Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionMCD Products

Thread: S&W 22A opinions please

Boolit Buddy

S&W 22A opinions please

I just bought a sw22a. unfortunately i had to go on the road before i could shoot it. I already called smith and they are sending me some spare bolt buffers. anything else I need to know about this gun?
    Have lead, Will cast

Moderator Emeritus

Mine is a shooter.My best day was 8 out of 10 on an 8" plate @ 100 yards offhand. I used federal bulk ammo. Enjoy it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Mine wasn't so good.It also had some target stocks, which made it even worse. (altho it looked and felt good in the store.)

I ended up trading it for a Ruger 22/45...And I'm much happier now.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is accurate,reliable and has a trigger like a Glock,aside from the trigger its a great gun.

Boolit Master

Mine is accurate and I have a Bushnell Trophy red dot on it I like the built in scope rail and my trigger is great. It shoots so well I got rid of my Marlin Model 60 rifle as all it did is sit in the gun cabinet I take the Smith out instead. With the Red dot I can shoot it as good as the rifle at reasonable ranges. (25 to 50 yards) When I got mine I did a search on the net at the forums and I have seen more folks praise them then knock them.

Shoot it and enjoy it they are a nice gun.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

Mine is accurate as all heck. I use it for my 22 portion when I shoot Bullseye Pistol. I shoot mine with Winchester T22 ammoand it does just fine. I still use the iron sights. I recommend buying the extra bolt buffers. They will wear out on you over time.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy

Smith 22A

I purchased a new 22A with the intention of using it in Bullseye matches. It is a 7 inch, fluted , stainless , target barrel model. Out of the box it would not hold a 10 inch group at 25 yards off a bench. Customer service at S&W blew me smoke about it not being a "target" pistol. Their online store promotes it as suitable for serious target work. I eventually got permission to return it to the factory for evaluation. It cost me an arm and a leg to send it second day air as requested by customer service. No pickup tag available.
    When I got it back it wore a new barrel. Note enclosed suggested I may have gotten a "bad" barrel. It now will hold decent groups, but nothing outstanding.

I have since bought a Marvel Longslide and have been happy. Very Happy.

Boolit Buddy
    finally got to shoot mine today, I put a bsa red dot on it sighted it in and was shooting walnuts out of a tree in no time. unless something breaks i think i'm gonna enjoy this gun.
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Master
    If you don't compare it to a high standard, its great. I like it better than a MKII myself. Like the mag release, like the trigger curved around my finger, and it has a good feel to it. In all its a pretty accurate little gun with a decent trigger. Has not let me down in a few bricks of bulk. I think you will be happy with it.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1002702

Quote Originally Posted by sagamore-one View Post
    I purchased a new 22A with the intention of using it in Bullseye matches. It is a 7 inch, fluted , stainless , target barrel model. Out of the box it would not hold a 10 inch group at 25 yards off a bench. Customer service at S&W blew me smoke about it not being a "target" pistol. Their online store promotes it as suitable for serious target work. I eventually got permission to return it to the factory for evaluation. It cost me an arm and a leg to send it second day air as requested by customer service. No pickup tag available.
    When I got it back it wore a new barrel. Note enclosed suggested I may have gotten a "bad" barrel. It now will hold decent groups, but nothing outstanding.

I have since bought a Marvel Longslide and have been happy. Very Happy.
    Mine shoots as good or better than the Ruger MK II Government Model I used to have and that was deadly accurate. Most all of the reviews I have seen these shoot very accurate. Too bad you got a bad barrel but if it holds decent groups now is that with open sights or a scope or red dot on it? If it is with open sights consider putting on a scope or a red dot and you will be surprised.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.