Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Bullet Casting for 7.62x39

Boolit Mold

Bullet Casting for 7.62x39

I have a few questions about casting for the 7.62. I've only ever cast for pistol to this point. Had success with that so far. Just bought an AK and I'd like to try casting for those now. I've been bouncing around the net. Reading what folks are doing out there. I found the following:

Folks are recommending a couple Lee Molds

1. C312-155-2R
    2. C312-160-2R

I'm confused though on post casting. With pistol I size the cast bullets. I assume the same for these. I've read in a couple places to purchase the following kit:

"Lee Lube and Size Kit 311 Diameter"

Other folks are saying that sizing is not needed with .312. Is this true?

Also, I assume I need gas checks on these cast bullets. This is something I have not done before. In looking into that I read that the Lee 311 Size Kit is too small to add gas checks for these cast bullets I'm considering. Is this true?

NOPE---I use the C312-160-2R, .311 push through sizer, and .30 cal hornaday checks. Works like a charm. You're on the right track. There are a couple threads (and stickies) here that discuss different loads for what you are talking about. These bullets can be worked up for an AK just fine and are really fun to play with.

I've read in a couple places to purchase the following kit:

"Lee Lube and Size Kit 311 Diameter"

Other folks are saying that sizing is not needed with .312. Is this true?
    Depends---did you slug your bore yet? You still need to pass it through the sizer to crimp on the gas check--no way around that.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master
    I shoot Lee 160 TL unsized with gas check with 24 g H322 in Chinese SKS Equiped with peep site

Boolit Grand Master

You need the sizer to seat/crimp on the GCs. For the AK/SKS rifles I suggest honing (easy to do) the Lee .311 sizer to .312 or to "as cast" bullet diameter for either of those bullets, usually they are .312 or .313. A good lube such as Javelina is best but LLA (comes with the sizer) works well also at the 1600 - 1850 fps either of those bullets gets out of AK/SKSs. Good load for either bullet assuming cases with LR primers is 25-28 gr of H4895.

Larry Gibson

i cast and size (honed out to .312 sizeing die)i use the hornady gaschecks ... i use reduced loads of x terminater by ramshot..ive used to diffrent powders and still dont get a complete ignition of the powder...that aside ive had very good results and would recomend the lee 155 gr mold . also with low velocitys would a gas check be needed?

Boolit Grand Master

leadloader

Couple problems relating to your question and this thread. Most cast bullets designed for GC use do not give very good accuracy sans the GC. The best I have gotten is with really low velocity loads (less than 1150 fps) using Bullseye powder. Even then a comparable PB bullet by design was always more accurate. Also "low velocity" load generally do not function AKs or SKS rifles. I've not used the powders you mention but H4895, IMR4895 or milsurp 4895 give a pretty clean burn with the 26-28 gr loads over the C312-155-2R bullet. Loading density is 100% as with the finer H4895 I can use 28 gr but with IMT and some milsurp 4895s only 26, 26.5 or 27 gr give 100% loading density.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy

Bridgeton, RI ( the conservative corner of the libtard state)
    I use a NOE 314-129SP gas checked and sized to .314 ( my Sks bore is .312 my AK bore is .313) over 26.5 grains of AA1680. Accurate enough to have fun knocking down 4" steel plates from 100 yards.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1/20/13

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    leadloader

Couple problems relating to your question and this thread. Most cast bullets designed for GC use do not give very good accuracy sans the GC. The best I have gotten is with really low velocity loads (less than 1150 fps) using Bullseye powder. Even then a comparable PB bullet by design was always more accurate. Also "low velocity" load generally do not function AKs or SKS rifles. I've not used the powders you mention but H4895, IMR4895 or milsurp 4895 give a pretty clean burn with the 26-28 gr loads over the C312-155-2R bullet. Loading density is 100% as with the finer H4895 I can use 28 gr but with IMT and some milsurp 4895s only 26, 26.5 or 27 gr give 100% loading density.

Larry Gibson
    im approaching the area of 1050 to 1150 somewere in there by my estimation... the action cycles reliably with the x terminator powder i use 16.8 gr.. i use my loads for plinking only just thought i may be able to save a few pennies skipping the gas check process.. thanks ..

You really need to slug your bore to find out what size your boolits need to be. If you need a custom diameter sizing die, you can get one from Lee or from one of the board members here. Buckshot is probably the most well known source here on the board, but there are others. Its not unusual to see those Russian .30 cal barrels vary anywhere from .312-.316" on the groove diameter.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadloader View Post
    im approaching the area of 1050 to 1150 somewere in there by my estimation... the action cycles reliably with the x terminator powder i use 16.8 gr.. i use my loads for plinking only just thought i may be able to save a few pennies skipping the gas check process.. thanks ..
    That's great if that's where you want to be. I just use a load, just my preference, that is useable to 250 - 300 yards with the SKS. That's what I like about reloading, especially with cast, is there is always something to meet everyone's needs/wants.

Larry Gibson