WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Progressive sizing

Exclamation Progressive sizing

I am new to casting/reloading but would it be possible to disable the auto index on a lee progressive press and buy multiple lee push trough sizing dies and and size multiple rounds with 1 pull of the press lever.
    I am young and ready to be ignorant about things for a little while longer

Thumbs up

That's a damned brilliant idea!

Boolit Master
    It would require making rams to fit the shell plate, I don't believe it will work well at all.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Don't the lee sizing sets come with shell plates

Lee Lube and Size Kit 356 Diameter

Fastest and easiest way to lubricate and size cast bullets. Standard 7/8"-14 threads fit most single stage reloading presses. Bullets are pushed through the sizing die nose first, so no special top punches are needed. Gas checks are automatically seated and crimped in place. Sized bullets are captured in the special container. A 4 oz bottle of Lee Liquid Alox bullet lube is included.

Technical Information

Directions for Use:
    • Lubricating Bullets:
    1. Place bullets in provided red plastic container and drop in the included Lee Liquid Alox onto the bullets.
    2. Gently shake the bullets in an orbital motion to coat the bullets. If they do not coat completely, add a little more lube.
    3. Spread the bullets onto waxed paper and let dry overnight.
    4. Load at least one bullet into a case and check to be sure it easily chambers in the gun. If it fits tightly, you must resize the bullet before loading.
    • Sizing Bullets:
    1. Screw the sizing die into any standard reloading press. Exact depth is not important.
    2. Install the bullet punch into the ram. This fits all rams that use standard shellholders.
    3. Place the red plastic container with the lubed bullets inside on top of the sizing die.
    4. Place bullet on the punch and push the bullet through the die.
    5. When 3/4 of the bullets have been loaded, lift the red plastic container off the die. Invert the holder before opening.
    6. For rifle and hot pistol loads, it is best to relube the bullets to ensure the sized portion is recoated.
    NOTES:
    • Lee recommends bullets be relubed after sizing to be sure the sized portion is coated with Alox.
    • All lead bullets must be lubricated, but it is not absolutely necessary to size all case bullets. Bullets must be sized if they are so large that they expand the case too much to freely enter the gun's chamber. Sizing sometimes helps accuracy by making the bullet uniform in diameter. This ensures uniform start pressure and better accuracy. Gas checks can be installed with this tool. Simply place the gas check on the base of the bullet before sizing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	343992.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	26456

Boolit Master

It all depends on WHICH Lee press your talking about.
    The 1000----NO
    The Load Master,--Yes--err maybe.

Someone better jump in here--quickly---please?

Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Load master

Boolit Master
    Lee progressive presses use shell plates, not shell holders. the size die ram is designed to fit a single stage press. No way to hold it in a 1000 or a loadmaster.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Banned

Well if you can find a shell plate that will take the ram pin for the LEE sizer, or make a pin that fits a plate.

I'd disable the indexing and use the station that has the bullet feeder.
    It would make things Very automatic - fill the feeder and just keep pulling the handle.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't seem like it would be any faster. You'll still have to manually set each bullet for all sizers at the same time, and keep everything in alignment. Just seems easier to use one sizer die. Try it and let us know how it went. Interesting idea.
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) -

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Exclamation Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
    Well if you can find a shell plate that will take the ram pin for the LEE sizer, or make a pin that fits a plate.

I'd disable the indexing and use the station that has the bullet feeder.
    It would make things Very automatic - fill the feeder and just keep pulling the handle.
    I was planning on on disabling the auto index

Banned

Then buy multiple feeders and use one on every station. With the Pro1000 that's 3 boolits sized per pull! Just keeping the feeder full will keep you busy!!!!
    Without the feeder however, I don't see any advantage at all to your idea.
    Manually sitting a boolit on each ram pin (and having them stay there!) is not feasible. I doubt it would work with 2 pins.

Exclamation Interesting

Then buy multiple feeders and use one on every station. With the Pro1000 that's 3 boolits sized per pull! Just keeping the feeder full will keep you busy!!!!
    Without the feeder however, I don't see any advantage at all to your idea.
    Manually sitting a boolit on each ram pin (and having them stay there!) is not feasible. I doubt it would work with 2 pins.
    I may have to try that but I haven't bought my first press so I cant test it yet and I way thinking of maybe using the loadmaster and if I did what you suggested then I could do 5 boolits a pull. I am going to buy my reloading and casting equipment in December if i get enough money maybe I will buy enough sizers to test this.

Banned

You know, Now that you got me thinking about this, I bet you could put the Feeder on a normal press and it would still work for sizing! I need to take some measurements!

< a few minutes later>

OK, on the Loadmaster - only stations 1,3 and 4 will fit the Feeder. Stations 2 and 5 have press structural parts in the feeder's way, #5 has the actuating arm interfering also. BUT there are no linkage connections for #1 and 3. So Adding a feeder to those stations is problematic at best. You could easily modify the ram pin to fit a #14 shell plate (45 colt) so this is possible.

I checked a LEE Classic press also, it will take a feeder and not munch the feed fingers ( I think ). Of course, there is no linkage connection on this press either. You could manualy move the feed slider back and forth. that would keep your fingers out of the press. (How many of you have managed a pinch or two?)

Exclamation Hello

You know, Now that you got me thinking about this, I bet you could put the Feeder on a normal press and it would still work for sizing! I need to take some measurements!

< a few minutes later>

OK, on the Loadmaster - only stations 1,3 and 4 will fit the Feeder. Stations 2 and 5 have press structural parts in the feeder's way, #5 has the actuating arm interfering also. BUT there are no linkage connections for #1 and 3. So Adding a feeder to those stations is problematic at best. You could easily modify the ram pin to fit a #14 shell plate (45 colt) so this is possible.

I checked a LEE Classic press also, it will take a feeder and not munch the feed fingers ( I think ). Of course, there is no linkage connection on this press either. You could manually move the feed slider back and forth. that would keep your fingers out of the press. (How many of you have managed a pinch or two?)
    Hey I took the ideas you suggested and posted a request for someone to try this in the special projects forum.

Boolit Grand Master

This seems to contridict what you want to do?

2. Install the bullet punch into the ram. This fits all rams that use standard shellholders.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Does anybody have a link to the video of Freakshow sizing and lubing on a Star? Just might change this fella's mind!?.

Boolit Master

I doubt the press has enough leverage to size more than 2 bullets at a time.