MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: 9.3 mold help

Boolit Bub

9.3 mold help

I just purchased a 9.3x57mm Swedish Small Ring Husqvarna from Alans Armory.
    Looking for some mold/boolit suggestions. I would also love to buy some sample boolits if anyone is interested.
    My plans are for medium loads using H4895 - not a lot of load data out there for the 9.3x57 but I think H4895 should work well.
    Thanks Todd

Boolit Grand Master
    Todd--

If we didn't welcome you to the board earlier, I'll do so now--WELCOME TO THE ASYLUM.

I have a CZ-550 in 9.3 x 62, and it shows a great fondness for the Mountain Molds 270 grain ogival flat point. This boolit was apparently designed by a Scandinavian member at Accuratereloading.com, "Eirik". Dan--the owner of Mountain Molds--is currently on hiatus from production while relocating his shop in Idaho. Check his website www.mountainmolds.com for progress reports and timeline info on return to production. I would be glad to send you some samples, PM me with address info for shipment.

Another source for molds of this size is NEI Handtools www.neihandtools.com
    They have several designs available to fit your caliber.

All of the 9.3mm molds I've researched that require gas checks use the .375" caliber checks.

One "out of print" mold that shot very well in my rifle was the Lyman #366408, a plain-based RN multi-groove design. These are scarce, but a few bulletmakers list castings as being available in that form.

A good start point for loading data with castings might be 16.0 x Alliant 2400, and work up from there. I did that with the 9.3 x 62......started at 18.0 x 2400, and now use 23.0 x 2400 and get 1"-class groups at 100 yards (3-shot) and about 1700 FPS.

For J-word bullets, "Cartridges of the World" shows IMR 3031 data for this caliber--47.0 grains with the 232 grain bullet giving 2330 FPS, and 43.0 grains with the 286 grainer for 2070 FPS.

If I may suggest it--the Nosler 250 grain Ballistic Tip might be the best mass-produced j-word bullet for your caliber. It's not a "soft" varmint type design--it's a controlled expansion game bullet, and shoots VERY well from my CZ. Its spitzer shape helps downrange, too. The Nosler 286 grain Partition is also very accurate in my CZ, but at 70 cents apiece they are rather pricey to shoot in large numbers. My rifle does not like the Speer 270 grain semi-spitzers. This is the only bullet tried in the rifle that it will not give at least decent results downrange.

Now--if yer REALLY a Crank Like Us--you could paper-patch some plain-based 38 caliber pistol boolits and stuff them into your 9.3mm cases. I did this a while back, using Lyman #358430 slugs in pure lead and given two wraps of 9# bond airmail paper. They shot GREAT! And if that isn't enough.....I used 9mm Makarov bullets (Hornady XTP's) to fire-form 35 Whelen cases when I first got the rifle. These got to about 2800 FPS with a case full of WC-852/fast lot, shot pretty well, and sorted out jackrabbits like nobody's business.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 10-15-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have to go the J bullet route, you might check into the PVI bullets that Graf and Sons have(at least I thnk thats where I got mine). I shoot them out of my 9.3 x 74R double rifle and it really loves them. Don't know the price now, but they were reasonable when I bought mine. I think about $16/100. Wonder about sizing down a .375 bullet to .368 to try in my gun, but the chambers are such that I only get two shots per case before they split(bummer at $1 a case) so I don't shoot it much.

Boolit Bub
    Guys - thanks for the info ... that will get me started. Since I have started casting the thought paying for some Jbullets just doesn't feel right. They are proud of some of the 9.3 bullets...$$$$$
    I have a Lyman 358432 mold and may try and paper patch some. If wrapping bullets is anything like xmas presents I will be in for a humbling experience.
    Thanks again Todd

Boolit Buddy
    Todd,
    If you don't mind, where did you get 9.3x57 dies and what did you pay for them?
    Greg

Boolit Bub
    Greg - I found some Hornady's at www.grafs.com -- price was $56.99
    Ordered them this morning.. I normally buy Lee Dies so I did have a little sticker shock. Rifle should ship today so I'm trying to get everything together.
    Todd

Boolit Grand Master
    Todd--check you PM's, I had a follow-up question for you.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Bub
    These are great rifles. I have four 9.3x57 husky guns and two in 9.3x62. The 9.3x62 with the 96 action has a little recoil to it.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Todd for the info. I am thinking of a 9.3x57 vs. .358Win vs. .35x284. The 9.3 is winning on ease of function in a 24/47 Mauser but I'd really like to be able to use pistol bullets for practice. I think there is a 9x57 but I haven't seen dies. If I need custom dies, I might as well go with the .35 x 284 wildcat. There's no stink on the plain .358 Win either. Decisions, decisions....

Boolit Grand Master
    Pistol bullets for practice.......the Hornady 9mm Makarov bullets are real close at .365", but 35 caliber has a lot more choices in that vein. The 9.3 x 62 gives about 100-150 FPS boost over the 35 Whelen in a given bullet weight class, but I'm not sure that matters to the game animal. YES, the 286 grainers make the rifle back away from the bullet rather strongly at higher load levels.

Boolit Bub
    Todd,
    I am using the 285grain hollow point mold from NOE. I am firing a CZ550 in 9.3x62. I gas check them, powder coat, and size to 367. Loaded over 48 grains of H335 I get 2100fps, and they are scary accurate.
    Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Todd, I bought the same rifle and the NOE mold, but have only shot the PRIVI condom bullets in it so far, very promising. I haven't even heated up the mold yet, its been way too hot to even think of it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    Plus 1 for the NOE 280 gr. mold. I shoot mine in a Ruger No.1 in 9.3x74 and it really likes 4895 powder. Varget is also good. I get good accuracy clear up to 2100 fps. with water dropped WW alloy.