Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shotgun Presses

Boolit Buddy
    I only load slugs and rabbit loads. I also load a few hundred to try and bust clay pigeons at the club every once in while. Total output per year maybe 500-600 total. If I were doing any more than that I would choose a MEC. As it is I have used the Lee Load-all for more than 20 yrs w/o complaint. I use the shot hopper to place shot in hull but I use a Lee dipper to charge the hull. The shells it makes look almost brand new with very little effort. I have mine bolted to a double thickness of shelving board and simply clamp it to the table when I load.

I started on a Lee Load all... don't do it ... it will lead to ever more expensive machines and hoarding of supplies. Quit now!!!

Now have two Lees two Hornady 366's a PW 375, an old Pacific and am drooling over a new Spolar. There are bags and boxes of empty hulls all over the shop but I still cant help picking up empties off the ground. Some days its not how well I shot but how many empties I picked up at the range that makes my day.

We Need a RELOADERS ANONYMOUS around here. You know help for the afflicted.
    Last edited by NV Guide; 12-31-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    Recommend the MEC 600 JR. with the adjustable charge bar. Make sure the charge bar is for single stage press. Progressive charge bar loads in reverse. Shot many rounds of trap and skeet with shells reloaded on my 600.
    NV Guide this is Reloaders Anonymous only problem is all of the members are enablers.

I only load 12 ga. I got an old single stage Pacific Dl-150 for $25 on Craigslist and I was off an running. Easy stuff, just follow the load data explicitly, because brand of primers, wads and hulls are not like centerfire rifle/pistol where you can mix and match components. Mixing and matching components in shotshell loading can cause dangerous pressures.
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Get the jr. and your grandson will be able to use it when he gets old enough. Not saying the Lee wont do the same but I know the Mec will. The pic below is the press that got my dad got in 1966.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01065.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	28220

I taught my son how to reload on that press like my dad did me. I couldn't imagine how rounds have been loaded on that jr. over the years.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Buddy
    I love the lee load all. I have 1 I use all the time and one I used to use to keep the boy-scouts shooting. They are both 12 gauge. One thing That should be mentioned is the lee comes with all the bushings. That is HUGE. I will never go with out a lee load all if I upgrade. I will use it for load development. I am looking to trade one of my load all's in 12 gauge if any ones interested.

Boolit Mold
    Have a look at the Ponsness Warren 375. Might be a bit more money, but a far more pleasant to use single stage then the MEC's IMHO. That said I don't think the quality of the ammo produced is any better, except the PW does size the brass, not all the MEC single stages do.

I have a Load All in 12 ga and 20 ga and they work very well for me. I'd think if you were doing a large number of shells though that a good progressive would be a little better. Not that the Load All does a bad job because it does very well, it's just a little slow going is all.

Banned

Im almost in the same boat. I have a pacific 105 that i load 12 guage on. Lately ive been getting into the shotgun loading a bit heavier and wanted a new 12 and 20 guage press. Ive got a slug of powder and shot bushings for the pacific allready so i opted for a lil grand in 12 and 20 because they use the same bushings. Another part of my decision was the fact that ive been treated like gold by the rcbs customer service over the years. I will have them set up by the end of the week and can give you some kind of an ideal how they work. Problem is i havent loaded that much shotgun and the only thing i ever loaded on was the pacific so i dont know how id go about comparing it to a mec jr. One other thing i liked was the ability to add a taper crimp on the 5th stage.

Banned

well i got the two rcbs lil grands set up. To be honest im not that impressed. Yes they seem to make good ammo but the press has a cheap feel to it. Not typical rcbs quality.

Boolit Man
    I have a Lee Load All in 16 ga.The plastic base is not all that sturdy but it loads decent ammo and the price was right. I'm not a big shotgunner and really don't know a whole lot about other shotgun loaders on the market but if i had it to do over again i think i would spring for a good used MEC loader.
    INFIDEL 4 LIFE

I had a lee loader in 12ga. Realy simple, easy to use press. I am thinking about getting another for 16ga.

Banned

Well i loaded a couple hundred rounds on the 20guage lil grand press today. I have to say it did make good ammo and i had no issues with it. Might not be a bad setup. I do like the taper crimp in the 6th station