Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long range bullet for Marlin 1895

Boolit Mold
    If I'm not mistaken, one of the advantages BP has for this type of shooting is that it has very low velocity standard deviation shot-to-shot which is important when your trajectory looks like a rainbow.

What are you planning to use to aim with? As mentioned, I doubt any scope will have that kind of elevation adjustment without an extremely tapered base. The other option that comes to mind would be a rear ladder sight.

Boolit Master
    Yes.. BP is good in that sence.. One just have to find proper powder and load with as little standard dev..
    I will use a optical sight with proper tapered base..
    There is 40 moa rails readily available, and if I need more, I could do it by myself..
    I played with JBM a bit.. here a simulation about 1500 fps load with 500 grs round nose J-word bullet..
    [IMG][/IMG]

Not so complicated if there is alreaady 40 moa drop in the rail..

S

Quote Originally Posted by seppos View Post
    I have had two Marlins in 45-70. An old one with the microgrooved barrel and this current guide gun. Both of them have given me MOA or little under MOA accuracy from 100 meters from 100 meters.. This with 350 grain Hornady flat and softpoints.
    As I have had red dot sights in them only, I could suspect that with proper optics the goal could be achieved.

Basicly what is needed, is accurate weapon with proper optics, accurate cartridge, and the skill needed to shoot long ranges..

People already knew how to shoot long time ago..
    22 shots from 1000 yards.. year 1886

S
    I agree, but a 1895GG is NOT a Shuetzen rifle. The best shooter & load can NOT make a marginal performing rifle shoot well. The GG is a good rifle for what it is, but I just don't see it as 1000yd accurate. I can get closet to MOA w/ my little 2X scope & 350gr JHP. I am sure a better trigger & scoep would get me right there, but the lockup, sights & trigger are the short points of any lever gun. If lever guns were as acurate as bolt or single shots, we would see many at long range rifle shoots, even BP shoots, but you just don't.

Boolit Master
    It is not I agree, but the tool of the trade is only a small part of the puzzle called long range shooting. The better accuracy of the weapon only gives more margin for other errors..
    And in the end the sum of all factors is the the result: hit or miss..
    That could be understood only by doing. Not by any other way.

And in the end.. It is going to be fun..

S

Boolit Grand Master
    How many 500 grain bullets do you plain on shooting at 1500? In a rifle as light as the Marlin it is going to hurt. A lot.
    I have seen too many photos of the guys at BP silhouette matches using recoil pads on their shoulda. And they are shooting 12 pound plus rifles with bullets in that weight range going 1200 or so.
    Me thinks you are trying to make your rifle into something it is not.

Boolit Master
    Maybe..
    Efective supressor can do amazing things to a rifle..
    Back to business.. I measured the Lyman 457125 and it is about 1.3 inches long. As Marlin has 1:20 inch rifling it should need about 1300 fps to stabilize..
    I only checked the reloadersnest so far for the loads.. It gives 1696 fps for one 500 grs cast load.
    So.. Pritty wide window to play with..

S

Boolit Grand Master

Think your quest for 1000 yd accuracy in that rifle is akin to the quest for the Holy Grail. Agree with Beagle on sights for the amount of ark you will get. As to recoil, I will await your results and the number of shots that you take from the bench. Agree with Btroj on the issue of recoil. Suggest sissy pad would make common sense. Also of consideration is the target. If I were going to screw with 1000 yd with that rifle, think I would have a sheet of plywood, 4x8' painted white with a 4' black bullseye. Suggest you have witnesses and photos, cause there are a lot of BPCTG's shooters that will have to be shown (as in seein is believin) type thing!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Might do that..
    I have two 1 inch IPSC sized armor plates that I use with .338 LM when I dont wanna walk to the target.. They give nice sound.. like church bell when hit with a bullet.

S

Boolit Mold
    The things you suggest sound good but do not work in the real world. I shoot my BPCR at 1000 yards a lot at our local range. Several things have to come together to consistently hit the target (6' X 6') at those ranges. Heavy bullets, lots of elevation in your sights, and lots of practice. With my 550 grain bullet at 1300 fps it takes 162 minutes of elevation from 100 to 1000 yards and a travel time of around three seconds. I have a Marlin 1895 CB in 45-70 and I can't even get a 500 grain bullet in it with 50 grains of black powder ( which only yields about 1000 fps). My Marlin shoots 360 grain RD bullets really good - out to 300 and then they start falling apart. I have several 410 grain moulds that I can get to shoot decent to 500 but beyond that you need the heavier, longer bullets and they just don't work in a Marlin. Remember that the sound barrier really messes with bullets when you come back through it. The bullets usually destabilize and can miss the target by yards - not inches.

why not just buy a single shot?

1000 yards with a rear locking lever gun that has a tube mag and a short barrel? Oh well stranger things have been attempted, keep us posted.

Robert Duvall wasn't your inspiration for this by any chance?

Clip from lonesome dove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23UhypY-pUg

Boolit Master
    They have a lever gun class at the Quiggley.
    Also remember that a shorter barrel or more correctly shorter sight radius will increase the value of sight adjustment increments. So say a 34" barrel with tang mounted mid range sight may only get you to 800 yards but a 24" barrel with the same sight may have enough adjustment to get you to 1000 yards or more.
    If you have a lever gun that will shoot 1.5 to 2 moa with the correct boolits for long range you should be well in the game. If you shoot smokeless powder you will even be able to load to an OAL that will feed through the action if need be. If the boolits have a profile that may be dangerous to stack in the magazine you may still have to load one at a time even if they do feed.
    Forget the naysayers and go for it. Trying is also a part of the fun.

Boolit Master
    Getting to over BP velocities with smokeless and 500+ grain boolits is no trick in a Marlin. I shot some of the Lyman 535 gr. Postells from mine, (single loaded). They shot the tightest group yet from my gun. Good luck!

Boolit Master
    First thing first..

S

Quote Originally Posted by seppos View Post
    Is that based on practical knowledge or theorys..
    In some time people believed that the earth is flat..
    Did it based on reality or theory..

S
    Based upon reality but you all go ahead and have fun.

Boolit Buddy
    You all need to go to Marlin Owners and read the stickies on long range shooting with the 38-55! Them boys are shooting 1,000 yards at dingers off hand with Marlin Cowboy levers in 38-55. They throwin 245 grain boolits at bout 1500 to 1600 fps. Also using tang sights and NO scopes. Oh an those boolits are flat nose too, not long range target boolits.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    325 grain bullets do not have the sectional density and BC for 1000 yar shooting in .45 cal. Sight radius of guide gun is too short for precise long range work with iron sights and a modeern scope will not give you the elevation required. I am not sure that the Guide gun has fast enough rifling twist to stabilize 500 grain bullets; my 1895 CB does not. Wind will push a lighter bullet all over the place at 1000, even when pushed to velocities above the black powder level, tha is 1000-1300 fps. You will not achieve targets such as posted by seppos with a guide gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Keeper View Post
    You all need to go to Marlin Owners and read the stickies on long range shooting with the 38-55! Them boys are shooting 1,000 yards at dingers off hand with Marlin Cowboy levers in 38-55. They throwin 245 grain boolits at bout 1500 to 1600 fps. Also using tang sights and NO scopes. Oh an those boolits are flat nose too, not long range target boolits.

Tom
    Not worth a reply

Well being I can hit (some of the time) with .243 80 grain PSP which also doesn't have great BC or SD - I don't see why you can't use 325 grain 45 cal bullet - would at least try before dismissing it, if it groups well at closer ranges.