Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you got a big gun?

Boolit Master
    The baddest gun I own is just a 45/70.
    HOWEVER I also have a rather large revolver......... in 45/70
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

my 458AccRl is as bad as i need! 500gr at 2300 if needed. Large Boom Big Flop Clint

Boolit Buddy
    when people ask me why i bought a 500 mag. or 50 cal or even my 44 mag, i just have to have the fun by saying because i have a small penis.

the look on their face and the silence is priceless. it got old saying because i can, because the second amendmit allows me to, and the worst was the argument over how a 50bmg is useless cause a 30-06 is all you need to take down deer/elk.

Boolit Master

We had a circus winter quartered just across the road from us when the kids were small. Every thing was fine when the owner was home but when he went out selling shows, some of the help was less than dependable managing the critters, so I felt the need for a rifle for the biggest critter in the neighborhood. I found a Simiase Mauser in 45-70 partily finished cheep. When you fill the case with powder and strike it off, then seat a big bullet, scopes dident last so I put iron sights on it. 5 rounds and I had a recoil headache for 3 days. I don't load like that now but the load is still in the notes just in case.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

I don't have any circus critters handy but we've got some vicious squirrels that need thinning out! I've grown quite fond of big bore side by side double rifles. I've got 450 NE's a 500/450 NE and recently a 600 NE single shot falling block. There's a pic of it in the single shot show and tell thread.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I truly enjoy shooting my CZ 527 .223. Ditto on on 6.5 Sweede I have. The venerable '29 model 94 in 30-30 is really fun to shoot. I also enjoy my M-1 with cast loads and the 8 x 57 MM I also have.

All these guns have one common denominator......lotsa fun and manageable recoil.

Recently I bought a BPCR rifle in 50-90 Sharps. That thing with 695 GR cast boolits and 102 gr of Swiss #1 is downright painful and not fun at all. I fired off 15 rounds and put it away until I bought a decent shoulder pad to tame it down.

It still kicks and bucks very heavily but it is not painful and I can fire off as many rounds as I like without suffering. It is fun and very accurate to boot but expensive to feed as the brass is pricy and it eats a lot of lead.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    We can count ourselves truely blessed having so many calibers and weapons to choose from ........ and for the most part so freely!

Most others do not have such choices.

A Simms recoil pad is truely worth it's weight!

And lastly,

416hardcasttaylor and Frank505 have me yearning a .416 Taylor ...........

Enjoy whatever you chose!

Three 44s

Boolit Master in Heavens Range. man.electric's Avatar
    The biggest rifle in my collection is my .458 Varmint gun. When it comes to the whitetails that grace the north woods, 27 out of the 28 I have taken with a rifle took one round to do the job(most with my fathers .308). This spring I started to ponder that if you are firing one round, that you might as well make it a big one. I would hate to be in heavy brush and be charged by a wild chipmunk. The sound of gnashing chipmunk teeth in thick cover would require at least a .458 to subdue.

I am afraid of no weapon or beast. My only fear these days is of positive pregnancy tests. The economics of a second child scare the hell out of a guy these days!

Boolit Master

A Thomson Center .54 muzzleloader makes easy to see holes thru deer and coyotes.

The wild pigs at the farm have not given me the opportunity to try out the .54 on them, but I suspect it will produce the one inch thru both sides hole.

No one has made comments about the .54.

Boolit Buddy

My method of ending their BS

I really enjoy letting the loudmouth in the crowd touch off a full power load in my 4 5/8" Casull model 83. They either shut up, out of respect after doing so...or head to the emergency room to get the gash in their forehead sewed up!!

Quote Originally Posted by home in oz View Post
    A Thomson Center .54 muzzleloader makes easy to see holes thru deer and coyotes.

The wild pigs at the farm have not given me the opportunity to try out the .54 on them, but I suspect it will produce the one inch thru both sides hole.

No one has made comments about the .54.
    54s are for ******* I put together a John Bivins 1770 Lancaster in 58 and although my skills produced an ugly beast my choice of componenets produced a rifle beyond accurate and a joy too shoot.

Freud was also a coke addict and believed thoughts about having sex with your own mother was somewhat normal. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into anything he said.
    Make mine a .460 S&W, the more gun the better.
    Not bragging but the only complaints I get from the wife is when theres too much going on.
    On certain occasions, you just need to have a gun. When being attacked by a 1000 pound grizzly bear you don't pepper spray him like he was a mugger in central park. - James Norton

I have a "big gun" and its purpose is to compensate for my inadequacies.

Specifically, I'm pretty inadequate at chasing down deer and elk with a sharpened piece of obsidian.

Boolit Master
    around here they are making up for marksmanship. they miss with a 30-30 next year they have to have a 30-06. miss with that then onto the 300 mag. one guy has got himself worked up to a .375 whereby mag.

same with muzzle loaders years ago a .45 would do just fine. now a .54 is the smallest you should use.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have a 45/70 pistol I tell people at the range its my wifes purse pistol and she loans it to me from time to time, Beside shooting it the second best thing is everyone in the shooting booths popping off their 22s to 45 acps and I drop the hammer about the second shot they all stop shooting and are trying to find out what the heck iam shooting. I guess thats the kid in me, Alot of people in this area dont think a pistol will shoot farther then 50 ft and I get alot of strange looks when I sit down on the 100 yard range and start popping the bowling pins. They are hanging from rope and the rifles just swing them but that 405 gr boolit has tried to spin them and when it got to top of the swing the rope broke sending the bowling pin about 30 yards back up the range Priceless.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Bub
    Pfft...

40MM

I carry them across my back, to compensate for the weight of the "tripod" leg in front.