RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow, look at all that smoke!

Boolit Buddy

Wow, look at all that smoke!

Shot a pistol match last Sunday and I was first on the first stage, of course. I was using my cast 180gr .40 boolits lubed with homemade moly lithi-bee lube. Well, the stage was 19rds with 10 peices of steel and the targets were in the shade and the sun was in my eyes. After a few shots all I could see was white smoke and no targets. About half way through the stage I could hear people laughing at all the smoke...that's usually a bad sign! I made it through that stage and luckily had enough jhp ammo to finish the match.
    I've been shooting cast for many years and should have known better than to try to use these with the sun in my face and when the shooting position is basically one place.
    I still love this load, I shot three hundred in practice the other day and afterwards, there was no sign of leading in my barrel and it is very accurate. My combo works it just smokes like Goex FFF.
    I love it!.
    EG
    Be the bullet...

Don't sweat the smoke. In a gun fight, if you do your job, your attacker will never notice the smoke nor will you.

Banned

he could use the smoke as concealment.

Banned
    I have had my share of that over the years. I have found that the humidity level plays a big role in the amount of smoke. And, generally, there is no wind during high humidity days. So, if the match is on a very humid day, shoot jacketed.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The correct lube such as Carnuba Red and Clays powder will shoot cast bullets all day with out causing you any smoke problems. I shoot only BP so I know about smoke.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Man

Love the smell of lube smoke on the range...
    When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwilliams2 View Post
    Love the smell of lube smoke on the range...
    Its better than a double coffee.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Always be on the up breeze side of the shooting line.. then you get to do the laughing and the shooting.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I use Carnuba Red exclusively for pistol boolits. It doesn't make much smoke normally but on hot, humid days it sometimes gets hard to see thru the cloud of smoke at a match. Luckily in IDPA and USPSA you are usually on the move.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

Smoke and morning sun

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

One of my first IPSC matches (1981) I was staring stright into the sun in the early morning. Warm, humid and no breeze. Ammo loaded with Unique and boolits lubed with RCBS green stuff. After a few shots, I had to shift to the side to be able to see the targets and finish the stage.

The morning sun shining on the gun smoke was like hanging sheet in front of me.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master

Sell that formula to the Navy, they won't need a smoke screen!

Can I guess, you are using BE or TG? Shooting WST & Carnuba red, very little smoke in any caliber.

Boolit Master
    My first boolits were .38 wadcutters. After I loaded up my first 50, I was too excited to wait for the weekend to go to the outdoor range where reloads were Ok. I smuggled them into the indoor range and shot at the lane against the wall (I knew that 2.7 gr of Bullseye wouldn't blow up the place).

I was paranoid because they made such perfect holes in the paper, but mostly because I was making lots of smoke from the Alox lube, and the smell was different than any other ammo there.

Boolit Master
    I would love to do a chemical analysis of the smoke generated from cast boolit loads. Wouldn't surprise me to find it mostly carcinogenic.

Boolit Master

Friday morning as I was walking to the cafateria at Friendship the first relay on rifle released a volloy, as much as I love B/P I coughed.

Nah I think if a woman had that for a perfume, she could find a working guy.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
    I would love to do a chemical analysis of the smoke generated from cast boolit loads. Wouldn't surprise me to find it mostly carcinogenic.
    This made me laugh. I've actually added some smell-good to my lube. It was some **** from Hobby Lobby for candle makers. Whatever it is, it smells great.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane View Post
    This made me laugh. I've actually added some smell-good to my lube. It was some **** from Hobby Lobby for candle makers. Whatever it is, it smells great.
    Wow, you guys censor the word C-R-A-P?

Boolit Master
    The recipe I use is 3 pt BW to 1 pt lithium greese. no smoke and it works verrrrry well . all that greese sounds good but lube migration and smoke have lead me to the 3 to 1 mix.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

A few years ago in a lube discussion, Starmetal posted a chart of the smoke points of various natural oils that could conceivably be used in boolit lubes. One of the entries with a high smoke point was hemp seed oil. That would probably make for a lube with a real different smell....
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    A few years ago in a lube discussion, Starmetal posted a chart of the smoke points of various natural oils that could conceivably be used in boolit lubes. One of the entries with a high smoke point was hemp seed oil. That would probably make for a lube with a real different smell....
    Dude, where's my gun???? Let's just skip the range and go to White Castle instead.