Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long for a Rattle Snake to know it's dead?

Boolit Master

Snakes are the Debil..
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My father always said that "a rattler don't die till sundown". I never timed one to see if it's true.

Generally speaking, snake makes pretty good fish bait.

Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    others like the rattler have live young ready to bite! (there the size of worms I'm told)
    That's funny, my buddies & I call them buzz worms, even the big ones.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Wow so much misinformation on this one. I am overwhelmed. They die when you cut off the head. The nerves keep them moving. They do have a brain. They don't have external ears but do sense certain sounds and do pick up vibarations from the ground thorugh their bodies. The head can deliever a bite after is is severed due to nerve reaction.
    I eat rattlesnake once in a while to remind myself why I don't eat it more often. It is pretty good when fried and treated properly. But if it isn't it is nasty.
    Why do otherwise intelligent people have such a fear of snakes???????Wes
    Oh yes it is a learned fear. Humans are not born with a fear of snakes. Chimps are but humans learn it from other humans.
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

OK, who said they were afraid of snakes? Own up! Your manhood has been besmirched by the snake psychiatrist. Y'all know the whatever-phobic remarks will only get worse.

Boolit Master
    I don't exactly like snakes in general and a if I found a rattler out in the rocks I would let him go. If I found 1 around my house , he's dead chili. Copperheads and water moccasins are different. I would kill them on sight anywhere if I could.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

Sometimes a good dose of fear is a good thing.

Since I'm a Christian and read and believe my Bible I know it says in Gen 3:14-15 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above cattle, and every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heal.

I talked with our science teacher yesterday on a break, and she did confirm that snakes have brains, just that there tiny, and don't do a whole lot of thought process like ours do . . .

I was too tired/lazy when I got home last night, the snakes still napping in the freezer!
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't particularly like to kill anything unless I'm gonna eat it. Therefore.... unless I find a rattler around a home I just leave it alone. If it's around a house or in a populated neighborhood, it's gonna become a belt or a hat band. If I get a call from a friend or neighbor that there's a rattler in the area, I try to get some dry ice from Publix put it in a cooler, get my snake stick, and put the varmint in the cooler. By the next day they're toast, then into the freezer for a few days. Take em out, let them thaw a little and start skinnin. Clean all the meat off the skin, and tack it down scales down to a board or piece of cardboard. Cover it with NON-Iodized salt for a couple of days. then soak it in heavily salted water for about 4 hours. Take it out, roll it up and squeeze the water out. Buy yourself a bottle of snake tanning solution from Tandy Leather. wipe it on the inside of the skin and let it dry. then spray the scales with clear shellac, that will keep the scales on a bit longer. Good luck and don't get bit...

Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

bhn22
    Anyway... it the damn thing dead yet?

I didn't watch the video, I hate zombie movies.

Boolit Master

Well . . . it is still in the freezer, probable not moving . . . maybe on my lunch break, I'll take it out to skin . . .
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    That's one famous snake. He deserves a name, something vicious, like 'Sid'. Scarin' folks all over the place, that's not right. I think you should reattach the head and let him go. Poor thing.

Boolit Man
    Cut it into silver dollar sized pieces. Cut across the spine between the ribs. Dust with corn meal or flour and fry in butter. That's as good as it gets. (Not saying it's good, just as good as rattlesnake gets).

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

When I get a ratter I just cut head off pull skin back no spliting just remove like a sock dont baby it just pull Oh skin towards you meat away unless you like guts on you.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

Well I did it!

This afternoon I took the snake out of the freezer, let it thaw for awhile, then pulled the skin off! I was not able to keep the little coontail or the rattles hooked on like I wanted too . . . but that's the way it worked out!

Stretched it out on a board, with the skin against the board, it sure is long, even with out the first 4" or so of it's head, and the last 6-7" of it's tail it is still 47" long! I ran out of board!

So I cleaned it up a little better, then cut it into 4" chunks:

Took some course cornmeal, and some fresh ground spelt flour, added some salt and pepper, rolled it around . . .

Got about 2" of canola oil hot, and dropped them in for about 5 minutes . . .

Let them cool a tad, and ate 'em up!

I only cooked two chunks, as my wife is out, but I'm gonna offer her some! The really are tasty little appetizers! The day I brought it home and talked of eating it, she said she didn't want any, but . . . I think I can get her to try one! The backs on the outside have the most meat, I think the next ones I'll only cook for four minutes . . .

It ain't squirming anymore! It's DEAD!

ETA: Well my wife came home, and was all excite to hear I was making her a special appetizer! Then she saw the bowl, and said what's that? I ain't eating snake! So I said sure you are, it's good! At least you'll be able to say you ate it! She reluctantly agreed, and ate one bite! And let me eat the rest!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 09-25-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Next time, use silver boolits.