Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Low-temp component storage

Byron Cromwell

Exclamation Low-temp component storage

Awright:
    I just bought the primers. The small pistol (Tula from Graf and Sons) are still in the plastic wrap from the factory, the large rifle are Winchester and sealed in the box but no plastic wrap. They are currently on an upper shelf in a cardboard box inside an unheated building in central Maine. It rains outside but the building is tight, and winters here are cold and dry.
    As per insurance restrictions and space requirements, the powder is still new in the sealed cans and caddies, also in the unheated bldg.
    Will this kill the powder and primers? I've fired thirty-to-forty year old primers and powder -- opened for that long -- with very few misfires, maybe three out of a thousand, but the stuff was free. I paid for this, however, and I don't want to lose my investment.

Any siggestions?

Byron

Well, the instructions on most things that are explosive say 'store in a cool dry place". That seems to be a cool dry place. While I don't think this will actually be a problem, you may want to call the powder manufacturer and see what they have to say.

Boolit Master

Cold is your friend for long term storage, heat is what deteriorates powder and primers. There are probably not to many places better in the country than where you are for powder storage!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    Cool and dry is ideal. Some folks keep powder and primers in a freezer. They bring it up to room temperature to use. I never saw the need. Cool, dry, and dark or subdued light if your surplus powders are in white jugs.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

I store my primers in a .50 cal. ammo can.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

I store my powders and primers in cooler's ,The temps stay pretty constant ,and you can just stack em

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean D. View Post
    On a shelf in the linen closet, without the ammo can would be a safer way to store the primers.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Buddy
    I have a friend that at one time used metal ammo cans to store primers. He had a house fire and the primers detonated causing the primer can to explode. His advice was to not store primers in metal ammo cans.
    Last edited by c3d4b2; 10-30-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: dyslexic typing