RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 Cavity Mihec 44 Brass Hollowbase Wadcutter

Vendor Sponsor

Yes

Both .432 and .434 (I have more .432 than .434)
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Buddy

.432 HBWC mould

Hi Miha-

I received the .38 HBWC mould and I really like it! I missed the .44 HBWC group buy but would like one of the .432 moulds if you still have an extra available. PM sent. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Has anyone received their mould yet?

Expecting mine to arrive any time now EDK. Looks like the 45's are arriving already. Got the 45 hbwc today (7/22/11). Still waiting for this one.
    Last edited by hicard; 07-22-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

In Remembrance

Should be here soon. the 38 version only took a couple of weeks.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Ask and it will happen

Miha, my friend, you are THE MAN. Once again I've gotten a great mould from you.

My mould was here when I got home from work today. It was 102 here in Saint Louie, but I had to cast a short run of boolits. Sprayed the mould with brake cleaner, fired up the MAGNUM MELTER, and it's show time!!! Mould specced at .434; as cast .434 or .435 boolits. Brinnel hardness 8 alloy...next cast will be at 10 BH. 217 grains with one lube groove filled.

Good boolits AFTER I got the mould and pins hot...since I got eager, the melt could have been warmer and would account for the rejects in the first run. I remelted the rejects and sprues and got a bunch of good ones then. There is a learning curve with brass hollow point/hollow base moulds.

I ran them through the .432 die in my STAR, but had the adjustments backwards...if the hollow base is in the cartridge casing, the top groove got lubed. I'll try a taper crimp until the .433 die from LATHESMITH arrives...dedicate it to this boolit and hope it will work with the MIHEC H&G 503 clone also.

Sunday update Loaded over 7.5 HERCO in 44 magnum brass; taper crimped. Groups from 7.5 inch Original Size VAQUEROS with blackened stock sights (one had 2.5 inch trigger pull) at 25 yards ran 1X2 inches. Several groups had four holes touching vertically. It's only 95 at noon; hopefully the expected thunderstorms will cool things off and I can cast again.

Thanks again, Miha

Last edited by EDK; 07-24-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: addl

Boolit Master
    Mine arrived today. Very nice.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Buddy
    Mine showed up at my door today-- that's 4 for this month alone-- I've been told I'm banned ( wife) from CastBoolits until the end of next month.
    As always--very nice.

Steve

Got mine today. Looks great Miha.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Buddy

Disconcerting package condition

My mould came today. It was wrapped in bubble wrap, because the box was crushed shapeless, and sodden. The packing material was wet, and the sprue plate has rust spots and the brass is discolored. The inserts and other accessories were fine, being in a tied plastic bag.
    No blame attaches to Mr Prevec, the mold had been packaged with the same care he had used with another mould received earlier this year. Someone in the postal services dropped the ball badly between Slovenia and here. I was just lucky enough of the address survived for it to get here. I hope no one else had, or has theirs come in a similar condition.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ilwil View Post
    My mould came today. It was wrapped in bubble wrap, because the box was crushed shapeless, and sodden. The packing material was wet, and the sprue plate has rust spots and the brass is discolored. The inserts and other accessories were fine, being in a tied plastic bag.
    No blame attaches to Mr Prevec, the mold had been packaged with the same care he had used with another mould received earlier this year. Someone in the postal services dropped the ball badly between Slovenia and here. I was just lucky enough of the address survived for it to get here. I hope no one else had, or has theirs come in a similar condition.
    I'm glad you got it. Sorry for you that the shine was already off. They are really beautiful when new. But was the mold damaged in any way that affects casting? Hopefully not!

Boolit Buddy

Re: disconcerting mould

Apart from the sprue plate being permanently marred, I think it will cast fine. I have to wait a while though, as I put my shepherd down yesterday, and I am am not in the mood to cast.

Boolit Master

Well, good thing the mold was brass and not iron in this case.

Very tough news about your dog. I pray you will have the strength you need in this challenging time.

In Remembrance

Sorry to hear about the sad news with your dog.

Miha is a great guy, and if the mold doesn't work wonderfully, then I am sure that he will ship you another one (you'd need to ship the damaged one to slovenia). In any event, he will want you to be 100% HAPPY. At the very least, he can send you a new sprue plate!

When you feel up to it, try the mold, and send a PM to Miha.

Sorry again about your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilwil View Post
    Apart from the sprue plate being permanently marred, I think it will cast fine. I have to wait a while though, as I put my shepherd down yesterday, and I am am not in the mood to cast.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy

Thank you gentlemen, for your kind words.
    Gun people are often dog people too, and we understand one another.

Vendor Sponsor

I still have some over order molds!

If you are interested please PM me.
    www.mp-molds.com

Vendor Sponsor

I still have some over order molds!

If you are interested please PM me.
    www.mp-molds.com

Boolit Master
    Just got one of the surplus molds and the design on the pins on this one confuse me. Usually the pins have sockets that match the smaller hex-key, so you can loosen them. These don't have those, they instead look sort of squared off in the middle. Whats the proper tool for opening these? Tried a tong and only managed to marr the thing.

I really preferred the hex key versions that has come on all my other molds, never a problem there.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by HDS View Post
    Just got one of the surplus molds and the design on the pins on this one confuse me. Usually the pins have sockets that match the smaller hex-key, so you can loosen them. These don't have those, they instead look sort of squared off in the middle. Whats the proper tool for opening these? Tried a tong and only managed to marr the thing.

I really preferred the hex key versions that has come on all my other molds, never a problem there.
    Newer molds have allen key pins. I still have some assembled molds with older pins.
    www.mp-molds.com

Boolit Master
    Is there some kind of tool that would fit on the older pins, or do I need to use a spanner?

EDIT: Well the spanner did it, as well as waiting until the mold got hot. Cast a small batch of bullets with it today that I ran through my Star, base first. I got one row plugged on the die though so I think I will need to get a new die for this one so I can have both grooves lubed.

Last edited by HDS; 08-26-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast