MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky

Thread: ideal luber sizer

Boolit Bub

ideal luber sizer

I just bought an ideal luber sizer but would love to know where to find a manual .
    Do you guys know where to find one?

regards,
    Oscar
    Last edited by bertus; 10-31-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Do you know a model number? Ideal / Lyman made ton of these over the last 100 years.

ideal kind of ended with the #45 ...imashooter has it posted somewhere around here but i cant seem to find it at the moment , there's really not much to it ( or the #1's thru 3's ) and the general directions for the 450/4500 apply with the exception of the various linkage and retaining system etc , i saw one on ebay the past week that had the original destructions with it (wow ) that's something i dont have lolz

Boolit Bub
    I got a picture of the luber hope this helps.
    Btw what is this one worth?
    regards,
    Oscar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	idealluber.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	26466
    I looked through my copy of the 46th edition of lymans reloading handbook and it could be a model 1
    Last edited by bertus; 10-31-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: additional info

Boolit Master
    Wowie! That is an Ideal Lubricator and Sizer No. 1. With the little clamp for the bench and the original wrench (both often lost), and, apparently in pristine condition. I don't know what the market value is but the next generation ones (the No. 45s) typically go for $45 and up around here in much more well used condition.

Your No. 1 should use the same top punches and sizer dies that Lyman and RCBS sell; the only real difference in operation between yours and the No. 45 is the handle pulls to the right instead of out towards the operator. I would advise against sizing really big boolits or taking too much off the diameter of medium boolits with yours; it and the No. 45 weren't as rugged as the later designs.

I think there is a sticky for the No. 45 operator's manual on this site; that would show you how to load and use yours.

it's either a #1 or # 3 nice find amigo ! it worked basically like the #4 which turned into the #45 , as for value ...hard to say i have seen them go for as little as $40 and as high as $170-ish on evil bay , to be fair the high one was perfect and also had bonuses with it , i have a amigo on another place , i'll try to share a link and if we are lucky he will comment ...

Looks like my #1 but much nicer. Like has been said, same basic operation as the others. I really like mine. I do need the stock wrench for it. <hint hint> Willing to buy if anybody has one.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the tips guys, found the manual for the 45 ,just have to wait for it to arrive,I got it at ebay for 51 bucks

regards,
    Oscar

Boolit Master
    Looks like the #1 I had.

Nice and complete but as Bentramrod said I found mine a bit.....fragile.

Treat it as an unreplaceable antique and it will give you lots of service, try and make 38 cal wadcutters from a 50 caliber mold and your going to break something you can't buy!

Boolit Bub
    my luber arrived!!
    Only the taxman wanted his pound of flesh as well.
    The luber looks perfect used but not abused.
    Regards,
    Oscar

Boolit Master
    You still got a deal, I would think. If you have the original G, H and I die set in there, the top punch ought to have a rounded top and the H die should have serif numerals and probably the "step down" surface inside. This can actually shear metal off the boolit rather than swaging it down to size with an internal taper like the more modern ones do. It's easy enough to polish out, if you have access to a lathe, but the machine should fit the modern G, H and I dies and punches also.

Boolit Bub
    Exactly as you described bent ramrod!
    the top punch is a .309 (marked413)size with a rounded top wich I plan to size .314 wadcutters with,a 314 die i obtained through ebay. the die is also marked 413 wich i cant use .
    There is still a black lube inside it wich is very thick wich I will problaby have to get out.but the machine will serve me for a long time because not a part is abused beyond repair.
    Regards,
    Oscar

i suggest a lil heat will help get the old lube out and i'd almost bet that the old black lube is lyman's ideal lube ( beeswax, lamp black and mutton fat ) the .413 die tho threw me off , i use the 413 top punch with a 311-413 mold and it also fits 311-332 , in a pinch it even works for 31141 or 311-041 ( the last two are flat points )

Boolit Bub
    my mistake the die is marked 311 no further markings.my guess it is an older lyman die

that's a safe bet , the newer lyman's have 4 rows of two holes and the older ones have 4 rows of four holes plus the older ones werent made for the o-ring at the top