Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: .401-175-TC Major Load-Powders?

Boolit Buddy

.401-175-TC Major Load-Powders?

I've never been concerned with reaching major power factor until recently getting involved in USPSA.

I cast the Lee 175 grain TC which means I want to load to 950 fps.

I currently use Bulleye but it's not really capable of hitting that velocity without serious over pressure.

I use Bullseye exclusively and don't really have any experience with other powders. I've been reading everything on the internet about potential powder selections.

I'm thinking of WSF, HP38 (same as 231), or Universal Clays. Does anyone have any experience with these powders in .40? Any other powder recommendations?
    Last edited by d_striker; 09-24-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I preferred AA#5 in my .40. I don't recall the powder charge, but it made 1000fps which is exactly 175 power factor with a 175gr cast bullet.

950fps x 175gr = 166,250 which is MINOR, not MAJOR. 950fps x 180gr = 171,000 which is still not MAJOR.

AA's data doesn't show that #5 should make major with cast bullets, but #7 does. They do show loads with #5 and jacketed that do make major. It seems odd to me that the jacketed are making less pressure than cast with the same powder charge....

Hogdon's powder burn rate chart shows both Universal Clays and Winchester Super Field as faster burning than #5, but their data indicates that both are capable of Major with 180gr jacketed(no cast data).

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Boolit Master

There was mention immediately above of using AA #7 in the .40 S&W with 175gr Lee bullets. I've shot a lot of this combination in a Beretta 96 with good results, but it does leave a lot of unburned powder about. Strangely, the cases and barrel are quite clean.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    I preferred AA#5 in my .40. I don't recall the powder charge, but it made 1000fps which is exactly 175 power factor with a 175gr cast bullet.

950fps x 175gr = 166,250 which is MINOR, not MAJOR. 950fps x 180gr = 171,000 which is still not MAJOR.

AA's data doesn't show that #5 should make major with cast bullets, but #7 does. They do show loads with #5 and jacketed that do make major. It seems odd to me that the jacketed are making less pressure than cast with the same powder charge....

Hogdon's powder burn rate chart shows both Universal Clays and Winchester Super Field as faster burning than #5, but their data indicates that both are capable of Major with 180gr jacketed(no cast data).

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    major is 165 now.

what length will your mags take?

5 grains of Solo 1000 or 5.3 of W231 would be a good starting place. Work up as needed.

I am currently using bullseye, but am loading long.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richbug View Post
    major is 165 now.

what length will your mags take?

5 grains of Solo 1000 or 5.3 of W231 would be a good starting place. Work up as needed.

I am currently using bullseye, but am loading long.
    I'm not certain. Longest I've loaded has been 1.135". Gun is an xdm.

Can you share your bullseye load, length, velocity, etc?

Boolit Master
    My SW 1006 likes the 170 gr TC with 10 gr blue dot. It is a nice shooter and very accurate. Velocity is around 1150 with low SD. But the 1006 is a 10mm not a 40 so....
    ph4570

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    [QUOTE=richbug;1008438]major is 165 now.

I guess that shows I've been out of IPSC for a while.

If 165 is now Major, then AA#5 would still be my choice. There should be no problem with WSF or Hogdon Universal, and they should all meter well through a measure and burn cleanly. The comment about #7 leaving powder behind would be reson enough for me to not want to use it in an auto. Another powder that I would choose is SR 4756.
    Last edited by excess650; 09-25-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you tried Brian's Forum?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

You should be able to find out what you want to know over there in the reloading section.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Heath View Post
    Have you tried Brian's Forum?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

You should be able to find out what you want to know over there in the reloading section.
    Yup. That's primarily how I narrowed it down to those three powders.

Still, there is a bugger knowledge base over here regarding cast boolit loads.