop. Very pretty.
    You know you are in farm country when you stop for gas at night and the whole ground is teeming with critters and you "crunch" as you walk.

bhn22
    No waterfalls, meshes neatly with the description "Great Plains". A plain is a flat area of land, "great" is a synonym for "large'. I do not understand the statement about "native" trees. We actually have a lot of trees, they're just not really big ones. Missouri really does have some big trees for example. We do not crunch when we walk, and I don't understand that part either.

Boolit Grand Master
    The state also has lots of public hunting lands. We have lots of land, few people. Good people too.
    Is it a beautiful state compared to mountain or great lake states? Hard to say. But there is nothing like standing on high ground in the sand hills and seeing nothing but open rolling hills of grass. Not a fence, tree, road, etc in sight. It is awe inspiring to imagine what it took for early settlers to go thru the sand hills region. And no other state has them.
    As for trees, who need them? They just block the horizon.

Boolit Master
    Cottonwoods, Ash, Hackberry, Walnut and a slew of others are native to Nebraska, and they grow pretty darn big. I have seen Cottonwood stumps 8 feet in diameter. I burn wood, as you will notice in the picture, and there is such an abundance of good firewood I actually have ranchers fighting over me to cut on their place. Of course, this is in the eastern part of the state. And we have Snake River Falls, Smith Falls, Fort Falls, and a few others that are bigger than than 3 feet. Smith Falls is over 80 ft. tall. We don't have mountains or beaches or famous historical sites, but we have something much better: West of Omaha, there AREN'T ANY PEOPLE!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, no people west of Omaha. 11 counties with fewer than 1000 people.if you want rural, this is one of the best states. We know how to grow a great steak too!

bhn22
    2/3s of the population is in the eastern 1/4 of the state. I live in the second largest city, which we simply refer to as the University City of Nebraska, because they own everything, including our Mayor and the City Council. Please keep quiet about Nebraska, we don't need the locusts from the coasts moving here and screwing everything up like they did their own states, and every place else they've gone to.

Boolit Grand Master

Famous people from Ne. to name a few include: Henry Fonda (Jane was not born here), Yul Brenner, Fred Astair, Dorthy Malone, Gerald Ford, Malcom X, etc. Of course everybody has to be born some place I guess. AND------If you haven't seen the sandhills of Nebraska, you have really missed something special!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I was back in Ohio a few years back, conducting a training seminar for my company. As an icebreaker, I asked if anyone had ever been to Nebraska, and what they thought of it. One lady said, "I was there, and I couldn't buy unleaded gas at the gas station!"

"When were you there?"

"It was about 1973, I think..."

They also looked at me funny when I ordered a red beer at the restaurant that night.

Boolit Master
    My mother always liked telling people "we lived near Oh my God Nebraska, right on the misery river". Always liked that one.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by hydraulic View Post
    Cottonwoods, Ash, Hackberry, Walnut and a slew of others are native to Nebraska, and they grow pretty darn big. I have seen Cottonwood stumps 8 feet in diameter. I burn wood, as you will notice in the picture, and there is such an abundance of good firewood I actually have ranchers fighting over me to cut on their place. Of course, this is in the eastern part of the state. And we have Snake River Falls, Smith Falls, Fort Falls, and a few others that are bigger than than 3 feet. Smith Falls is over 80 ft. tall. We don't have mountains or beaches or famous historical sites, but we have something much better: West of Omaha, there AREN'T ANY PEOPLE!!!
    I use wood to heat also. I find cottonwood to be the worst for firewood, and ash to be one of the best

bhn22
    Oh! Gunshow in Lincoln this weekend.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on noylj.

"Lead fumes" is a total myth at casting temps.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I suppose you need more lead now????

Boolit Master
    KCSO: Always grateful for charitable donations to the poor and deprived, alloy-wise.

Gun show this weekend in Yankton, SD, suburb of Crofton, Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    AND------If you haven't seen the sandhills of Nebraska, you have really missed something special!
    1Shirt!
    I spent time in the Sandhills and fell in love with a cutie who grew up on a ranch 45 miles south of Valentine. We've been married just shy of 42 years.

I spent 35 years in the cattle business in Lexington and moved to Wyoming after the city father's sold the town's lifestyle down the tube for $$$$ to IBP (now Tyson foods.)

Nebraska balances it's books on the back of agriculture. Last I looked, Nebraska was number 43 in taxes (right up there with New York.) One reason I quit the cattle business was the exorbitant taxes on land. The other reason--my town turned into a cesspool.

I like casting in Wyoming.
    Cloudpeak

Boolit Master
    hydraulic - your gloves serve a dual purpose in conditions like that. Heavy layers of clothes help with protection too. Perhaps we should all go out and cast in the snow?!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    12 years ago I came to Nebraska with some friends to visit a woman they knew, since I did not have anything to do for Thanksgiving. We were engaged one week later and married five months after that. Have lived in Nebraska for 8 1/2 years now. Being born and raised in Kansas, I still miss it though!

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    I lived in plattsmouth for five wonderful years,was in the SAC ELITE GUARD (now a different name) at offutt,great people!!

IT'S A FINE LINE BETWEEN HOBBY AND INSANITY.................
    YOU MIGHT HAVE CROSSED IT. SOME OF THE REST OF US DID.....