Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armadillo Recipe's

Armadillo Recipe's

Thinking about adding armadillo to the menu.

Thoughts on the idea.
    Anybody have a good recipe for possum on the half shell?

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

When the Law no longer protects me from the Government
    The Law no longer protect the government from Me.

Boolit Master

Better you than me!
    We have them here and they are miserable.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Possum on a half shell

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Banned

I have heard of people making sausage out of them but have no first hand experience.

I have also heard that because they have the exact same 98.6 degree body temperature as humans, they can carry diseases that are communicable to people, including leprosy, which has been found in some, so be careful.

Banned

Look at this concerning the leprosy connection;

http://http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALT...osy/index.html

Boolit Master
    Aramdillo; the other white meat! When I was a teenager, my cousin and I used to have armadillo BBQ. It's not bad, and there is a lot meat. It was later in life that I learned about leprosy and left the little armored delicacies alone.

G

Shoot em in the head and leave em to rot!!! They were'nt made for food to man.... Though I have tasted 'em and wasn't impressed. For all the folks that say don't shoot them just for the fun of it, I agree with you. But they make a hole in the ground and that breaks legs off my livestock. I don't like them and neither do the horses or cattle or dogs or cats or goats or any other thing on my ranch....... Therefore, the armadillo's are out numbered.......

JMHO

The Dove

Boolit Master

harvesting armadillos.

Drive down a country road early in the morning. Every time you see a dead armadillo, stop and spray-paint a circle around it.

Go home for the day.

that evening, drive the same route. Any armadillo without a circle around it is fresh. Take it home for your recipe.

dale in Louisiana
    (and I haven't eaten an armadillo)

Boolit Buddy
    This is the best armadillo recipe I have found. Take one Ruger Blackhawk and a stiff loaded 140 gr. FTX bullet and you have fresh armadillo or as some call it - possom on the half shell....

Boolit Grand Master

I have eaten many armadillo, consider them prime eating. A real PITA to get out of the
    shell though. The best we came up with was to cut the shell down the middle of the
    back with tin snips and skin them from that side, much easier than the other side, the
    normal belly way, shell is too stiff in one piece to cut under them to separate from the
    shell.

We gutted, cut off head, feet and filled the body cavity with turkey dressing, put it on
    it's back in the oven covered with alum foil and baked like a turkey. EXCELLENT. The odd
    thing is that one end is bright red meat like beef and the other end is white meat like
    pork. Both are good, but totally different on the ends.

Once we tried it, we hunted them for meat for years when I was a kid in north Fla.
    IMO, one of the best small game meats. My whole family liked it and wanted us to
    shoot more. We tried a bunch of other stuff and rabbits, squirrels, quail and armadillos
    were the best. Possum is nasty smelling, raccoon is not fit to eat a second time unless
    starving to death, rattlesnake is real good but a bit of a pain with all the bones.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    MtGun44
    I find that interesting what you say about eating armadillos. Do you have them up there in the KC area. Down here in the Ozarks they are everywhere. Everybody shoots them on sight. Have one neighbor that has killed about 200 since the first of the year. She goes out looking for them because of the damage that they cause in her yard and flower beds.

Anyway I have never heard of anyone eating them but I guess if you where hungry enough a person could eat anything....................Terry

Boolit Mold
    As for recipes, I don't have any favorites but find that the 'dillo works great in any recipe that calls for pork. Substitute the pork with your freshly caught Hoover hog and eat well. A slow-cooker is your friend here. The things just beg to be BBQd. +1 on tackling the thing from the shell side; it's easier and you can bypass all the ticks in the process. I try to remove as much of the fat as I can before cooking as it's not very tasty.

I spent some time working in TX and hit a few with the truck, never once thought about trying to eat one. If I ever get back that way maybe I'll have to try it out.

Boolit Buddy
    Rather eat nutrias. At least they are vegeterians. Coon is good if first parboiled with a tablespoon of liquid crab boil for about 10 minutes, then grilled. YUM. Made this in deer camp one year (was a young coon). Wasn't enough to go around for 3 guys. Rattlesnake is good in a beer batter (tempura). Bones on outside of meat.
    Jeffrey

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

To see a really interesting shot effect, shoot an armadillo with a 100 gr varmit bullet from a 270. It's rocket time!

Boolit Mold
    Armadillo holds the distinction of being the only game I can reliably catch/kill with my bare hands. They're so oblivious/blind that it's amazing that they're not extinct. They're my go-to meat source for those over the top SHTF conversations.

Boolit Master
    I see a rare one ran over on our roads but they haven't got here in numbers yet, to dry, and mostly to cold in the winter time. They are kinda like fire ants just to open and cold here. Down where my son lives both are a huge problem. Might be the altitude here it is right at 4000 ft and rising to the west and NW.
    Frank G.

In Remembrance

They are plentiful here about 100 miles East of you Freightman, 2500 ft. elevation.They are tearing up my yard every night, the only thing around that's had any water on it. I've read that a litter of Armadillos always number 4 and are identical quints, so they are all male or all females.

When I was in college, a friend of mine had permission to hunt Armadillos on a small farm because they would dig in the fields looking for insects to eat. A 22 rimfire rifle makes a fine Armadillo gun. After we opened up the shell we boiled it for a while until it became tender. I think we put some onions and carrots in the pot also. It tasted a lot like pork and was very good. I have heard Armadillos referred to as Depression Pork. However, since Armadillos are carriers of leprosy, it would probably be best not to eat or handle them.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 08-24-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Boolit Master
    I've heard they also can carry tuberculosis.