Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: wheel weight smelter

wheel weight smelter

i took a old propane tank 5 gallon size and cut the top off it ... it is a very thick metal pot now .., and can hold hundreds of pounds of liquid metal . it holds @3 + gallons .. this might work for you too ,.. remove valve if possible, and flush ..be carefull on the first cut through the tank ( i used water and a battery powered drill ) that you dont cause a spark .. then fill with water to displace any gas , pour out, and cut away ... i have a 4'' grinder with a cutting blade ,,,worked great . ( eye protection needed) then use a campfire to melt or a turkey cooker ... awesome !! can do a about full 5 gallon bucket

Boolit Buddy
    I use one myself. The down side the steel in the tank doesn't hold heat very well and the lead will harden on the sides. I found a cast pot with a round bottom that works better. The propane tank is OK. But if you fill it too full a turkey cooker doesn't put out enough heat. Mike

I was concerned about that, too--the turkey cooker putting out enough heat. Is there any sort of "fireproof" insulation outside of asbestos that would fit around that tank? Probably half an inch thick would be enough for this purpose.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

I found a larger tank and cut a section the same height of my crucible. I channels the heat from the flame around the outside of the crucible. Works mooch'o better'o than without. Add a lid and its just like uptown!
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Any kind of wind "shield" helps contain the heat.

I just used a heavy sheet metal ring, same idea as Mr-O-77

Boolit Grand Master
    ANeat :

I like that ! MO - BETTER ! !

Yeah, that is a good idea, and inexpensive, too. Thanks!
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Bub
    A friend & I built something similar out of an old propane tank from a fork truck. Once the top was cut off, it was still to tall to dip out of.

We then cut 1/3 of the height off to make it as tall as practical to dip out of with an 8# ladle. That top ring was over a foot tall, so split it down the side. Spread it and weld a plate in the gap so the ring is bigger than the pot, and welded it around the bottom as a shield.

I was worried about the turkey burner supporting all the weight, so we fab'd up three legs out of 1.25" pipe, and a little arm into the middle to screw the turkey burner into.

Cut a metal 5 gallon can to get the ring, and 'snap' it around the base for a heat shield/wind block on the bottom. Even looks cool since we used a Sunoco Race Fuel can. I have LOTS of them for anyone near Chicago.

Works like a champ! Very similar to many that I drooled over on this site for quite some time.

I like that set up cause blocks wind and keeps heat in. Seems everytime i smelt it will be dead calm till tilte my burner then go to blowing. I have stainless steel piece of metal i set on sind side and works good untill wind swapes around. Think you have cured that problem.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    http://www.castpics.net/

go to "projects"

pick MOAS

... felix
    felix

i use pine 2x4's scraps or old pine logs in a camp fire put the pot in the middle and use a long 3'dipper with a 4lb capacity dipper works much better and cheaper than buying propane , not cheap jes poor ..