Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD Products
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30x57 & 35x57

Boolit Grand Master

30x57 & 35x57

Based on a couple posts I made in other threads several members have PM'd me for more info on the two cartridges I mentioned for cast bullets in Mauser rifles. These are the 30x57 and the 35x57. Both are made from 8x57 cases by simply FL sizing them in the shortened '06 or 35 Whelen die. They can also be formed from '06 or similar cases which allows customizing the case to fit the chamber.

These two cartridges have 5 major attributes;

First is the case is perfect for Mauser actions. The length is correct allowing for heavier bullets to be used without seating them below the case necks. The case taper is the Mauser taper that the magazine and feed rails are made for, hence they feed slicker than the scum off a Lousianna swamp.

Second is case capacity; It is just slightly more than a .308/.358 Winchester so with correct medium or slower burning powders loading density is close to 100% when using medium and heavier cast bullets in the 2200+ velocity range.

Third is; The long '06 length neck. This allows most bullets to be seated to the base of the neck and the lube grooves are covered. Also the longer neck gives additional support to the bullet during initial accelleration.

Fourth is; the ease of which cases are made and the fact that regular dies are used. No special custom dies are required. I shorten the dies .288" for both cartridges. With both the FL and seater shortened you are set to go. Though I'd also use a shortened NS die.

The fifth attribute is in chambering; I shorten the dies and form 3 cases. These are used as headspace guages. The barrel is then chambered using standard '06 or 35 Whelen reamers. A tight neck match reamer for the '06 might be better though for the 30x57. Both reamers are readily availabel to rent or buy so no custom reamer is involved.

I'm looking at ordering a pre-threaded Shilen 26" match stainless barrel with a 14" twist (for either caliber) for a Sporter M98 of mine. I've already got the '06 reamer so I might go that route. Below is the shortened 30x57 FL die, a 30x57, a 8x57 and an '06. Note that the neck on the 30x57 is longer than the 8x57. The 30x57 case is formed from an '06 case and is trimmed to the max AOL the chamber of my reamer allows. This is another attribute for both cartridges is that cases can be formed for and exact fit to the chamber. This is especially benificial in the neck area when using cast bullets at higher pressure/velocities. Sorry I don't have any 35x57 as the dies went with a guy who already has one and loves it. The 35x57 is the same as the 30x57 so you should get the picture (is that a pun?).

Anyways I've pondered a long time as to the best cast bullet cartridge for a practical hunting rifle built on a Mauser action and these two cartridges are what I believe to be the best answer. Hard choice to make between them.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 04-25-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Boolit Master

I like both !!

I almost bought a 9 X 57 last fall

How dose your 35 x 57 differ from it ?

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    Thanks Larry... I love Simple!!! MV

Banned

that 35x57 looks good and tempting!

do you need to have custom dies made for it? What dies do you use? I read the above but just didn't get it..

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by johnch View Post
    I like both !!

I almost bought a 9 X 57 last fall

How dose your 35 x 57 differ from it ?

John
    The last factory ammo I saw for the 9x57 was Speer/DWM with a 247 gr bullet listed at 2310 fps. The 35x57 has just a tudge less capcity do to the slightly longer neck. The guy I sold the dies to is getting right at 2200 fps with a 358009 which is around 280 gr if I recall correctly. I do not know the load. I figure 2200+ fps with a Saeco #352 245 gr FP or upwards of 2400 fps with the 35-200-FP RCBS. RPM is 113,207 and 123,499 respectfully so accuracy should be quite good at those velocities.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    that 35x57 looks good and tempting!

do you need to have custom dies made for it? What dies do you use? I read the above but just didn't get it..
    Blammer

That's one of the really nice things about both cartridges; no custom dies needed. The 30x57 die in the photo is a standard RCBS FL die that has just been shortened .288". The seating die is shortened the same amount as is a neck size die. RCBS standard dies all.

The 35x57 dies I had were also standard 35 Whelen RCBS dies that were shortened the same .288".

No custom reamers needed either, standard 30-06 and 35 whelen reamers are used.

Larry Gibson

Banned

cool! How do you shortend the die?

Boolit Master

One of the gun writers has been championing a .338X57 cartridge for a while, though I can't recall just who. I read an article he wrote and I wondered what it would do that either .338 Federal, .338-08, .358 Winchester, or just plain old 8X57mm Mauser wouldn't do? He never did explain that to my satisfaction, so I pushed it out of my mind until right now.

If there were a better selection of .323" j-word bullets available in this country suitable for use at 8X57mm velocities, I honestly don't see what a .338 would do that it won't. A .35X57 now, that's a different matter entirely! You could use 250 and 275 grain bullets, assuming that you could move them fast enough to expand them. Otherwise a 200 or 220-225 grain bullet would be the way to go. There's a much better selection of boolits available in .358" than there is in .323, also!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Cast Boolits Owner

I remember a gun writer that had an original sporter mauser who's barrel was in very bad shape. He wanted to keep the original barrel with markings so he had it bored to .338 and did the 338 x 57. I do not remember who it was but the article was good.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    One of the gun writers has been championing a .338X57 cartridge for a while, though I can't recall just who. I read an article he wrote and I wondered what it would do that either .338 Federal, .338-08, .358 Winchester, or just plain old 8X57mm Mauser wouldn't do? He never did explain that to my satisfaction, so I pushed it out of my mind until right now.

If there were a better selection of .323" j-word bullets available in this country suitable for use at 8X57mm velocities, I honestly don't see what a .338 would do that it won't. A .35X57 now, that's a different matter entirely! You could use 250 and 275 grain bullets, assuming that you could move them fast enough to expand them. Otherwise a 200 or 220-225 grain bullet would be the way to go. There's a much better selection of boolits available in .358" than there is in .323, also!
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

Larry -

How would a 8x57 case (rimless) in .375 caliber compare with a .38/55 (rimmed) in terms of case capacity and capability? It seems like there is a pretty good selection of .375 boolits and barrels to choose from because of the interest in the .38/55. See where I'm going here?

Boolit Master
    Problem , as I see it is... There is Not a .375/'06... That I know of... The beauty of this system [to me] is the Simplicity!!! MV

Larry,

After shorten the FL die .288", what is the resulting head diameter of a full-length sized case? Having never personal chambered a rifle barrel, I'm wondering how easy it would be for a gunsmith to chamber to deeply. Wouldn't one need go/no-go headspace gages to properly chamber for the 30x57 and 35x57?

MJ

Boolit Master
    The last time I needed a go/no-go gauge set, it was for the '06... IE 6mm-'06 to 35 Whelen. [the headspace dimension is the same!! So.... an _X57 gauge would still be the ticket... No matter what ya call it!!! Or... as w/ most true Wildcats... the formed ctg, IS the gauge also.. But I don't of course know all there is to it!! MV

Boolit Buddy
    I played with a similar cartridge last year. I shortened and rethreaded a 30-06 barrel to fit a Big Bore Winchester. I shortened 30-06 dies and then used 444 Marlin brass. I only shot it with j-bullets so far but I have been planning to load some RCBS 180's one of these days. The picture shows a 444 case, reformed 444 case, 30-30, shortened 30-06 case and a 30-06 case.

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Problem , as I see it is... There is Not a .375/'06... That I know of... The beauty of this system [to me] is the Simplicity!!! MV
    I think I have heard mention of a .375 Whelan and even a .400 Whelan. Supposedly not enough shoulder to get consistent headspace on. You could use the .444 Marlin case necked down to .375 (.375 JDJ). A little work getting it to feed I suppose.

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    As Scrounger stated, the 375 Whelen, 375-'06, has been around since the 20's or 30's. Nice cartridge.

This idea of necking the 8mm down intrigues me. How about a 284x57? Be just about the perfect medium game cartridge. Oh wait, .284=7mm=7x57.......never mind. There goes my million$$$$$$$.

Smile

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to when the 8x57 is such a good cartridge already...
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Moderator Emeritus

The advantage I could see would be bullet availability. You can have a great shooting bullet made for the 8mm or find one. With the 35 there are so many it fuels a tinkerer's fream not to mention that checks are easier to find and cheaper. That is probably why the term "need" mentioned with any gun is guaranteed to get a laugh from a wife. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    As Scrounger stated, the 375 Whelen, 375-'06, has been around since the 20's or 30's. Nice cartridge.
    Darn that COW... Does indeed mention them.. but my printing merely mentions... I'm the kinda guy that needs Pictures!!!! Darned if COW don't prominently display the 10.75X57 though... No matter .. I stand corrected.. MV

Boolit Grand Master

racepres

RE our traffic about the .300 Savage with a longer neck. Here's a couple shots of my PMCBC .308. The left is the PMCBC and the right is a .308 Win. The PMCBC has close to the same capacity as the .300 Savage. However I've had nothing but feeding problems with the PMCBC in all Mausers except the single column magazine ones. I had to do considerable alteration to the M1916 action I barreled to it to get it to feed.

Remember the 30 and 35x57s are designed with Mauser actions in mind.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 04-25-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast