Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: New mould for 32 short colt

New mould for 32 short colt

I was just "window shopping" on the Buffalo Arms web site and in their "new offerings thy list .313" 84 grain 32 short colt heel 2- cav mould
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/new.htm

I found a Marlin 1892 chambered for this and have been shooting .315" ,43gr round ball over 2.5 gr of Unique. This works fine for paper at 25yrds

Has anyone tried this mould? It is pricey but if I thought it would get the little rifle shooting....

Thanks
    Range Gypsy

Boolit Grand Master
    $165 for a two cavity, ouch. I wonder who made it.

I would buy a custom mold for half of that price first.

Robert

On the web site Buffalo Arms claims to have their own CNC set up if I am understanding it correctly.

And the price is why I am inquireing, I was hopeing to hear a testimnial before purchasing.
    Or at least an idea if the dimensions sound feaseable.
    I am aware of a NEI mould that some have not had much luck with, ?too long a heel?

I am not sure I would know what to ask for in a custom mould, I am a shooter but by no means a boolit designer

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I would ask for a duplicate of the old Ideal #299152, it dropped at 80 gr. and was of the correct dimensions.

Boolit Grand Master
    Right off the bat the dimensions seem too small. I measured one ofmy dwindling supply of .32 Short Colt bullets, it was .315" diameter. When I followed the link, I didn't see any picture or drawing of the bullet.

While I have never seen any of his work; CBE from Australia had gotten good reviews, and I think he makes a mold for the heeled 32's. Also I read on another thread that Accurate molds is looking into making a heeled mold for the .32's.

Good Luck,

Robert

Thanks, when I referred to my note book. I found that my rifle slugged at .316" so you may be right about the mould being too small.

The rifle is in excelent shape but the bore is not as mint as the rest of the gun, with some pitting near the chamber. I have had some groups of about 1.5" at 25 yrds with 43 gr round ball. But I was looking for something a little heavier, You know, just in case I had to get rid of a rabid mouse or attack pidgeon

I am really looking forward to working up a good load for this little rifle , but for now I guess I will have to settle for the round ball.

Range Gypsy,

I have an 1892 Marlin in .32 Colt and it is chambered for the .32 Long Colt as I believe all on them were according to an 1897 Marlin catalog.

Interestingly though, there was a "stop" soldered onto the lifter so that only .32 Short Colt cartridges could be fed from the magazine. A little heat from a propane torch and the "stop" was removed so that it now works with .32 Long Colt ammo aok.
    Is that the situation with your rifle?

I am fortunate in that the groove diameter in my rifle is .310".

Accurate Molds will make a single cavity to your specifications for $73.
    www.accuratemolds.com

He has a bullet mold made for the .32 Long Colt. The diameters can be specified at the time an order is placed.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-090C-D.png

or.....you could send him a sketch of the bullet you want and he will make it for you.

I have several molds made by Tom. He has been great to work with.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

w30wcf,

My rifle will feed both the 32 Short Colt and the 32 Long Colt ammo. It also has the rimfire firing pin.

I got impatient and ordered the mould from Buffalo Arms. That was a few months ago and I have only gotten to the range today with it for the first time.

(been too busy with CAS to play with the 32)

I loaded only 2 bullets in each the short and the long cases. Without loading data I am worried about pressures. I understand it is a relatively weak gun and not meant for smokeless powders.

The bullets seemed to fly strait ( that is goal # 2 ) but with a feeble charge of 1.8 gr of Bullseye the group was ,... well you could hardly call it a group

No signs of pressures (goal #1)So now to play with it and try to bring the bullets closer together...

What do you use for a charge?

Thanks
    Range Gypsy

Boolit Buddy
    My Ideal book #36 lists the 31357 as the standard bullet for the .32 Colt's. It's diameter is listed as .313, and used a 2,5 grains of Bullseye, or 12 grains of FFF black powder. Best regards, the toolman

JMtoolman,

Thanks, ... off to the loading bench
    Then test #2

Thanks
    Range Gypsy

Range Gypsy,
    The factory .32 Long Colt / 90 gr. smokeless loading was 2.0 grs of Bullseye. Since it appears that the bullet you are using is lighter and would intrude less into the powder space, you may get away with the 2.5 / Bullseye in the Long case but I would not exceed that.

The 2.5/Bullseye that JMtoolman kindly posted was used in the .32 Colt (not .32 Long Colt) which is the same as the .32 S&W Long and has a larger powder capacity since the case ID is .312" whereas the .32 Long Colt is .299".

Personally, I use 2.0 Bullseye or 2.5 / 231. I also have used black powder (Swiss) and long ago discontinued SR80 in 4.0 gr charges which is a capacity load that was recommended way back when.

Is your bullet large enough to fit your .316" groove diameter?

The original IDEAL mold for the .32 Short Colt was the 299152 (80 grs) and for the .32 Long Colt, 299153 (90 grs.) which is a heeled bullet and was used in cases that were .78" long. They were externally lubricated.

The bullet for the .32 Long Rifle (case length .910") was the 299155 which was a hollow based bullet. That is the last type of cartrige produced.

Below is a pic showing the 2 different case lengths and bullet types.

I use the .78" case length (left) which I trim back from .91" and use heeled bullets per the pic below. I use standard bullets and use a sizing die to taper the back band for a press fit into fired cases.

left to right 315" dia. Hornady / 311244 / 311245 / 311245 black powder

Here are the bullets:

l to r - 299155, 299153, NEI, Shot capsule / 311244, 311245, Hornady 90 SWC

Uncle Jack offers the 299153 bullet (used in .78" cases) and also offers brass
    http://uncle-jack.com/shooters.htm

32 Long CF, 1000 ft/sec, Marlin 1891, 25 yd, Tang Sight
    Ideal 299153 in one of my formed cases.

have fun!
    w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

w30wcf,

Wow thanks for all the info! I was not going to jump directly to the 2.5 grains of Bullseye and after your post , 2 sounds like a good stopping point.

I used "cerosafe" to measure the bore and am now doubting my measurements as my boolits seem to be a tight fit at the muzzle. I will have to run a lead slug thruogh the bore if I encounter problems.

Also , I was not thinking,. The cases I have are the long variety, perhaps I should trim them. ?
    I was thinking of cartridge length like in my target rifle where you want the boolit to just reach the rifleing is this a problem in loading for this little cartridge?? It is a long way from my 40-65

Also a question of lube? would you suggest tumble lubing in alox? Before loading or dipping the bullet after loaded? or something else? Those first ones I couldn't wait for alox to dry so I lubed the exposed boolit with SPG.
    ( got some to shoot )

Thanks again for the help

Range Gypsy

Boolit Grand Master

Have you looked at Old West bullets? I know they make heeled boolit molds and I think they have one or two for the .32.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Range Gypsy,
    If your rifle is like mine, it will chamber the longer case with the heeled bullet when fed into the chamber, but it would be too long to feed through the magazine.

.316" does sound a bit big for an 1892 Marlin groove diameter but anything is possible. My rifle runs .310" in the groove.

Regarding lube, tumble lubing with LLA works aok. I do use SPG on b.p. rounds and it works with smokeless as well. These days I mostly lube in a lubrisizer prior to tapering the heel to fit into fired cases.

Wayne,
    Yes, Bernie does. I am working with him on another project (.22 L.R. bullet for b.p.) and the info that he recently sent me shows a bullet for the .32 Colt.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

Ammunition of yesteryear

From the 1905 Marlin catalog

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member