Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: STINK Bugs in the East!

Boolit Master
    they only breed out side in the spring and summer. they find any crack to get in the house where it is warm.

today we closed the storm windows and seal the inside windows with duct tape. also fouming the sill plates in the basement. also the basement door.

Boolit Buddy
    Bidrin(dicrotophos) is better than Bifenthrin for controlling stinkbugs. Southern States will know about it. We have to use Bidrin every year to control stinkbugs in Cotton. You can only expect a little residule control no mater what you use. High rates of Bidrin or Bifenthrin may keep them away for 1-2 weeks, but it may be long enough to break the cycle. Good luck.
    Be the bullet...

Another great thread on castboolits, This one is a hoot.
    We have the Boxelders and Spruce Moths here in WY,they are moving in as the weather cools off.
    When I was a kid my Dad would take us up to Mt. Lassen in CA with 6 kids and give each one of us a 5 gallon bucket.In the spring the Lady bugs would swarm around their winter dens and still be cold enough to scoop them up put screen mesh over the top.He would then sell them to the nurseries in the Bay Area for $5.00 a pound to eat Aphids on their roses.I don't know if it was "profitable" but he loved the mountains.BTW Ladybugs will bite you!

Banned

I tried the soap and borax, works as good as anything.
    BUT, the stuff settled to the bottom and at the end I made white spots all over the siding. Now I need to power wash!

Banned

Holy cow. What a pain.

Is there a higher humidity in your areas? I guess nothing gets inspected anywhere anymore. Come on in the USA and take a dump..

Banned

All I know is a guy needs 100 billion boolits to shoot them!

one word
    cynoff

Banned

On a semi same topic-

I have a bug repellant I developed that repels tics and mosquitos. All natural non-toxic and works for Humans and pets as well. Tics will not land period, and neither will blood suckers, the California variety anyway. We've been using it for 3 years with excellent results.

Our dogs run through brush with not a tic landing. Normally, they would be loaded up,. Have no idea if it will work on fleas as we have none up here.

I've been asked to consider marketing it. Would like to try it out with hunters and shooters. If someone is interested in trying a sample, let me know. Maybe getting late in the year for it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    On a semi same topic-

I have a bug repellant I developed that repels tics and mosquitos. All natural non-toxic and works for Humans and pets as well. Tics will not land period, and neither will blood suckers, the California variety anyway. We've been using it for 3 years with excellent results.

Our dogs run through brush with not a tic landing. Normally, they would be loaded up,. Have no idea if it will work on fleas as we have none up here.

I've been asked to consider marketing it. Would like to try it out with hunters and shooters. If someone is interested in trying a sample, let me know. Maybe getting late in the year for it.
    Good luck. Current cost to bring a pesticide to market is in the neighborhood of $150 million, give or take 20 million or so. Repellants are a bit cheaper.

Repellants also depend a great deal on an individual's body chemistry. A product that works great on one person might be totaly ineffective on another. Examples of that are Avon Skin so Soft...many people swear by it as a mosquito repellant, other will tell you it is useless. Local company markets Cactus Juice, a prickly pear derivative. Again, some people have great results, but many get no relief at all.
    Last edited by Charley; 10-01-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Banned

On a semi same topic-

Have you been able to test it on gnats or black flies?
    I would love to test some but it looks like they are gone for the year. If you can repel them you will be making a lot of money. Nobody can go outside most of the summer here in WV. I could sell a ton for you if it works.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I would love to test some but it looks like they are gone for the year. If you can repel them you will be making a lot of money. Nobody can go outside most of the summer here in WV. I could sell a ton for you if it works.

44man, this is what I have been using for years, I've never seen anything to beat it and when I went on fishing trips in Canada it is the only thing that would work on "Black Flies" and mosquitoes. Once it was put on correctly I never had any problems. Before it, I used to get eaten alive. I did a complete study of the whole situation so trust me I know what I'm talking about.
    I think I'm all out but if I can find a bottle of it I'll bring it up next time I visit.

http://www.muskol.com/en/product/classic_liquid_40ml/
    Last edited by Changeling; 10-04-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Banned

It won't work for them damn deer flys that buzz your eyes, so most likely not.

Banned

I used the Muskol years ago. Works well but contains DEET. I hate that deet and is one of the reasons I developed this stuff.,

Banned

I used the Muskol years ago. Works well but contains DEET. I hate that deet and is one of the reasons I developed this stuff.,
    I don't like it that much either. I still have half a case of military repellent. Helps but they still form those clouds in front of your face. This stuff will melt certain plastics, paint, etc.
    It is hard to read but I think it says N, N, Diethyl-meta toluamides-71.25%. I forget the meaning of DEET.

Boolit Grand Master

Now that Obozo has appointed a "Carp Czar", maybe he should appoint a "Stink Bug Czar".
    1Shirt
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I don't like it that much either. I still have half a case of military repellent. Helps but they still form those clouds in front of your face. This stuff will melt certain plastics, paint, etc.
    It is hard to read but I think it says N, N, Diethyl-meta toluamides-71.25%. I forget the meaning of DEET.

DEET is the abbreviation for the ingredient you identified. It does have some drawbacks like supposedly melting some plastics. However I have never had a negative experience I know of.

It was developed by the Government. Any commercial formula usually contains some % of DEET usually from 10 % up to 100%, the Muskol that I have/had contained 60% DEET.

SO, when you look at any can/bottle of insect repellent read the active ingredients, 99% of the time it will say DEET or N, Diethyl-meta toluminides in some percentage, witch or one and the same thing, (I can't spell it either).

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    Now that Obozo has appointed a "Carp Czar", maybe he should appoint a "Stink Bug Czar".
    1Shirt
    Are you kidding, look at the millions he's spent to get/keep the job.

Banned

I had a stink bug on my bench today and did some experimenting.
    I found a drop of Birchwood-Casey no. 77 black powder solvent will kill a box elder bug right now. I put a few drops on the stink bug and it kept right on trucking. I put the bottle away and when I came back, the bug was gone. It must have flown away.
    Long ago I had a large centipede in the bathtub so I got everything out of the medicine cabinet and dripped a drop on it. Iodine, mercurichrome, etc. Nothing. I tried everything and went and got some nitric acid. One drop and it EXPLODED! Some bugs respond to lead poisoning only, drop a 500 gr boolit on them, works everytime.

I don't know about the "normal" states but here in the Peoples Republic they quit selling the only affective bug spray we had. Diazinon will kill darn near anything. I used to carry a squeeze bottle with me when I was way down South because it would kill/repel scorpions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EOD3 View Post
    I don't know about the "normal" states but here in the Peoples Republic they quit selling the only affective bug spray we had. Diazinon will kill darn near anything. I used to carry a squeeze bottle with me when I was way down South because it would kill/repel scorpions.
    Organo-phosphates like Diazinon are a long way from state of the art today. Many, many products out there today that are way safer for mammalian contact, the environment in general, and work better than Diazinon ever did.