Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Reloading related... sorta

Reloading related... sorta

Shooting outside in the cold...

What kind of impact will shooting outdoors in cold temps lets say 0 to 15 above) have on accuracy/ballistics? I realize the temperature has an impact overall... but how much? So much, that it isn't worth bench shooting to retrieve load data results?

Will the colder temps vary your ballistic data so much that in the summer time, the results will be completely different?

Boolit Grand Master

The big dog in the pile is your powder. Some are sensitive to temps and some are significantly less. Without telling us that no one will be able to give you a meaningful answer.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I would not expect much difference in performance for shots less the 200 yds in hunting conditions.

Boolit Buddy

For all practical purposes Reverend is probably correct. I suspect that velocity would be lower because as Wayne points out many powders produce lower pressures. In addition cold air is much more dense than average temp air. Since you brought this up it also made me think about the barrel shrinking at that low a temp. I know this does not seem a big deal but I have seen balancers but on crankshafts by wrapping the shaft in ice for a while. Just my uninformed 2 cents worth which is about what it is worth in todays inflated money.
    Last edited by old turtle; 12-24-2010 at 12:17 PM.

The guys are correct, powder is the big variable. If you take a small 6 pack cooler and toss a couple of the disposable hand warmers in it, then toss your shells in it (already room temperature from the house). AND you don't just let the shell sit and soak up the cold from the chamber, you won't see much difference. I've done this when I was temporarily insane enough to do load workups in sub zero temperatures. I had to build a 'heat box' for my chronographs brains, just to keep the batteries warm too!

If you keep the powder at normal temperatures, you're not going to see too much difference in your results. Especially under 400yds.

Hope this helps,
    AJ

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to be using an array of different powders/calibers really.. but I will be only shooting out to 100 yrds or less. The hand warmer trick in the cooler is a good idea, I just may do that.

Boolit Grand Master

Lubes can start to fail in cold weather on boolits, plus some powders are hard to light in
    cold weather, need mag primers when they are OK in hot weather.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    If you work up to a max load now in the cold I would not shoot those same loads in the summer.
    If you rework the load with the same components in the summer you will most likely find that your max will be a couple grain less with what ever powder your using.
    That will be a safety issue if using max loads.
    If not using max loads but working up to the best accuracy the same thing will apply.
    Your most accurate load now will most likely be one or two grain over what it will be in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    If you work up to a max load now in the cold I would not shoot those same loads in the summer.
    If you rework the load with the same components in the summer you will most likely find that your max will be a couple grain less with what ever powder your using.
    That will be a safety issue if using max loads.
    If not using max loads but working up to the best accuracy the same thing will apply.
    Your most accurate load now will most likely be one or two grain over what it will be in the summer.
    1 or 2 grains? You think that much? Thats pretty significant....

Boolit Grand Master

Depending on the particular powder chemistry, most create more pressure when warmer,
    but there are some notable powders that produce less pressure when warmer. The
    Hodgdon Extreme line of powders are marketed as muthtch less temp sensitive, so maybe
    you should work with them if you are doing load development in cold weather. OR keep
    the ammo warm in an insulated container ( a cooler with a bottle of hot water).

Remember, some boolit lubes will change character dramatically and may not work
    properly if very cold.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

In Remembrance
    Went and shot a few rounds with my son last week at around 31 below. In my opinion accuracy goes out the window when you are shivering.