Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Feeding problem 375 M94 XTR

Feeding problem 375 M94 XTR

I am casting the RCBS 37-250-FN and the Lyman 375296 for a 1980 model 94 BB XTR 375 Winchester. The problem I am having is that neither bullet is feeding into the chamber but the flat noses of the bullets hit right at the bottom of the chamber mouth. The mouth of the chamber is very square, one friend suggested that I throat it like a 1911, but I am not crazy about that idea. The other solution is to get the lift to raise the cartridge higher. Does anyone know about this or have a fix for this problem? I really want these bullets to work in this rifle.

Banned

trim your cases,seat deeper maybe over the front drive band.
    my 92 in 44 mag done the same thing with the long nosed 429421 boolit
    and my 45 colt with the 454424.
    i modified the carrier some,but trimming is much easier.
    i had to grind the stop on the carrier back on my 44 so's the round would slide back further and come up a bit higher before going iinto the chamber. simulating a slightly shorter round.
    and i simply crimped over the front driving band with the 45.
    i'll be working with the lyman 375 mold in my marlin and win shortly.
    i have used the magma 265 gr mold before and have had no problems with longer 38-55 brass or shorter 375 super mag rounds in either of these.

you might also want to take a bit out of the rails to allow the nose to come up a tad higher. [where the case contacts them] before the bolt pushes the case forwad.
    anyways i'd try seating deeper first. if you can get one to work this way and it's the only rifle you got in this cal then i'd measure and trim [and reduce the load accordingly] back to where the crimp groove is.
    unless it's a rediculous amount.

Boolit Master

glockster157;
    R5R has given you some good solutions IF they are necessary.
    One of the most common feeding problems shooters have when dealing w/a new LA is that they are too gentile when ooperating the action.
    It's a hunting rifle, not a target rifle, and designed to be operated "smartly'.
    Try it before making any permanent alterations.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

One thing I have noticed is that when I move the lever to full open the cartridge lines up fine with the chamber. As soon as I start the bolt forward, whether fast or slow, the lift drops slightly. Then the bottom of the flat nose on the bullet catches on the lip of the chamber. If work the lever a little and jiggle it will finally move up and go into the chamber. I will try seating some a little deeper, maybe up to the curve of the ogive. I was just wondering about the lift dropping now. I have owned many a Marlin but this is my first Winchester in 30+ years of shooting, I am ashamed to say, so I am not very familiar with the way the action operates.

Boolit Master
    That is typically how the Win 94 operates, and seating deeper just a little should solve all.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Banned

in the 92's theres a little ball and spring that clicks into place when the carrier is all the way up you can hear it when moving the lever all the way down.
    the 94 is similar and this area collects a lot of debris.
    generally you hear a schlick schlack sound when working the lever if it's a bit out of time it could just be the ball slipping out it's on the left side as viewed from the top.
    my newer browning 92 is very oal sensitive and will not work with any of the rounds i normally use in my other 44 leverguns , so a look at book oal is prudent.
    as it will work very smoothly with rounds at or under saami specs.
    but i always will work with the ammo right off before the gun, especially with a semi-collectible.

I tried seating the bullets deeper into the case a little at a time without any luck. The nose of the bullet still hits the bottom lip of the chamber a little more than halfway up. I tried racking the lever back fast to see if the tray would raise it higher. I also press down on it with the lever back and halfway back. It has some spring pressure on the lift arm/gate, whatever you call it, but it is not lifting the round high enough. Is there a way to make the tray lift the round higher?

Shorter did not work but longer did. Seated the bullets out to 2.550 on the 375296 and 2.500 on the 37-250 and they feed fine. It forces me to crimp between grease grooves or in the first grease groove but at least they will feed.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by glockster157 View Post
    Shorter did not work but longer did. Seated the bullets out to 2.550 on the 375296 and 2.500 on the 37-250 and they feed fine. It forces me to crimp between grease grooves or in the first grease groove but at least they will feed.
    There is an ear/tab on the lifter/carrier that limits rearward travel of the cartridge as it comes from the mag tube. You have not stated whether this is a rifle that you obtained new or used. If used, previous owner may have modified that tab for some reason.

That tab can be added to to not allow the cartridge to move as far rearward as it does now. This requires disassembly of the rifle.

Or, you can continue to seat the boolits out for longer OAL.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

I picked it up used. I will look into that. I need to learn how to disassemble a 94 anyways. I like to be able to work on my own guns when needed. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    The carrier should not drop when the bolt starts forward. As suggested, cast a critical eye on the carrier spring.

Quote Originally Posted by glockster157 View Post
    In this case why would a longer OAL cycle more reliably?

Sorry to revive a really old thread but I'm having the same issues with my 94BB. I have them at 2.556 OAL (Lyman 375296 & RL7) and the carrier isn't bringing the round up to feed angle.
    It sits down stuck inline with the tube. My plan is to make some dummy's at different lengths and see if something will work better. Some of the rounds seem to feed with a smart lever pull so I figured that maybe they came off the press at different lengths. They measured within a .001 of each other so I don't think that's it. My factory loads are cycling perfect and always have, and are at 2.55ish so I think it has more to do with nose profile than length. Any other thoughts?

I'm going to bump this up one more time before making a new thread. I seem to have the same problem as the OP but I'm not sure longer would be my answer. Anyone have any thoughts on my post above?