Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox

Thread: New Marlin XL-7 in 30-06 with Hornady 165Gr SST Help and Thoughts?

New Marlin XL-7 in 30-06 with Hornady 165Gr SST Help and Thoughts?

Well I picked up a new Marlin XL-7 in 30-06 of which I plan to hunt with this year and at the same time planning what type of load to shoot out of the rifle. So I felt since I wished to have good range capability out to say 300 yards I picked the Hornady 165Gr SST Bullets to try with some IMR-4350.

Anyone use this Bullet ? I would like any thoughts or input for this cartridge and this rifle. Thanks in Advance.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

That looks like a good rifle!
    It looks like a Fagen stock. Comfortable, points well. At least in my Mauser.
    I might start with 147gn FMJ, so you can break in the barrel.
    I bet it shoots well.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like you are starting off with the right rifle, right bullet and probably an excellent powder. I was seriously looking at the XL-7 or XS-7 when I found a Savage 16 FSS in .308 and ended up with that. The Marlin looks really well built and designed. There is a Marlin forum for the XL and XS rifles, it has a lot of good info.

I wish I could help you with the 30-06 but I just load cast in that caliber. For jacketed bullets I use .308 with 155 Palma, 175 or 168 Match Kings, or the Hornady equivalent of the 168 MK. All shoot very well. For hunting the 165 SST or 168 A-Max would seem like a really good choice (if the 30-06 likes the same bullets as the .308 and it probably does)

If memory serves (yeah right) 4350 fills the case pretty well, that would be a good thing. BLC-2, Varget, 4064, either 4895, 748 and other powders all work very well in the .308 and most other calibers. If the 30-06 is powder insensitive like the .308 is then you have a lot of powders to choose from.

The .308 likes the bullet kissing or close to the lands, maybe the 30-06 is the same. If the XL has a long throat then it might take some testing to see what it likes.

Front bag position makes a lot of difference in my 700 VS rifles that have the HS Precision stock, it's sort of springy like a diving board. Hopefully the XL stock won't be like that since it is made for light barrel contact near the front. Front bag under the scope bell can work very well for some rifles. Then there's cheeking and thumbing, some stocks don't care what you do others need just the right hold even off the bags.

.308's like a firm but not hard front bag, maybe the 06 is like that.

Careful that the rear bag doesn't contact the bottom of the pistol grip during recoil and that the sling studs don't contact a bag.

After the first firing I just use a Lee collet die for the 30-06, .308, .223, etc. The cases are dedicated to a particular rifle or rifles that they work well in.

Hornady makes a nice seating die with sliding insides to give concentric seating, it seems to work very well.

Lee's case trimming setup works great using the electric drill.

I like Sweet's 7.62 copper remover and Shooter's Choice solvent. Don't leave 7.62 in the bore for more than a 5 minutes or so. If the patch comes out blue it has removed copper, green is bronze from bronze brushes. If there is no color the barrel doesn't have copper or bronze in it. I like to finish with a swab of CLP, it prevents stuff from sticking to metal. A new barrel might only get 10 to 20 shots before copper buildup starts to decrease accuracy.

Don't know how far along you are doing this stuff, heck, you probably already know the above and more.

Let us know the results when you shoot the rifle and keep us updated as you progress with it.

MikeS

Thank you for all of the info. I have not had the chance to shoot the rifle as of yet.

Thus far I have loaded some try out rounds with the IMR-4350 starting at 55.0 Gr up to 57.0Gr in 1/2 Gr increments. And will try my stash of Wolf Large Rifle Primers.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    I am waiting for range reports, these Marlins look very well build for an "economy" gun. I have read a few articles in gun mags about them and they are all positive whats not in a gun mag. Cant wait for real accuracy reports.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    Several of the 06's that I have loaded for like the 165 Sierra HP ahead of 58.0 grns of IMR 4831. That load is unbelievably lethal on deer. I would work up to that load with the Hornady's. I have not loaded any 30 cal SST's, but have tried them in my 7mm. I don't think they are as accurate as Sierra's or Barnes X bullets. But to be fair, I have only tried them in one rifle with 4 powders.

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I am waiting for range reports, these Marlins look very well build for an "economy" gun. I have read a few articles in gun mags about them and they are all positive whats not in a gun mag. Cant wait for real accuracy reports.
    Here you go.

Update since I have no idea why people say the Hornady 165Gr SST will not shoot lol. Took it out today with some loads at 100 yards even with the wind gusting over 30MPH and got this out of my Marlin XL-7 30-06.

It may not be fantastic but I am darn happy with it thus far. Now I have to load some more and sight them in correctly.

I did about the same group with 56.0Gr of IMR-4350 but I feel if the accuracy is about the same why use up extra powder. So I think I will stick with the 55.5Gr Load for this season.

Just an FYI the Remington 165Gr Core lock would shoot almost as well.