Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: star air cylinder setup

star air cylinder setup

I sure would like to see some setups for the star air cylinder system. Information such as air sources you use, attachment fittings used, and overall system setup identifying fttings, hose etc.? I seem to be at a loss for this information.

I have an air tank with a chuck valve at the end of the hose. How should I modify this hose so that I can use it on my Star air cylinder system? What fittings do I use for the modification?
    Last edited by plaz; 11-10-2010 at 05:55 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    South Louisiana, right between New Orleans and Baton Rouge
    There is not much to tell. It comes as one complete unit with a quick connect and regulator for the air supply. Basically you just remove the plunger, screw part of the plunger on the air ram, screw the cylinder on the star, connect air line and adjust the built in air regulator. For air you can either use an air compressor or just air tank or one of those Kobalt CO2 tanks with the regulator you can get from Lowes. The cylinder only has a 4 or 5 inch stroke so hardly any air volume is actually needed.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Go to any Home Depot or Lowes. If you go to a harbor freight be careful as I have had the fittings they sell break on first use or leak all air. The air tank will already have a way to fill with air. The blue hose sold for air tools will work fine. Don't buy the small kit with the yellow hose that is coiled. It will leak and not hold air. The air cylinder will have a male fitting so you just need to buy two female air fittings that will go from hose to tank. Tell the floor person what you want to do.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Attachment 26743

I reconfigured the regulator on mine after I needed to replace the gauge and the addition of the roller handle. My set up uses a common 1/4" quick disconnect to attach the plastic coiled air hose to the small Wallyworld air coompressor under the bench.
    It is set for 30 pounds and 120 degrees using Magma hard lube.

They don't really use a whole lot of volume (if any), just constant pressure.
    Last edited by cheese1566; 06-08-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    True, true, true, a small air tank will run one for what seems like forever if you have no leaks. I used an air tank for a long time before buying a compressor.............Creeker

ADMIN

I have the part #s for all the parts they use but honestly after I price it out its almost cheaper to buy the complete setup from Star.
    The cylinder is like $28, then you need a custom fitting to connect it to the star, then a regulator, and assorted fittings...

Black Powder 100%

There are no custom air fittings any where on a Star!! They are standard fittings that are sold by Wally World, Home Depot, Lowe's and so on. The air cylinder is sold with the regulator and a male air fitting to connect your quick connect.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

ADMIN

correct but there is a part that must be either purchased from Magma or made if you don't purchase the complete setup from Magma.
    It is the part that connects between the air cylinder and the sizer.

Please forgive my foolish questions, I need the help. Maybe at 85 years old I am getting too old for this.

What size hose do I use to slip on the Star male fitting on the air cylinder? Do I slip on bare hose or hose with a fitting? If so what specific fitting should be on the hose that attaches to the air cylinder?

Thank you.

Attachment 26743

I reconfigured the regulator on mine after I needed to replace the gauge and the addition of the roller handle. My set up uses a common 1/4" quick disconnect to attach the plastic coiled air hose to the small Wallyworld air coompressor under the bench.
    It is set for 30 pounds and 120 degrees using Magma hard lube.

Are you using a 1/4 inch fitting on the end of your hose to fit on the 1/8 inch male fitting on the air cylinder?

ADMIN

This picture should help some

The "custom" part I am talking about is part # LM25
    But when I looked at the manual (last page -> http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf) it shows it as S109 and it is the same between manual feed and air so I am not sure.

The fitting on the regulator is 1/8 inch. Depending on which model you have it might have a 1/8 quick disconnect.

Here is a picture of the current production assembly
    Last edited by HATCH; 11-12-2010 at 11:50 AM.

My regulator has 1/8" ports. The incoming air line needed an adapter from 1/8" to 1/4" pipe thread to I could attach a male 1/4" quick disconnect to it. My air hose then has the 1/4" female quick coupling.

The quick coulings I use are all the same type and size between my various air compressors and tools in the shop, garage, and reloading bench. These are a pretty common style and sometimes referred to "style M". Be careful as there are different sizes and styles of male/female couplings and they must be all the same type to interchange.
    Last edited by cheese1566; 06-08-2012 at 09:34 AM.

My regulator has 1/8" ports. The incoming air line needed an adapter from 1/8" to 1/4" pipe thread to I could attach a male 1/4" quick disconnect to it. My air hose then has the 1/4" female quick coupling.

The quick coulings I use are all the same type and size between my various air compressors and tools in the shop, garage, and reloading bench. These are a pretty common style and sometimes referred to "style M". Be careful as there are different sizes and styles of male/female couplings and they must be all the same type to interchange.
    Love that handle...............Creeker

Moderator Emeritus
    Cajun Shooter,

Where are you getting this part "the air cylinder is sold with the regulator and a male air fitting to connect your quick connect."? What is the part number?

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by garandsrus; 11-12-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Love that handle...............Creeker
    Thanks!

Cold rolled steel, some copper pipe & fittings, and a rubber bike grip handle!
    It does tend to bend a little if the bullets are hard, but it works for me.

I think he is referring to the assembly sold by Magma. I thought of building one too before I found this used one. If I recall, the top nut on the lube resevoir is a common thread (CRS!). Some air cylinders have a threaded end for attaching to equipment, like the one used here. I don't recall it to be a special thread, just need to be sure it fits the lube resevoir cap which you takeoff the maunal crank assembly and screw on the air cylinder. Only thing a person may need to make or buy is the adapter coupling from the air cylinder rod to the plunger/seal assembly (and I think mine is common bolt threads.)
    Last edited by cheese1566; 11-12-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Where did you buy the 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter to attach to the air cylinder
    quick diosconnect? I can't find one for sale?

I cannot recall. It may have come with the assembly. Mine is a 1/8"MPTx 1/4"FPT.

Try your local hardware store in the pipe thread brass fittings. A knowledgeable clerk can help you out. If they don't have it one piece in brass, they could peace one together with steel fittings. This would take two or three pieces depending on what the air coupler has for a threaded end (male or female). May have a smaller luck at the big box home centers like Lowes.

If you have trouble, PM me and I'll run to my hardware store and look.

Quote Originally Posted by plaz View Post
    Where did you buy the 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter to attach to the air cylinder
    quick diosconnect? I can't find one for sale?
    Any home hardware store or auto parts store will have the fittings. Lowes, Home Depot, just check around their air tools and ask for some help. They should have all you need and its rather inexpensive.

Black Powder 100%

garandsus, I was stating how the air cylinder is sold and deleveried to customers. I needed these parts myself for a older Star and called the factory and therefore have no numbers.

Boolit Buddy
    now for the stupid question of the year. why is an air injector needed? common sense answer dictates that the lube grooves will be filled in more uniformly, especially with a hard lube. but i live in a hot as hell climate and the lube has no problem flowing during the summer. so do i need a air set up in my star? thanks