Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: swiss 1-1/2

Boolit Master

swiss 1-1/2

I just ran out of powder and started useing a new lot of swiss 1.5 The same weighed volume of powder fills my cases almost .050 higher than the old lot. That is on a 61gr load in a 40/65. Is this common for swiss?

Boolit Man

That's more than I've seen before. But I have only had three or four different lots. Did you mix your new powder well? I've found that it settles some and that leaves the larger granules on top. If you did, I would just load to the correct powder height and see how it shoots.

Boolit Master
    How fast the powder is poured into the case can make that much difference in height although Swiss varies much less than Goex with pouring speed and no where near as much as Pyrodex which is why Swiss is the easiest to get to shoot well with Goex being next and Pyrodex the hardest. Consistency is important, and pouring speed is way more important than the height of a drop tube.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The same weighed volume of powder fills my cases almost .050 higher than the old lot.
    Kid, my guess is this new lot of swiss is less dense than your previous one.
    Easiest way to determine this is: Fill a volumetric measure to the 100 line. Then pan weigh it. If the weight is less than 100grs ... this lot is less dense than your old one. Example, my current lot of Swiss 1.5 weighs 104.5grs
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    through testing for now- got to get loads ready for this weekend. looks like I will use less powder and same compression as old lot for now. Did not think changing lots would make this much difference?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    With the fine art of loading BP rounds you will not have too many boring days if you try to do better each time. Shooting BP has to be one of the most challenging sports that exists. I was a very hard bowler at one time and although I never rolled a 300 I came close with a 294.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Yep, gives you a great feeling about self,gun, and loads to take down several rams in a row. But sure is humbling then to have the pigs show what all can go wrong. I think I am closeing in on the 1-1/2 moa so there is the chalange.