WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bell System Wiping Solder - What is it and how can I cast with it?

Boolit Master
    I had 980 lbs of linotype and only could sell 2 60# boxes shipped for $75.00
    Shipping was $13.95 so they were offered linotype for just over $1.00 per pound.
    My brother took 1/2 of it for what I had in it ( about $0.89 ) and I just kept the rest.

Linotype is worth about $2.30 per pound if you count what the materials in it cost.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Buddy
    LW

Dang, that is tough.

I'll probably do the same and end up keeping the ingots for myself. Not only do they have a commodity value, they are probably 50+ years old, for what it is worth.

jonblack

Boolit Grand Master
    any of you all want to buy a mold
    or trade for one
    I know what you fellas mean
    sometimes they get scooped and sometimes not
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    My Grandfather gave me 10 of those exact ingots 25 years ago. I smelted them down into 1 pound ingots and keep them labeled in an ol Army ammo can. I use them all the time mixed with pure lead and WWs. They have been nice to have. After all this time I'd love to come accross a few more. MIke

Boolit Buddy

Adk Mike - I am in the Saratoga area and have some lino pigs to get rid of. Are you close by?

Boolit Grand Master

You guys have to stop looking at the spot metals market. Scrap is only worth what you can sell it for. If you have metal offered on this board and it doesn't sell, then you have it priced too high. It's as simple as that. Lower the price until it sells or keep it.

Boolit Buddy
    I pulled the ad on the wiping solder bars due to lack of interest. I'd rather hold onto it than sell it at a price that I will regret latter.

jonblack

reloaders and casters are thrifty by nature , true i could buy solder from roto metals for 7.99 @ # ( less in larger quantities 40/60 )
    http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/solder4060.htm

which beats buying it at lowes/homedepot @

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-To...atalogId=10053

@ $12.42 a # for 50/50 but mostly i use pewter i find in garbage sales that are old and mangled ( sometimes not but ..) the uglier it is the cheaper i get it for , the best to date ? 7 #'s of 98% pure tin for $1.00 and i prolly could of talked them down , $3-5 is my limit per pound which is also more than the scrap guy will give u for old pewter [shrugz]

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    $3-5 is my limit per pound which is also more than the scrap guy will give u for old pewter [shrugz]
    The weird thing is my 5 pound bar of 38/62 was $20 plus $4.95 shipping, which works out to $5 per pound shipped. The price got cheaper if you bought more than one bar because the shipping gets divided across each additional bar of solder. My highest price was cheaper per pound than than the website you mentioned. In fact I was 50% of their price for an effectively equivalent alloy. I was $4/lb + ship, and they are $7.99/lb + ship. Still, I had no interest so I pulled the ad.

jonblack
    Last edited by jonblack; 10-25-2010 at 12:58 AM.

ummm my 3-5 limit is for almost pure tin .... yes i know that the two web sites i posted was higher ( i did after all post them ... ) i also saw the last comment on ur past thread .... unless a item posted for sale is a steal it often sets there for a bit - even if it's a decent price members come and go as they can , i've spent alot of my evening time this week casting ( lovin the weather ! ) , $25 shipped per 2 pounds = 12.50 per pound tin btw , a month or two ago roto metals had a sale , end result i believe if bought in quantity was appox $10 per pound of pure tin ( mite of been $10.99 [shrugz] ), i had no spare cash to take advantage of that either ( especially in the quantity required to get that price ( 50+ with free shipping ))

Boolit Master
    I guess I timed it right. A few months ago I ordered #50 pounds of tin for the price break plus it was a 10% off special. I ended up with tin for about $9.00 or less per pound. Anyway I have enough tin for a ton ( literally) of boolits.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    When I buy tin on eBay I figure on paying up to $10/lb, and ignore the Pb. So for your 5-lb ingots that are almost 40% Sn, I wouldn't pay more than $20 each, and be happy. And one ingot would sweeten 95 lbs of WW's nicely.
    Echo

When you say one ingot would sweetend 95 lbs of WW, are you referring to clip-on WW? I just wanted to make sure and differentiate between stick-on WW.

Thank you
    jonblack

Boolit Man
    I'm meeting a guy tomorrow to buy lbs of lead that was on Craigslist. The seller says that it's from Ohio Bell. I wonder if it's wiping solder. If it is, I'll soon be looking to trade for pure or selling a portion of what I'm buying.

Any idea what else it could be coming from Ohio Bell?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
    I'm meeting a guy tomorrow to buy lbs of lead that was on Craigslist. The seller says that it's from Ohio Bell. I wonder if it's wiping solder. If it is, I'll soon be looking to trade for pure or selling a portion of what I'm buying.

Any idea what else it could be coming from Ohio Bell?
    Cable sheath.

Boolit Buddy
    Your example is not really a direct comparison. I made a direct comparison in price between my 38/62 and their 40/60. Yes, there is a difference in alloy but a fair enough comparison. I was cheaper by 50%.

$25 shipped per 2 pounds = 12.50 per pound tin btw ,
    ...a month or two ago roto metals had a sale , end result i believe if bought in quantity was appox $10 per pound of pure tin ( mite of been $10.99 [shrugz] ),<snip>in the quantity required to get that price ( 50+ with free shipping ))
    The quoted comparison is between my 2# tin price and their 50# tin price. I would have, no doubt, lowered my price per bar if a buyer had bought 50# of tin, which would have been 25 bars of solder. Plus he would have gotten 75# of lead as part of the deal, which some seem to overlook the value of in my offer, yet others are selling lead for $1 per pound in 50 pound lots.

I also offered free shipping with purchases of 6 or more bars. So that means a guy could have gotten my tin for $10 a pound, free shipping and 18 pounds of "free" lead for a total outlay of $120. The buyer would have had to spend $500 to get tin for $10/lb on the site mentioned.

A lot can happen in a month or so. The price of tin is much higher now than it was a month ago. Their sale was over during the time mine was current.

I think the real problem is the way my product was offered (as bars of solder) made it hard to understand that it was a good deal compared to competitors' prices, especially when comparing apples-to-apples.

I took a look on eBay and the best deals on there (that actually sell) are comparable to my offer. There are also higher prices. Some sell but most don't. The bottom line is I didn't sell any here, so the price must have been too high for this particular venue.

I apologize for the rant. I don't mean anything personal by it. I just want to clarify the information and present it in a comparative manner.
    I shouldn't worry about it so much. I guess I'm just sore I didn't sell any of my solder, and I should quit whining about it now!

Thanks for putting up with my whining
    jonblack
    Last edited by jonblack; 10-29-2010 at 01:02 AM.

this is the telling part ..
    " Some sell but most don't "....

there's a current one on ebay ....50 #'s $60 - 85% tin 15% antimony plus $11 shipping = 42 #'s for 70 ....it seems to be selling ,it's also in my "magic price range and i have no money this week [double dratz] plus it has 7.5 #'s of antimony ( which is desirable by way )

http://cgi.ebay.com/lead-free-sinker...item3a5fed0d14

also part of the problem from my perception is that u didnt leave the add up very long , of course in ur eyes it was too long but i'm not here to quibble [shrugz] and metal markets will always be in flux but nowhere do i know that i can take my lead , tin , silver or gold or even steel in and get full current daily value , FWIW if one ordered $100 of tin from rotometals they offer free shipping as well , the really weird thing ? i see alot of adds for lead all for basically the same price yet some guys cant seem to give it away while other guys cant seem to keep it in stock ( yes at the very same price ) [shrugz] i have a add up right now that has a freebie in it ( well other than u pay for the shipping ) i know it's a part some one could use , it may sit there for a week or it could go tonite or it could not go at all but it'll never go if i drop the add ( except in the lead pot for flux and that would be a waste )

Boolit Buddy
    there's a current one on ebay ....50 #'s $60 - 85% tin 15% antimony plus $11 shipping
    ----------------------------------------------
    also part of the problem from my perception is that u didnt leave the add up very long ,
    Hey, that is a good deal!

Yes, you are right. I didn't leave the add up long enough. Probably should have left it up for a while. Might have sold a few, but then I wouldn't have anything to complain about!

Thanks again
    jonblack

there's a current one on ebay ....50 #'s $60 - 85% tin 15% antimony plus $11 shipping = 42 #'s for 70 ....it seems to be selling ,it's also in my "magic price range and i have no money this week [double dratz] plus it has 7.5 #'s of antimony ( which is desirable by way )

http://cgi.ebay.com/lead-free-sinker...item3a5fed0d14

Wow! A little over a $1 per pound! That is good!
    But as with most flebay alloy do he really know if it is 85% tin 15% atimony??
    Does anyone know the seller?

Boolit Man
    imashooter2 - I think that your guess is correct. The seller described the product from which this lead was recovered as "tubing". Although I don't know exactly what cable sheath is, it sounds like this would have been it. It seems pretty soft - it's case into ingots.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
    imashooter2 - I think that your guess is correct. The seller described the product from which this lead was recovered as "tubing". Although I don't know exactly what cable sheath is, it sounds like this would have been it. It seems pretty soft - it's case into ingots.

Cable sheath is thin lead tubing that surrounds underground wire for waterproofing. There are many formulas, but all are close enough to pure to be used as such for hobby casting purposes.

My Father was a Bell Lineman and in the '60's we shot literally tons of it.