RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air cooled brass annealing

Boolit Master

Air cooled brass annealing

Is it effective and correct to allow heated case mouths to simply air cool instead of tipping them over into cooling liquid? I was thinking of building a simple pull strip annealing jig and if I can air cool, it will be even simpler yet. Had not heard of such until reading the 4th Cast Bullets Handbook that just arrived. Seems Mike V. suggests less aggressive heating and air cooling can be effective.

prs

There is no need to drop an annealed case into water if the heating dose not include "over heating" . If you look at any of the comercial annealers there is only air cooling, in fact over heating is as bad as not annealing at all.

I give my cases a trip through the case polisher first and then the very first show of colour change to the rainbow-blue is easily seen and is suficient to properly anneal the case. Done in a good light it is easy to see, whereas those that advocate a darkened room cant see a colour change till the case starts to glow and that is way too hot and is why they water drop.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master
    Thanks! That is easy!

prs

Boolit Master

I believe water cooling the case is to insure the that the web areadoes not get overheated.
    It takes close to 600* F to do the job.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master

The key is to keep from softening the case head area. As long as it stays cool it will
    retain the hardness put in a the factory by working the brass (deforming it). If you soften
    the case head, the brass is scrap since ther is no way to harden with heat, only permanent
    deformation hardens brass ("work hardening"). Cooling rate after heating has zero effect
    except to prevent heat from traveling down the case.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 12-10-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post

Is it effective and correct to allow heated case mouths to simply air cool instead of tipping them over into cooling liquid? I was thinking of building a simple pull strip annealing jig and if I can air cool, it will be even simpler yet. Had not heard of such until reading the 4th Cast Bullets Handbook that just arrived. Seems Mike V. suggests less aggressive heating and air cooling can be effective.

prs
    I always did the water thing myself. As a child what w/Dad being a plumber telling me that heat/heat cycling of copper/brass hardens ~ just the opposite of ferrous metals, I never questioned it. I have observed that brass nuts used on exhaust manifolds tend to be brittle, not softer over time ~ ~ ~ ~ try it out and let us know?

yup... someone try it out and post the results please?

Boolit Master
    I've air cooled mine for years now. Works fine. Just don't overdo the heat. You don't want it to be glowing bright red. And a room with subdued light makes it easier to see what you are doing.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Master
    You guys might think I'm crazy, but I anneal cases for case forming with an acetelyne rig, with my bare hands. I did this the other day making 5.45x39 cases out of 223. If you dont anneal, and I mean get it red hot, the case crushes. Big bottles are cheaper than propane torch bottles

I take my torch and clamp it in my vise, get a good neautral flame going. Grab the case with my bare hands on the head, and rotate it in the flame for a second till it glows, then drop in water. The temp rises so fast it doesnt have time to spead to the head, my hands never get hot, if they do , somethings wrong.

All my highpower brass just get passed in a fish cooker flame for a few seconds till color change and dropped in water.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    .........The temp rises so fast it doesnt have time to spead to the head, my hands never get hot, if they do , something's wrong....... akajun

Correctly done. ... felix
    felix

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    .........The temp rises so fast it doesnt have time to spead to the head, my hands never get hot, if they do , something's wrong....... akajun

Correctly done. ... felix
    Felix, What do you think of holding the case about halfway to the head and rotating the neck and shoulder in the flame of a common parafin candle? When the case gets almost too hot to hold you just drop it onto a damp towel, then wipe the soot off. I tried this on some once-fired Western 29 (could that indicate made in 1929, I found them among about 100 ancient headstamped Krag cases at the range?) So far they are holding up fine. This technique was described in a recent Handloader or Rifle. It was attributed to "an old machinist" who had worked out this method by using temperature indicating crayons. I surely enjoy not having to be in a dark room with a propane torch, and not having to dry recently submerged cases!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master
    Bill--

Interesting, low-tech method. Does the treated area of the case do the rainbow colors mutation?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I do similar to the acetelyne torch method, but I use a propane torch.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Grand Master
    They're held in my hand, turned in a neutral torch flame, when the bluish line is just past the shoulder, dropped into a bucket of water. Grab another and repeat. It goes fast and they look like military brass when finished. With practice and a tempo, they almost all look the same.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    The only reason to tip them over into the water is to know which ones are done and you won't be tempted to pick up a hot one.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Bill--

Interesting, low-tech method. Does the treated area of the case do the rainbow colors mutation?
    No colors that I could see, just soot. Maybe annealing in normal fluorescent/sun light makes it harder to see colors. The cases were like-new shiny after tumbling but before annealing. But this way you don't have to SEE anything, each case sends a palbable signal when it is done!
    Last edited by NVcurmudgeon; 12-06-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Incomplete information
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Bill, it takes about 250 degrees to start the annealing process for a well made case if I remember reading the curves correctly years ago. Keep in mind the various formulas out there for cartridge brass. 70copper/30zinc gives about ideal hardness/toughness (best spingback is when the alloy ratio is perfect and is perfectly annealed???). Of course, war time supply dictates whatever case chemistry will exist. Annealing occurs for our normal cases beginning at a certain temperature, and the hotter the case temp the more anneal takes place. Dropping cases in water makes the temp go below the demarcation point, so all action stops DOA into the bucket. Always throw small cases into a water bath because coppered stuff has a good thermal xfer even after throwing them down. ... felix
    felix

I bought "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges" Book by Ken Howell.
    in it he talks about temperatures and suggests the hottest flame to get the temp up fast so heat won't spread to the base.

so the acetylene torch setup and fingers would fit in with his theory.

Boolit Master
    Do none of you boolit casters simply dip the necks in your lead pot for a couple seconds? Then into water or a wipe down with a damp rag.

well yes i do the lead annealing and have good results with it. steve k
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast