Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carcano Trade

Boolit Master

Carcano Trade

I picked up a sporterized Carcano today in a trade. It's a 6.5 that has been sporterized quite some time ago and it was done very tastefully in my opinion. I used to have one back in the late sixties, but can't rememer what I did with it. Need to pick up a couple of clips/magzines for it now.

I've got a couple of 6.5 moulds, RCBS 140-FNGC and a Lee CM that may work. Haven't used the CM mould yet, but have being following some threads on it that don't seem too promising.

Thought about paper patching my RCBS 6.5, but I don't have any PP experience.

If looks were indications, it ought to shoot great!
    Last edited by Uncle Grinch; 10-29-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Looks like a neat and well done conversion. Let us know how it shoots.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

That is a STUNNING Carcano.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Very nice!!

Doug

Super Moderator

..............That's sure a sweet looking little rifle, or carbine? Appears that whoever did it, did it very well. BRP makes a mould of the Lee 6.5mm 'Kurtz' group buy we did a couple years back and they're showing 130grs @ .269". Also a copy of the 268469 @ 140gr and the same OD.

The Kurtz group buy would be the one on the left, with the CM on the right. As done for the Lee GB they'd drop right around .269" and a tad over .270" with straight lino. In the photo both are seated to engrave in my M96 Swede. That little sporter of yours deserves some thoughtfull load work. I'd also get some of the Hornady 160gr RNSP slugs.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............That's sure a sweet looking little rifle, or carbine? Appears that whoever did it, did it very well. BRP makes a mould of the Lee 6.5mm 'Kurtz' group buy we did a couple years back and they're showing 130grs @ .269". Also a copy of the 268469 @ 140gr and the same OD.

The Kurtz group buy would be the one on the left, with the CM on the right. As done for the Lee GB they'd drop right around .269" and a tad over .270" with straight lino. In the photo both are seated to engrave in my M96 Swede. That little sporter of yours deserves some thoughtfull load work. I'd also get some of the Hornady 160gr RNSP slugs.

.............Buckshot
    Do you think paper patching my RCBS-26-140-FNGC would work?
    Never tried PP'ing before.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Very nice!

Congrats on such great find!!

Three 44s

Boolit Master

For someone to put that much into sporterizing the rifle, I'd bet it was a good shooter.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master

I removed the stock last night and was it ever a close fit. The inletting is nearly perfect all the way around and the bedding is perfect, no glass what so ever. It's a very tight fit. Somebody really took some time fitting this action to the stock. I suspect it was done many years ago.

I cannot find any identifying marks or names on the wood or butt plate. I just wonder about the history of this rifle!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master

That is probably the best looking Carcano I've ever seen, period. Second best was in a pawn shop here, had set triggers and a very well done military stock redo.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    No doubt its the best Carcano. I have 2 of them. Their rough as a cob. Some food for though on my next project. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

Very nice indeed. Done by a true crafsman.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Do you think paper patching my RCBS-26-140-FNGC would work?
    Never tried PP'ing before.
    ..............If you patched up an existing 6.5mm cast slug, it'd for sure have to be sized down some before patching. If you used 9# paper when dry it'd add .007" to the slug's OD. Smallest slug I ever patched was a 30 cal. Previously they'd all be 45 caliber and that 30 seemed so TINY! But I know that 22's have been patched (but not by ME!).

Slug it first and see what you're working with. I know that the 7.35 Carcano chambers are tight but don't recall hearing that about the 6.5's? I have a M38 Carcano (7.35) and a M91 Moschetto TS carbine in 6.5mm but offhand don't recall what I reloaded for it or how it did. I have the data but not available to me at this moment. I know the 7.35 x 51 did surprisingly well, and at some fairly respectable velocities too.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    This Carcano reminds me of Cooey modified Carcanos sold in Eaton stores somewgere in 30's.
    I'm far too young to remember them in those days ,but they do pop up on gun shows in Ontario on regular bases.
    This one however,is much better looking ,it possibly was modified much further by one of the owners or it's a modification done by someone else.
    How is barrel set in the receiver?If it threads into receiver via short stub with a set screw visible underneath ,than chances are you have Eatons model.

Maybe someone else is more familiar with Cooey Carcanos?

Boolit Master
    Buckshot I picked up a pretty good 7.35 Carcano a couple months ago. Could yo share some insight into loads and boolits that you found satisfactory? The barrel in this looks pretty good and should be a good shooter. Neil

I saw a M38 a year or so ago at a gunshow and it was sportered ugly. Looks like somebody carved the stock with a dull knife. I was interested in it, but the action had been strapped at the door for safety and the guy wouldn't open it. I couldn't look at the bore. So I passed on it. By the way Uncle Grinch great looking rifle there!
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Great looking wood and somebody certainly went into the effort to add new front and rear sights too.

I picked up a naked Carcano action to someday barrel in 35 Rem. Feeds fine using the clips, just holds 5 instead of 6. Now if I could just find a sweet sporter stock like that......

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post

.............Buckshot

Just a small point on the BRP copy of the Kurtz. they are not exactly the same. the Brp has a different nose and the grooves/lands are different.

I'm still shooting up some manleyJT gave me and haven't shot any of the BRP bullets yet.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NoDakJak View Post
    Buckshot I picked up a pretty good 7.35 Carcano a couple months ago. Could yo share some insight into loads and boolits that you found satisfactory? The barrel in this looks pretty good and should be a good shooter. Neil
    .............The 7.35mm's have very tight chambers (as a rule) I've heard, and mine certainly does. The groove of my M38 is .301" and I just about thought I was going to have to turn the casenecks to be able to chamber a round with a .301" cast slug, let alone .302"!

These 9 loads are about the sum total of the cast lead I've used in the 7.35 x 51. They were all 5 rounds @ 50 yards. Brass was the Privi 6.5 x 52 with their necks opened up. The boolit used was the Lee C309-150R & 160. They were lube-sized .308" and then run up through a ho-made .301" die. I'll post the loads and velocities for the above tomorrow. Some of those were running at and just over 2,000 fps. The sights were a problem for me, having to bury the front blade in the rear notch the same from shot to shot.

1) 8.0 Red Dot, 1286/11/30 .............150gr Lee, no filler
    2) 17.0 2400, 1827/12/28 ................150gr Lee, dacron
    3) 17.0 2400, 1810/22/44 ................ 160gr Lee, no filler
    4) 17.0 2400, 1842/16/32 ............... 160gr Lee, dacron
    5) 23.0 H4198, 2009/7/17 ................ 160gr Lee, dacron
    6 & 8) Same load different filler. Load #6) 32.0gr Surp IMR4895 ..... 160gr Lee GREX, 2072/21/56. Load #8) Dacron, 2064/34/80
    7) 17.0 2400, 1824/13/35 Guess I REALLY liked that load 160gr Lee, dacron
    9) 12.0 SR7625, 1583/6/15 ...............160gr Lee, no filler

................Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 10-30-2010 at 11:16 PM.

In Remebrance

Mike, that's the very best looking Carcano I've ever seen!