RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FLAT Points

311440 with h-p!
    hollow-point .......... member in south australia ...............THE MAN WHO NEVER MADE A MISTAKE NEVER MADE ANYTHING!!!! mature age is a privilige granted to but few!

My 311440 is stupid accurate and kills like the Hammer of Thor! I drive it 2000fps for out to 100 yard shooting and 2200 for out to 200 yards. It do slow down fast!
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

I only use FPs for hunting. I just posted a report with one of MiHecs GB 44/444 FP

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...96#post1045696

Boolit Buddy

Ranch Dog +1

Ranch dog moulds are made for hunting. I have used 3 different bullets from them on deer. The deer lost.
    To me they are some of the best bullets for hunting. I like the big flat nose on them and they are easy to get to shoot well.

Brad
    a+ on what Bras said

Another Ranch Dog +1.
    However, the 311440 is very good if your gun will feed it.

I have an NEI mold the same shape, #440 I think.... for a 45-70..
    In my alloy it weighs a nominal 445 grains and when it hits, you hear it!!
    What it hits, goes down. It's not for long range but but it's good to 100 yards, farther than most pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Check and see if Frank Marshall did not do something along these lines with a 311284 with a fp filed on it in .30-30. My meonry is a little fuzzy on the details but I think he used slow powder and got less than 2000 fps but claimed it put deer down good.

That story by Frank Marshall is in the Lyman #3 Cast Bullet manual.

Boolit Master
    Well, far, far from being an expert, but the results with my 355grLBT/WFN boolit ahead of 55.gr of RL#7 were Aaaaaaaaaaaasome in my first cast boolit critter taken back 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Should have started this cast boolit hunting back awhile, as age says I'll never become much of an expert with the time left.

Hope to take a few more cast boolit critters with my #1, as this first time makes, "impressive" a huge understatement!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I am just recently back from my lastest hunting trip in the wide open lands of eastern Montana. Had an incident occur that involved "flat point" cast bullets.

My son and I were out one morning when he spotted a Mulie doe that had a good part of her right rear leg missing; presumably shot off. We both had doe tags, so we decided to try to get upon her and put her down. Well she was pretty alert and spotted us right away and was pretty good on her three legs at keeping her distance from us and gradually widening the distance.

My son decided to try a shot with his .308 Win. I used the rangefinder and marked her at a little over 400 yards with a strong but varing cross wind. He fired two rounds which we were not able to spot. He then suggested that I give it a try.

I was carrying my Ruger #1 chambered in .33 Krag (.30-40 Krag blown out to .338). The load starts the boollet off at 2400 fps. The boollet is WW & softer lead, tempered to about 28 BHN with a gas check and a "flat point" meplat of .225". My first shot was spotted several feet down wind and a little low. This caused her to move a little further out to maybe 475 - 500 yards before turning and looking back at us. My second shot was unspotted. High I thought. At my third shot there was a "Whoomph" and the doe started trotting downhill back towards us and after going about 50 yards went down for the count.

A close up examination showed that the boollet had hit high behind the shoulder striking a rib, angled down through the lungs missing the heart, nicked the edge of the stomach and exited. The entry hole was pencil size. The exit hole was thumb size. Meat in the ribs was blood shot for about an inch and a half from the hole. Lungs were pretty well scambled and there was only slight leakage from the stomach. Could not tell for sure what had severed the leg, but I believe it probably started with a bullet. Still had slight blood flow. No infection. I tagged her.

I relate this incident, not to start an off topic hunting ethics debate, or one about long range accuracy, but about the killing ability of hard "flat point" cast boollets and their effects on deer at long range.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master
    Good report Doughty!!

Thanks!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master

Just read an article in a June 1935 American Rifleman about using a boolit with a cylinder shaped nose of bore rider type. The author, F.C.Ness was trying to develop a glance proof bullet for varmint hunting in settled areas.
    Hensley made the mold with four plungers for bullets that weighed from 115grs. to 135grs. These were fired in 30-06, 30-40, and a couple other 30 cal. rifles.
    The comments on range made here are very similar to what the author and his shooting buddies experienced. The effect on game was said to be excellent with the solid and hp noses. Accuracy was good up to 100 yards and sometimes beyond.
    Seems there is very little in the shooting world that hasn't already been tried.
    Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.

"Moderator Emeritus"

I shoot the 311284 out of my Krag and 30-06 as cast and it works well for me.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.