Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Old Lube Questions

Old Lube Questions

I have inherited several different lubes that I don't think is made any more and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

First is Hodgdon brand bullet lube, it is in white and red box and is in hollow tube form...got about 6 sticks of that.

Next is Mirror Lube brand in a silver paper wrapper...got about 8 tubes of that.

Then I got a white metal tub, marked Tamarack Bullet Lube. I was just wondering if this need to be used with a heater and if so, what can I mix with it to soften it so that I do not need a heater.

I am loading for the standard pistols, magnum pistols, 30 caliber rifles, 06/308/30-30, 375 Winchester, 375 H&H, 45-70, 458 Win Mag. Mainly gas checked in the rifles except some of the 45-70's, mainly plain base in the pistols.

the hodgdon's i'm familiar with , i also have a few tubes left , to be fair i'm not really fond of the alox smell part of it but it did work ok , i have a little experience with tamarack but it was only shooting what had already been sized and lubed , it too worked , from my understanding at one time they made more than one lube , the one my friend used was fairly soft and didnt need heat but it too had the classic alox aroma , the hodgdon i know will work for rifles within your alloy's strength limitations and for medium to mild pistol rounds all three should work

edit for add .... vaseline or lanolin either one would soften it a bit if needed
    Last edited by fryboy; 12-07-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: edit for add