Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: RCBS 82153 309-200-sil dimensions

Boolit Mold

RCBS 82153 309-200-sil dimensions

Hello all, first post for me but I have been lurking awhile. Im loading some subsonic 7.62x25 tok for my ar and i need some help with bore-riders. Is the RCBS 309-200-sil nose diameter in the .300-.302 range? Ive tried the LEE C309-200-r and shes a bit large on the nose and i dont wanna have to nose size. The reason im looking for specific bore-riders is so i can keep the stock throat and shoot surplus and subs. Thanks guys

Boolit Mold
    bump. Anyone? just a few simple measurements. OAL, nose diameter, base diameter, and distance from nose to first driving band

Check one of the older Lyman manuals, but you can change nose size some by changing your alloy. Linotype makes the largest boolits if I remember right. Perhaps a straght lead / tin alloy will give you a better size for your gun? I don't have the RCBS mold, so I can't help you there, but I do have the SAECO 180 flat nose that I can measure tomorrow if that helps though I thinki it runs on the large side too. We used to be able to order Lyman molds that were undersize by specifying a "U" after the mold number. One other solution is to get a mold made by Mountain Molds to cast the weight, and size you want. The price is about the same as the RCBS mold, and maybe less expensive in some cases.

Boolit Master

Just happened to measure one tonight for another project. I can't imagine how it would work for your application, but here's the measurements:

Length overall (without gascheck installed): 1.166"
    Length from tip of nose to first drive band: (approx.) .750" (I didn't take this exact measurement)
    The bore-rider section is actually tapered. Near the tip-end of the bore-rider section, it's about .301" and as it gets closer to the front drive-band it goes up to .306" or so, maybe slightly larger.

I highly doubt this bullet is anywhere near usable for you, since you'd have to seat it out so far. (The full-diameter section only occupies the bottom .400" of the bullet. This will make about 1/2 the loaded round bullet and 1/2 case... Not exactly conducive to feeding in any firearm I'm aware of in this chambering from the factory...

Going to chamber an AR for this round, and try to get it to shoot both surplus and the Whisper-style rounds?
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks NHlever. And thank you 10mm. Yes ive already chambered three of them, All are 1:10 twist. Next im going to try a 9 and an 8 twist. Im hoping the 9 will stabilize the surplus and the 200grn. Thats why i want a heavy bore rider, to keep from having to throat the chamber so there is not alot of freebore when i shoot the surplus. I know the 8 will stabilize the 200 but im not sure if it will be to much rpm for the surplus. Looks like the rcbs won't work with the taper, guess ill try the 311299 lyman. Has their quality came back yet? I've been hearing some bad things about the newer molds.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    "Looks like the rcbs won't work with the taper, guess ill try the 311299 lyman. Has their quality came back yet? I've been hearing some bad things about the newer molds"

I bought the 311679 and 311644 molds in the past 6 months. Both were excellent in dimensions and roundness. Both cast .311"x.301" from both cavities, and both have tapered nose designs like the RCBS 200. I just ordered the 311299 yesterday....

My single cavity Lee 200gr also casts .301" on the nose as does my Saeco #301 200gr. Both are parallel nose designs.

RCBS and Saeco both make lighter "silhouette" designs in 30cal. IIRC, around 170gr.

I use the 160 grain RCBS Sil in a 30-30 contender with fine results...26 gr RL 7.