Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Answer Please

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River

Answer Please

Folks,

I purchased a Lyman 4500 Bullet Sizer & Lubricator from one of our fine members and it came in the mail today. He didn't tell me it was new so I was very surprised when I opened the box.

Can anyone please tell me where I can get a .432 sizing die (most likely a special order) and top punch for this new toy? Also, if I use Larsen's Carnuba Red will I need a heater?

Thanks folks,

Dave
    Last edited by VTDW; 11-16-2006 at 10:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Dave-
    Lyman & RCBS sizing dies/top punches interchange so you can get either one, usually the Lyman's are about a buck or two cheaper. Try Midway, Midsouth, Graf's etc. as to the where. I have yet to try Lars' lubes, (I have to use up the stuff that came w/my 450 first), but from all the reports I've read, the Carnuba Red does require some heat. That can take the form of a Lyman heater, an oversize aluminum plate that you set a yard sale clothes iron on or a heat gun/hair dryer; depending on your budget/time constraints. If you're like me with your new toy, you won't wait for something more permanent and you'll swipe the wife's blow dryer this weekend just to try it out . Good luck with your latest toy.

-Klaus
    Last edited by klausg; 11-16-2006 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master
    You will need heat with the carnuba red. I use a propane torch for about 20 seconds per side. Just wave the flame on the luber, it doesn't even discolor the paint.

I now have an iron and piece of aluminum. I have some aluminum for sale too.

David

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

The spelling police are NOT involved here, but....

IF you ever intend to search for that hard Brazilian wax on Ebay or maybe some other info sources, you will MISS a lot of results.

The wax is called "C-A-R-N-A-U-B-A", remember, "carnAuba" NOT "carnuba". Try a search on Ebay and you'll get ten times as many hits with the CORRECT spelling.

While you're at it, please drop the "n" from the word "T-U-R-R-E-T"; this is a real peeve of mine. I strongly suspect the "n" in "turrent" is swiped by those folks from the word "varmint", which they love to spell as "varmit".
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

a turrent might not be such a bad thing
    http://www.altadisusa.com/cigar/aTurrent-ss.asp
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    The spelling police are NOT involved here, but....

IF you ever intend to search for that hard Brazilian wax on Ebay or maybe some other info sources, you will MISS a lot of results.

The wax is called "C-A-R-N-A-U-B-A", remember, "carnAuba" NOT "carnuba". Try a search on Ebay and you'll get ten times as many hits with the CORRECT spelling.

While you're at it, please drop the "n" from the word "T-U-R-R-E-T"; this is a real peeve of mine. I strongly suspect the "n" in "turrent" is swiped by those folks from the word "varmint", which they love to spell as "varmit".

I so agree,,,it's almost too obvious.

Super Moderator

...............Dave, I just used some of the Carnauba Red the other day. WHile it does require heat, it doesn't need as much as some other stuff I'd been using. I had the press loaded with some green stuff, that when at room temp was pretty stout. It required a fairly high temp. When I ran out I wanted to try the CR so I reloaded the press (still pretty warm) And cranked down to get the CR up to the die.

It began leaking past the ejector pin and also pushing the boolit up out of the die. I had to wait 30 minutes or so for the press to cool down before I could begin lube-sizing again. After that I'd only switch the heat on for maybe 10 minutes out of every half hour or so.

Re: The die. I can make the custom die for ya. Send me a PM. Or you can get one done by Stillwell. I forget the name of his website.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    a turrent might not be such a bad thing
    http://www.altadisusa.com/cigar/aTurrent-ss.asp
    If'in I wanted to get rid of sheeters, I'da used a skeeter coil or burn some hoss sheeet, rather than burn those expensive thingos!

Mick.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...............Dave, I just used some of the Carnauba Red the other day. WHile it does require heat, it doesn't need as much as some other stuff I'd been using. I had the press loaded with some green stuff, that when at room temp was pretty stout. It required a fairly high temp. When I ran out I wanted to try the CR so I reloaded the press (still pretty warm) And cranked down to get the CR up to the die.

It began leaking past the ejector pin and also pushing the boolit up out of the die. I had to wait 30 minutes or so for the press to cool down before I could begin lube-sizing again. After that I'd only switch the heat on for maybe 10 minutes out of every half hour or so.

Re: The die. I can make the custom die for ya. Send me a PM. Or you can get one done by Stillwell. I forget the name of his website.

..............Buckshot
    Ah Ha, Buckshot you da man!!!!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for replying to my post for a .432 sizer/lube die for my new Luber.

Just let me know what you need from me and I will get right on it.

Tnx again,

Dave Williams

williams.dave@sbcglobal.net

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    The wax is called "C-A-R-N-A-U-B-A", remember, "carnAuba" NOT "carnuba".

Bruce,

Carn-A-uba is the Canadian spelling. Just like Coke A Cola.

Southern neighbour you are quite correct on the spelling which puts you in the centre of the Spelling Center. Or is the the center of the centre? I hated spelling is school; it was not a labour of love. Not much on grammar either.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Spelling is something best left to witches!
    BIC/BS

You're beginning to sound like Carpetman.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Bub
    Varmint- what's that a prairie dog that smells like peppermint instead of sage?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    You will need heat with the carnuba red. I use a propane torch for about 20 seconds per side. Just wave the flame on the luber, it doesn't even discolor the paint.

I now have an iron and piece of aluminum. I have some aluminum for sale too.

David

Wjatcha mean an iron and alumiummumm???..

Has anybody considered or tried using heat tape like they use for keeping pipes warm in cold temps? I wold think a short section wrapped around the lube cylinder would work, though maybe it would get too warm.

Moderator Emeritus

Most heat tape for pipes has a thermostat that is on at 35* off at 38*. Far too cold for a lube warmer. If you need to use a lube that must be heated there have been good reports of a 100 watt bulb set next to the press or a small magnetic engine heater put on the side of the lubesizer. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I tried heat tape before I got a lube heater. It got warm but not warm enough to flow rooster red.